Scott 299-D and KG 5.5

jkjome85

I recently aquired a pair of KG 5.5's. My quest is to find a nice amplifier for them. I have not heard a tube amp in person, but I have heard great things about them. I have heard good things about the Scott 299-D as well, but I have no idea how this would match up with my KG 5.5's? Opinions on an amp? Solid state of tube? Thanks!

I have heard the KG 5.5s only with Solid State...Outlaw 1050 Home theater...Nakamichi TA-2A STASIS...sound very nice and I found an improvement by adding Bob Crites (BEC on this Forum) Titanium tweeter diaphragms...LOTSA bass...good luck with the Tubes...that Scott is highly recommended by many...to the top and hopefully more will pipe in here for you......

Bill

I've owned KG 3.5's, 4.2's and 5.2's and tried them with numerous solid state and tube amps. I've also run them using a Scott 299A (which uses 7189 output tubes). The bass is a tad less tight but I'm not a bass freak and live in the mids and highs.

I really preferred them with a rebuilt Scott over any of the SS I tried them with. One caveat, I do not own high end SS gear. A lot less steel and grit, better soundstage and a more detailed presentation. Plus it has a very good phono section.

Even though I think the KG series is the best bargain in music, they can sound shrill. Tubes do smooth themout, and if you try Crites tweeters on a pair, I'd be interested in your reaction.