Anybody cook with a "Green Egg" or a kamato grill

These types of grill are awesome, my late father-in-law had a green egg. He initially liked it quite a bit but he moved it and it cracked which made temp control very difficult. I am looking at these as well as Traeger pellet grills for my next smoker. We have a nice gas grill but need a good smoker. I know folks who have the Egg and they love it. I have tasted food cooked on the Egg and it was very good.

I had a Big Green Egg for years and loved it till it cracked. I replaced it with a Traeger pellet grill. The Traeger is great, I have smoked whole pork shoulders for 22 hours without having to touch it. If you get a Traeger get the digital control.

OK now for the cons. The Traeger does not get hot enough to sear a steak to my liking. I bought a TEC infrared for this.

The best steak I have ever had/cooked was by starting with a 2" ribeye or fillet at room temp, brush with olive oil with a clove of crushed garlic in it, then salt and pepper sprinkled on. Put on the Traeger at 250 deg. for 20 min the move to the TEC at 750 deg for 4 mins, 1 min per flip. This will yield a steak with a chard outside of only a 1/8" or so and the rest med rare.

rigma

I had a Big Green Egg for years and loved it till it cracked.  I replaced it with a Traeger pellet grill.  The Traeger is great, I have smoked whole pork shoulders for 22 hours without having to touch it.  If you get a Traeger get the digital control.

OK now for the cons.  The Traeger does not get hot enough to sear a steak to my liking.  I bought a TEC infrared for this. 

The best steak I have ever had/cooked was by starting with a 2" ribeye or fillet at room temp, brush with olive oil with a clove of crushed garlic in it, then salt and pepper sprinkled on. Put on the Traeger at 250 deg. for 20 min the move to the TEC at 750 deg for 4 mins, 1 min per flip.  This will yield a steak with a chard outside of only a 1/8" or so and the rest med rare.

rigma

Not trying to hijack just one more quick comment. The Traeger is what I am leaning towards I have a gas grill w/an I/R sear burner.

I have a Big Green Egg and love it. It does steaks as good as any I've had (look up TRex method on Naked Whiz site). It also does awesome briskets and everything in between. I can't say enough good things about it. Jon

I've always used a Brinkmann's smoker in various guises throughout the years. I've heard of people using the egg and they all love it. Unfortunately Iv'e never tasted their product. It takes a lot of attention and work using a brinkmann's, and if i had my drothers I'd go for a more 55 gallon drum based rig with a side smoker box. Something about the egg just doesn't seem manly enough. Think Ichiro in baseball. He gets great results, the stats are all there, but when you watch him swing you have to think girls softball. I mean look at his slap and run style its infuriating. I hesitate to judge though because after all its what you are putting in your mouth that counts. Just try not to think of Ichiro while you are doing it.

I've always used a Brinkmann's smoker in various guises throughout the years. I've heard of people using the egg and they all love it. Unfortunately Iv'e never tasted their product. It takes a lot of attention and work using a brinkmann's, and if i had my drothers I'd go for a more 55 gallon drum based rig with a side smoker box. Something about the egg just doesn't seem manly enough. Think Ichiro in baseball. He gets great results, the stats are all there, but when you watch him swing you have to think girls softball. I mean look at his slap and run style its infuriating. I hesitate to judge though because after all its what you are putting in your mouth that counts. Just try not to think of Ichiro while you are doing it.

The Big Green Egg is made in Georgia. It may have Japanese roots, but it is American and does BBQ like that Brinkmann can only dream about. You can cook a brisket at a steady 225 deg dome temperature for 24 hours and end up with some of the best brisket you'll ever eat. Jon

cooked a whole Pork tenderloin on the kamato as a trial run. this thing has a learning curve with the temperature. I cooked a 4 pound loin in 90 minutes. there was so much juice that it overflowed the cutting board- ran down into the knife drawers and made a big mess. The loin was phenominal. particulary for the first attempt. I highly reccomend a kamato or the green egg if you do any outdoor grilling. Mine was a 75.00 garage sale deal. New ones can get pricey.

The kamato really does a great job. Appears to have no functional differences from the green egg. If you can buy one right- do it. I am sold on this concept.

tasted some Boston butts cooked on a green egg- see no difference from my yard sale kamato.

I've done a turkey on a pals. Turned out yummy. Holds temp better than my Weber smoker. Can build them into a nice table setup. The Weber is a bit easier to manage smoke I feel. Maybe add-ons for the egg help.

Eggs are at Sams Club online right now I think. I'd get one if I didn't have ... ummmmm a few Webers. Might anyway if I get room, but I need a gas job for convenience next.

I'd suggest it's really about time and temp more than the particular grill, tho some are much easier to manage for smoking. Seems they rust, break, fall apart, chi, dent at different rates. And some tend to burn me more often than others. Might be the martinis.

Coked a Boston butt on the kamato- 2nd attempt- kept the temp UNDER 350 degrees-- and O M G . We actually ate the burnt fat scraps around th edges. Very little labor.. no cleanup.. just a lot of smoke. This grill is THE BOMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad you're enjoying it. I have a green egg and love it. You should check out www.nakedwhiz.com for some great recipes and techniques. I use the Trex method to cook steaks and it is awesome. The Mad max method of cooking turkeys is great too. Also, you may want to check out a temperature controller like the BBQ Guru. I use it to cook bridkets and Boston butts ovrnight and it us very handy.

Jon