New sunfire Subwoofer

toussi1

smr_ces_158.jpg

Majestic 200 provides twice the efficiency and twice the output of the short-lived Junior product, which it replaces. Carver claims the active driver's 3" excursion and 3lb. box pressure combine to move 200 cubic inches of airoffering the same performance as the original 11" True model.

Its 8 inches square! TINY!

I always thought while sitting in the bathroom, won't it be cool to make the smallest possible subwoofer with really huge excursion... well here it is.

also the insides of a HGS-10 IS THAT A BIG MAGNET OR WHAT, the innner box is basically all magnet and amp!

------------------

http://www.autodirectsave.com

smr_ces_178.jpg

This message has been edited by toussi1 on 02-26-2002 at 09:18 PM

3"'s is a lot of movement for a driver thats only 8". I like the sound and the feel of sunfire. It really can create some majore output. Although with the load put on these little drivers I don't know how long you could expect one to last with even normal use. I have heard lot's of owner's having to take advantage of their warranties due to bad driver's.

It's nice to have a sub that's only 8" and can give you major output but I would rather have a 12" driver that can give you more output and have a life expectancy of twice or three times as long. Even if you have to vacum the darn thing every week because the carpet get's dustycwm37.gif

It is only logical to think these subs wouldn't last well. Look at COMPACT pro systems, they all have short-throw woofer that last for decades. I would not like to have a sub that was KILLING itself from normal use, thats reserved for friends.

I can't imagine the Sunfire's would sound as good as a nice 15 or 18 inch sub.

So you guys are saying long through woofers break? That don't make sense, since the motor structure is designed for long through. I guess the voice coil could wear out like a engine does. The surround nor the cone could be damaged in many years. I'm sure this thing has more output than many instore 12" subwoofers like Polks,JBLs,Sony's... For 8" cubed, it basically has a 7 inch wooofer except the surround probably takes 3 inches of it up. I would love to hear this thing in action. I was amazed how small the junior was when i saw it in the store, now its even smaller.

------------------

http://www.autodirectsave.com

it's not only the fact that it moves alot( and it does move because of its size vs output) the 2700 watt amplifier in such a small design. seems just too compact to me. I had the super junior and loved the sound but it does get a little hot when used alot.

I know that their are lots of adiophiles that really like this sub. Its true high end quality but Will a sub like this last you 5 years of solid use?

FLASH NEWS

I have my Sunfire Mark II since it was released!And it works A-1,never a problem,and it was pushed to its limits on movies,music and some bass experiments that shook the room.

Yes short throw 15 and 18" JBL drivers do last longer then say ultra long throw JL,Sunfire or Velodyne drivers.Why,the sourround is much less stressed,mechanical components go thru much less stress and there is much less compression in the box.

The thing is a Sunfire with no manufacturing defects will last many years.Unless you have it o full output and in a dry room with no tratment to its sourrounds.

I have four Bob Carver's subs and ALL work great.

The HGS10 has a large magnet but the Mark II and Sig have even larger magnets.The HGS series has a large cast ring on the back and its not a magnet,but makes the magnetic structure look huge.I know since I did open my HGS18 and inspect the driver.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I recently received the Sunfire Super Jr. I won it in an AudioRevolution contest I had entered for a Sunfire pre-amp. I got second prize, and I was thrilled (not that I needed more subs, but who could not WANT another sub?).

Unfortunately, I didn't get to run it through too many tests. I was selling my Denon 5700 when I got it, and now I'm waiting for an Outlaw 950, so it may not get much more testing for a while! What I can say is that, when I opened the box it came in, I had to call everyone over. It it shockingly small, almost looks like a toy. I expected it to be small, but this was amazing. But looks deceive (and perhaps size doesn't matter after all - or at least not as much as you think!) It seems really well built, and is really heavy for its size.

As for performance, it was impressive, all least for the short time I had something to hook it up too. It had more impact than my Klipsch LF-10 (which has broken in nicely, and I enjoy), but not nearly as much impact as my Sunfire Signature, as I expected (both these little subs look huge by comparison to the Super Jr.!) It blended in well with my system, and was nice and tight. It's really a great little (really little) sub. Bob Carver really pulled it off. Theears, there has to be a closet or bathroom in your house that still doesn't have a sub, I think you'd really like one of these!

I still want to get an SVS one day, but I can't criticize this little guy, even without breaking in, it was really pumping it up.

George,

You won a Sunfire Super Junior!Congratulations

I guess this says it all...

"It had more impact than my Klipsch LF-10"

You bet it has,and its so much smaller!Now imagine what Bob Carver could pull with a sub only the size of the LF-10!A SVS CS butcher LOL

I wish Bob Carver made a dual 15" or dual 18" Sunfire SuperSub,I would be the first in line to buy it.Price this beast below 5 garnd and I am in.WIth a dual 18" configuration this would no doubt butcher any non pro sub on the market.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Thanks, Theears

That's exactly what I was thinking. If Bob Carver could do so much in such a tiny box with tiny drivers, I would love to see what he could do with dual 18's. That would be unbelievable. I'd be scared of such a beast - but I'd want one!