Bridge For Mono Operation

toolguym

Hi everybody.I have a Yamaha M-85 amp.I was wondering if any of you could tell me how to bridge it for higher wattage in mono.The reason I ask this-I have a chance to pick up another one.They operate in pure class A up to 30 watts.I do not know if the class A rating will double or not.I have been looking into tube amplification or really high end ss,but I think I will take some time(and save up a lot of money)before I make my choice.But for now the second Yamaha-If I can bridge them-is a good way to buy time without spending a lot of money.Thanks to any who reply.

Hi everybody.I have a Yamaha M-85 amp.I was wondering if any of you could tell me how to bridge it for higher wattage in mono.The reason I ask this-I have a chance to pick up another one.They operate in pure class A up to 30 watts.I do not know if the class A rating will double or not.I have been looking into tube amplification or really high end ss,but I think I will take some time(and save up a lot of money)before I make my choice.But for now the second Yamaha-If I can bridge them-is a good way to buy time without spending a lot of money.Thanks to any who reply.

To bridge the amps, reverse the phase of ONE channel's input cable and then connect the speaker to the positive terminals ONLY of each amp. The amps MUST be designed with a common ground for this to work.

Now that you know how, it doesn't mean you should. Bridging doubles the voltage swing the amp is capable of and effectively halves the apparent impedance the speaker presents. If you had La Scalas, the amp would see a 1.6 ohm load in the low bass frequencies, around 60 Hz. That may well damage it from overheating or overcurrent through the output transistors. You will not often exceed 30 watts through any Klipsch speakers. As stated above, biamping with an outboard electronic crossover (with time delay) would be a better bet.