A Chef's View of How Sausage is Made...

Mallette

A few months back I was moved to write a rather epic review of "Instruments of Thy Praise." Use the link if you're interested to provide a "set up" for the next link. The event that led to that rather lengthy paeon also led me to friendship with Dr. George Ellis Mims, composer, conductor, organist, arranger, choirmaster, and gentleman. He's now retired from that post at St. Martin's, but about to undertake a "retirement" project at a large, rich parish in Mobile, AL where the organ and music program apparently both need an overhaul. Hopefully, that's going to lead to a unique recording project. I've proposed to George that he prepare a recital program on the organ "as is" and we record it. Then, when the renovation is complete, we repeat the program with precisely the same setup. For the organ lover, it will offer extraordinary insight into how an instrument "morphs" through it's life. I'm not sure this has ever been done.

In any event, Dr. Mims was a guest on Houston NPR's "The Front Row" last week and provides a fascinating insight into his philosophy and artistry, and there are samples from each of the four discs to illustrate. The next link will take you to a stream or download if you'd like to hear it. Of course, the music is pretty dumbed down for streaming but the NPR folks are pretty good at it so you should be able to "hear through" to the quality of these recordings. IMHO, you'll be hard pressed to find CD's with this combination of engineering, acoustic environment, and artistry.

The Front Row-Dr. George Ellis Mims

Dave