OT: Viewsonic PF795 or Sony CPD-G400

skaplaya

Well I reached the common problem. That is. What monitor. The 19" trin sony cpd-g400, or the viewsonic pf795 19" monitor. I got a budget of about 600.00. The sony's a bit cheaper, but I'm going for quality, especially for dvd, and especially for full rez dvd 1600x1200 85hz. That simple. So which one?

LOL.. all I can tell you is I like my G400 http://www.klipsch.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ubbcount.cgi?expath1=Forum10&expath2=&topic=003344&type=&number=10 ] hehe.. perfect timing.

------------------

All Your Base Are Belong To Us

-------------------------------------

1GHz TBird

Abit KT7A-RAID

FOP38 & CuShim

Kingmax 256MB PC150

Annihilator2 32MB GTS

Intel Pro100+Management NIC

Promise Ultra100

IBM 75GXP 45GB ATA100 & Maxtor DMP6800 27.2GB ATA66

Plextor 16X10X40A Sony 12X DVD

SBLive! 5.1

AOpen HX08 Full Tower 300W

Sony CPD-G400 19" Triny

Pro 4.1 are comin!!!!!!!!

OK.. it is all objective here.. you may like something different than I - it is called oppinion.

------------------

All Your Base Are Belong To Us

-------------------------------------

1GHz TBird

Abit KT7A-RAID

FOP38 & CuShim

Kingmax 256MB PC150

Annihilator2 32MB GTS

Intel Pro100+Management NIC

Promise Ultra100

IBM 75GXP 45GB ATA100 & Maxtor DMP6800 27.2GB ATA66

Plextor 16X10X40A Sony 12X DVD

SBLive! 5.1

AOpen HX08 Full Tower 300W

Sony CPD-G400 19" Triny

Pro 4.1 are comin!!!!!!!!

I'm gonna tell you what you need to do:

1.) get your arse up out of your computer chair and goto a quality store where you can view both screens at 1600x1200 85hz. That simple!!

2.) Buy whichever one you like the best.

That simple!!

Everyone on the board will give you their opinion, and you need to take that into consideration that when someone says sony or viewsonic it is their opinion. It is your opinion that counts so you goto the store and check them out and find which one you like the best and then buy wherever you want to buy it at. Whether it be at that store you messed around with them at or online.. Do your homework online but do it also in the store where you can get hands on.. later

SONY G400 is the sheeeiittt. I this moniter my self and i am truely amazed about it. I would reccommend this moniter. If you haven't bought one yet talk to me about it. I have another SONY G400 sealed in a box unopen for sale. You can Email me at candykid@mail.com if you intrested.

Yup Seb, I'm comin in...

I wont do this all over again, just click on the link of paragon to get my idea of what sony's worth.

You could still look at this, I really love PCWorld, these are great guys :

The CPD-E400 figured 9th in the TOP TEN Choices of PCWORLD. :

quote:

FEATURES: 18-inch viewable area, .24mm-.25mm varying stripe pitch,3 up to 110-Hz refresh rate,1 Plug and Play ready,2 TCO'99 compliant, three-year warranty, 24-hour toll-free support.

SUMMARY: The CPD-E400 produced crisp text and rich, realistic colors, especially in photos. But you can find similar quality at a lower price.

Guess what is the first? The Viewsonic GS790. I have to admit neither of the G400 or PF795 are in the list. Maybe because of the quality, or the price, or becuz they have not tested those yet.

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,38983,pg,2,00.asp

Here is the URL, look by yourself.

I wont claim the G400 is a bad screen, it has what ever you would like from a good screen, I'm just wondering why getting a sony when the viewsonic is more often 100 to 200$ cheaper for same quality. But in your case, the PF795 isnt sell in Canada, so I cant really say, plus the fact that I didnt see it.

That was my point.

------------------

I'm the real Mike, and proud of it!

Well heres the problem with the store. I went to various stores, as far as sacramento which is hella far for here. Sadly, the e400 is the most common sony stock, the g400 took a while to find, but no luck on getting the chumps at the store to do anything but up the res a minor kink. Around here though, honest, viewsonic, except old arse ones are a pain to find. Guess its just a local deal. Honestly, I wish I could see both, I checked all the online reviews, and I checked magazines, etc. Simply I trust the people here more than I do most of the people on some of the reviews because I'm after picture quality and not value. I mean, price matters, but I'm not seeking a tag on the usb ports and etc, that comes with it. A lot of the reviews are for one model below to, simply I know some people have done similar research and are experienced. Im on the limited college budget and a monitor is a rare buy for me. So I just want to be sure, not that I don't want to go to the store. K. Thats all.

Well sory you couldn't check them all out in the store... there are a couple issues you ahve to think about though if you can't find either one around you locally like if it breaks, how long will it take you to get it fixed? I have to take my laptop to atleast one class everyday, probably 3 classes next quarter, and if it gets busted then I'm screwed over big time for that class as all my homework is done on it as well as most of my notes, not to mention my mp3's. SO anywho you have to think about that issue, I'm not gonna give you an opinion, I haven't used either one, people will give you all the reviews you can read and obviously you've read a few already, you just gotta choose which you think is best for your situation,

"You've been great I'm out" - george costanza

Are monitors that different in quality if you dish out over $500? And also, has the monitor technology progressed as much as computer chip technology the past decade or is it static? I'm researching which monitor is best also.

IS the price for the sony's more than the viewsonic's? I think that in the past thread someone was wondering why one would want to buy roughly the same quality product for more money. Well, if I had a three year warranty then I would like to stick with the company that won't get bankrupt within those three years. I don't know much about the other company, but Sony has less of a chance of bankruptcy. Again, I would appreciate more opinions on which monitor is best. Thanks!

I think all hitachi monitors have .22dpi. I happen to own a CM769 by hitachi which has the .22dpi and max res of 1600x1200 @85hz. It also has a slightly short neck, excellent quality, and no damper wires (which don't bug me anyway but...hey). Its not totally flat but its pretty close and it was cheap too.

-Gxcad

c>

NEC FP950 = $500.73 shipped

http://products.onvia.com/gen/search/sap.asp?storecode=Hardware&prodid=1695255

All I can say is I own this monitor and it's beautiful. Every one of my friends that comes over falls in love with it and hates going home to look at thier POS 17" or 15". I'm 99% sure it uses the same trinitron tube sony uses, so they will probably look identical. The On-Screen controls are really easy and to top it off, you have the high res of 1920x1440@73Hz. Not too many monitors can go that high smile.gif

Not saying it's necessary (atleast not for me) but this monitor is everything the sony is, plus a little more (resolutions/Hz wise) AND it's cheaper.

That's a hell of a choice...

As I said somewhere before, I dunno for Hitachi... and the .22 dotpitch surprises me. You are sure this isnt only aurizontal?

And for the NEC, well Nec has always made really great products. Not to say the best CRT there were. But unfortunately, they lost (at least here in Canada) the home use market for the companie use market. And, I cant say at all if the monitor is good or not, I never saw it. Actualy, it's been a while since I've looked a at new NEC monitor.

Sure like I said I would go with ViewSonic, their survice is quite great. I dont say the G400 is bad, actually, it's a really nice screen. Difference in specs are extremely small.

But If you ask me why I would take the viewsonic, first I would say cuz I have trust in this company, and also because it is extremely rare that I've seen a Viewsonic broken (I work in a store you remember... We take back the broken stock and our tech center repair it). And I've seen quite a good quantity of Sony broken, nothing higher than KDS or no names brand if you ask me, but still, broken ratio is bigger from what I've seen.

Anyways, it's still your choice, just too bad you cant look at them in stores.

------------------

I'm the real Mike, and proud of it!

Mike.... uh I was wondering, I noticed you mentioned that the sony's break a lot more than the viewsonics, do you have an opinion on why they actually do this (and don't give me sony's are crap) is it the tube, the wiring what?

Or maybe just maybe, if your store sells them, they put a little sticker on it taht says:

"when setting up, drop on floor. Plug in monitor, if it still works, drop on floor again. If it is broken bring back to the store and we will fix it, and recommend you buy a viewsonic monitor next time."

Just wondering......... you might want to use the button just to the left of the submit button as some of your words are a little crazy. (horizontal not aurizontal).

later

"you've been great, I'm out"- george costanza

Ok, that takes the cake...

You are not only stupid, but you are also really ****!ng anoying!

First If you cant accept that my english isnt perfect, well just try to write something in french and I'll have the honor of laughing at you.

Second, No we dont put those kinda stupid stickers on the screen. That was a really stupid joke by the way.

And third, did I say I was a Viewsonic employee or some other monitor company? I dont have any idea of why the Sony are coming back more often... They are just... Coming back more often, that's all.

A guy once said (sorry for the bad translation from french)

It's better to look stupid and shut up, than to talk and prove it...

Well I do apologize for the crude sticker joke, thought you might take it in all the sarcasm that was meant but I guess not... I do apologize.

My question was sincere, I just wanted to know if you had any idea of why the sony's kept coming back since you've seen them coming back more often.

not meaning to be smartarse but bonjour. It might be spell right, I don't know, just thought I'd type something in french. smile.gif

No harm meant mike,

"You've been great, I'm out"- george costanza