Very bad day

For 6 years I have spent many hours afield with my friends german shorthair pointer. He was there for my use any time and spent a lot working him during the off season. Both of my boys shot their first pheasant over him. He was also a great companion in the lodge beging for table scraps and just wanting to hang out with the guys. Big John thursday was 12 and had to be put down today. This was an amazing dog and a pleasure to work with. He has the specal qualities that you see in maybe 1 out of 50 pointers.My kids are freaking out. This is like losing a family member.

You did loose a member of your family, the fact that he had four legs has nothing to do with anything.

I am sorry for your loss and the empty place you all feel.

We have had to put down or have lost 5 dogs in the last 20 years and it hurts very much each time.

Keep the memories alive and as long as you have those memories, he will still bring a smile to your face and a warm spot in your heart.

Indeed it is like loosing a family member. Loosing a great dog/freind such as this (I love GSP's) will always hurt. We have a 14 y/o Malinois who is getting long in the tooth when her time comes it will be a very sad/bad day indeed. You have my sincere condolonce on this. I simply offer you Roger Caras quote" Dogs are not our whole lives, but they can make our lives whole".

Sorry to hear this Win...I have more respect for some dogs than most people. I have bred Labs for many years. The last two I had... Sally and Mariah each lived to the ripe old age of 15. Mariah retrieved doubles in ducks at 6 months of age and Sally was the loyal family member that watched over the kids. She died at my feet in a very peaceful setting by the pool. .........

I sure miss them...

Thanks for the kind words- this was unexpected and came as a surprise. These hunting dogs are often swapped sold and traded around like power tools. kept in pens and used only for their intended purpose. This one had the unique quality to hunt like a demon until the last bird was in the bag and transform into a pet immediately. never ran off- always listened- strictly voice commands with an occasional whistle. Like having a remote control dog instead of those English pointers which is like trying to control a fighter jet.He brought a lot of pleasue to a number of us as he was used by 3 families including several children. lots of long faces, Moist eyes and lumps in throats today. This really sucks.

Sorry to hear of your loss, but rejoice when you are able because it sounds like yours and other families got to spend a lot of quality time with one of God's great treasures. Big John sounds like he was a very noble dog indeed. You have been given a gift and received it with humility and cared for it as if it were your own. That is a grand thing in the scheme of life. I'm sure all the kids are hurt but they have surely learned a lot by having a friend like Big John in their lives. You are all richer for the experience.

Michael

Field and working dogs are a very different type of dog. As you mentioned they are often kenneled, sold and not afforded an opportunity to live like the standard household pet. These animals give their owners a lifetime of work in a short span and are often sent away as the owner/handler no longer has a “use” for them. They love to work and do what they are bred to do but this exuberance and diligence often costs them a lot in terms of quality of life. They are often unappreciated, worked through injuries, pushed too fast and rejected for failures not their own. We raise working Malinois and have a very deep appreciation for dogs that can actually do what they are supposed to be able to do. These are the “real” dogs IMO, that is not an indictment of dog raised simply as pets but intended to espouse my genuine appreciation and affinity for these true working canines. Our dogs work yet still live as household family members. Loosing one of these special animals is a heart wrenching experience. Long live the working canine.

Well spoken Michael- you pretty much nailed it

Big John was buried next to 2 national champions even though he was never used in any competition. A short stint with a breeder before my frend bought him. His trainer thought enough of him to make the offer. Fitting end.

The plan is to look for another GSP - 9 months -2 years from a good blood line - where a breeder is not happy with the physical makeup or some well heeled owner has lost interest or resources and does not have thie required time to develop the dog. In any case a better situation for the dog has to be part of the plan.

comments and kind words have been appreciated. good bunch of people here.

Yeah, my cat of 18 years hasn't been around for a couple of days. I'm sure he wandered off somewhere quiet to pass on. It is a shame it has to come at that, but I really don't grive so hard because I figured we had 18 good years together.

I still have 4 dogs. All are just like our kids to us. They sleep and eat with us.

This fellow experienced a bad day as well, he parked his new '08 camper trailer upside down. That's what happens when you are driving 3 lanes to the left of where you are supposed to be driving, wake up and crank the wheel. The whole mess high sided, and barrel rolled before ending up parked in the rhubarb. It's a good thing that no one was hurt, he had two small children in there with his wife as well.

Case in point, if you are drowsy, pull over. Snooze control, dual zone HVAC and comfortable seats cause more people to sleep behind the wheel, with sometimes disasterous consequences. It's never the guy driving the 20 year old vehicle that ends up in these situations.

post-9504-13819487855616_thumb.jpg