Dog killer reinstated

Two years already? I'm sure it passed more quickly and pleasantly for us than for him. He did the crime, he did the time. The law is satisfied.

BTW, I agree with many of BigStewMan's comments. If we can't forgive others, why would we ever expect to be forgiven when we're called to account for our actions?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think some of you are missing the point. Yes, by law he served his sentance, should he be free, I guess. Should he be employed, I would hope so (but I would not hire him, not even to walk my dog). There are so few "Role Models" these days, that are not scum bags, I mean who are kids supposed to look up to? Rock stars who do drugs? Politicians who cheat lie and steal? Paris Hilton who drinks and drives? Wait maybe they could look up to sport stars. I LIKE MIKE! So all those who think Vick has server his sentance and is now ready to be a role model, for your child, speak up.

Since when did the NFL become so high and mighty? If they truely want to employ a one strike rule, then I find it hard to believe they would even have enough players to field ONE roster, let alone 32. Everyday there are news reports about a player who has either shot himself, killed a ped.- DUI, police responding to domestic violence call, drugs, making it rain on da hoes, and the list goes on and on. To me none of which is any worse than a Vick crime. All these rejects for the most part are still playing in the NFL, so why shouldnt Vick? Roger Goodell can try to "clean" up the image all he wants, but unless he actually makes these people realize that playing a sport for a living is essentially a privilige, nothing will change.

The NFL is always termed the, No Fun League-seems like the players are having all sorts of fun (legally).

Oh yeah, in before the lock.[:D]

Interesting reading all the posts, I agree that all the major sports ( Football, basketball, and baseball ) have its reputation for having a bunch of bad boys.

How come you don't hear a lot about the guys who participate in the largest spectator sport on earth never getting into trouble. NASCAR. Well, I said never, there are probably some, but I just have never heard of them.

How come.

CB

How come you don't hear a lot about the guys who participate in the largest spectator sport on earth never getting into trouble. NASCAR. Well, I said never, there are probably some, but I just have never heard of them.

How come.

CB

Well first of all Soccer is by far the largest spectator sport with 3.3 billion watchers and Cricket is number 2 with 3 billion. I dont think auto racing makes even the top 4.

Second havent you ever heard of Jeremy Mayfield and his Meth problems?

Maybe largest spectator sport in the US don't know. As for Mayfield, the last I heard it was perscription meds, maybe he had the same Dr. as MJ, nothing illegal just bad judgement.

Don't profess to know all about everything but just a casual observation

• Moderators

I don't see anything in here worthy of a locking (yet). It's a good debate.

I happen to be in the school of - he did the time "we the people" determined to be appropriate, so he should be allowed to return to society and try to become among its productive members.

If the only thing he knows how to do is football, then why not football? Why not let him be in the spotlight where the scrutiny alone will be enough to never allow him to do it again? Why not make him a cautionary tale for our youth - "you do the crime, you do the time." It's a good lesson. And it's not like he got away with anything... *cough* Ray Lewis, *cough* OJ Simpson. *cough*.

I think if anyone should be in the spotlight, it should be Vick. No one is saying what he did was ok. No one ever will. He'll never be the "hero" that other NFL greats are. Young people will learn from that. But everyone deserves a second chance, especially if they have paid for their mistake.

The biggest thing he can do for himself right now is to come out publically, aggressively, and sincerely against dog fighting.

I don't see anything in here worthy of a locking (yet). It's a good debate.

I happen to be in the school of - he did the time "we the people" determined to be appropriate, so he should be allowed to return to society and try to become among its productive members.

If the only thing he knows how to do is football, then why not football? Why not let him be in the spotlight where the scrutiny alone will be enough to never allow him to do it again? Why not make him a cautionary tale for our youth - "you do the crime, you do the time." It's a good lesson. And it's not like he got away with anything... *cough* Ray Lewis, *cough* OJ Simpson. *cough*.

I think if anyone should be in the spotlight, it should be Vick. No one is saying what he did was ok. No one ever will. He'll never be the "hero" that other NFL greats are. Young people will learn from that. But everyone deserves a second chance, especially if they have paid for their mistake.

The biggest thing he can do for himself right now is to come out publically, aggressively, and sincerely against dog fighting.

Morning Amy,

Glad to see you as a contributor to the thread and not just as "mod".

Harry

Personally I find what Michael Vick did was abhorent. Forcing dogs to fight to the death for monetary gain and cruelly killing those who failed is clearly the sign of a morally bankrupt individual, to say nothing of his questionable mental status. (To which, why fight dogs for thousands, while making millions playing football? A poor risk/reward trade to say the least.)

That being said, Vick was convicted and served his time in a federal penitentiary. As far as the law his concerned, he did his time and paid his "debt to society." As such he is free to persue his job options and resume his career, if any team is willing to take on the emotional and pyschological baggage that will come with his signing. His poor judgement cost him in excess of ten million dollars in fines, lost income and endorsement deals. That is a pretty hefty loss in anyone's book.

The NFL is free to police their employees as they see fit and there are players who clearly are not choir boys in their midst. Pacman Jones, Ray Lewis, Art Schlichter, etc. My personal political views aside, and they are somewhere to the right of Ghengis Khan, is that America is the land of opportunity and second chances. Michael Vick should be free to attempt to resume his playing career and hopefully make the most of the rest of his life and contribute to society in a positive manner.

I have a feeling that in another 2 months tops, his reinstatement to the league will mean nothing. He has been out of the league and out of any type of football for 2 years. I dont see him catching on with a team outside of training camps. Then he will become Canada's issue.[:D]

I don't care either way. He's going to play football for some team, and I'm going to watch football on TV. I spent too much money on my HT system not to watch football on it. I won't turn off the game if MV comes in to play.

Dog fighting, killing dogs and lieing about it are violations of US laws and most Americans' morals. He got caught, convicted and went to prison. He got out. He's going to work on the football field. Boo hoo.

I'm not going to cry if he gets his *** kicked on the football field or a couple of nasty/late hits by guys who haven't been convicted of a crime and who are pissed that he's playing football again. My guess it will be a player who's got kids and he's got to explain all this crap about forgiveness and multiple chances. Regardless if we think he deserves it or not. Especially if he wants to get laid by his wife who is embarrassed that she's married into a fraternity such as the NFL and has to explain it to her girlfriends who are also a part of the fraternity and outside of it.

I've got more important things to do than to be pissed off that MV is going to play football again, but I thought I'd communicate that I just don't care.

Dave

As far as being let back into the league goes, I'll pose a question that I heard on the radio the other day. If YOU had been convicted of the same crime, and served the same time, could YOU get your job back?

I spent too much money on my HT system not to watch football on it. I won't turn off the game if MV comes in to play.

I'm not going to cry if he gets his *** kicked on the football field or a couple of nasty/late hits by guys who haven't been convicted of a crime and who are pissed that he's playing football again. ...Especially if he wants to get laid by his wife who is embarrassed that she's married into a fraternity such as the NFL and has to explain it to her girlfriends who are also a part of the fraternity and outside of it.

I've got more important things to do than to be pissed off that MV is going to play football again, but I thought I'd communicate that I just don't care.

Dave

Dude!!! I can't fathom watching football in my Klipsch Home Theater but you expressed my thoughts to a tee. [Y]

Btw, I have already expressed my thoughts on the subject but I don't think killing a dog (unless it's someone else's property) is a sin insofar as the Bible in concerned. ;-)

Preface that I'm a Benga's fan so I'm perhaps a bit biased

he served his sentence

Odell Thurman, suspended for 2 years by the NFL for drug abuse. Was told he had to ask to be reinstated at the end of 2 year 'sentence'. He served the 2 years, did all they wanted... at the end, they arbitrarily (or so it seems) to not reinstate him, tossing him out to find a new career. Wasn't it enough for them (the NFL) that he served the sentence they imposed?

We then have Chris Henry....also of Bengals. He had some legal troubles, got suspended. A year or so ago, he was merely accused of something and the charges were dropped. He was STILL suspended four (4) games even though these charges were dropped against him and nothing came of this.

If the NFL were at least consistent in their punishments, I'd be fine... but for the trangressions of the above two, on the scale of punishments deserved I personally think Vick deserves worse than these two received, which using Thurman, would mean expelled from the NFL.

I don't want this guy to EVER be looked up to as a role model by any child, even yours! He can rot away for all I care, he made his bed and can lay in it.

Having 6 abondoned dogs in my home, several nursed back to health (probably $8,000 over last 3 years) might also give you an idea of my predispostion against him and his actions.

Right now is the cooling off period for the teams. I bet several teams would hire Vick right now but no one wants to be the first to test the waters and experience the potential negativity reined down upon them for hiring him. Maybe there won't be much. Who knows. We are a forgiving society and he will get picked up within a few more days. WATCH. Money-wise he is a golden commodity. EVERYONE will watch when he returns, and it won't cost that much to hire him. He'll be right back in there shortly. There is certainly no abundance of quaterback talent backed up right now in the NFL that would cause him to be passed over.