POP!! My Preamp blew a tube UP!

Cornwalled

Hello,

Well, today was a new one. My preamp actually BLEW a tube!! I heard an excrutiatingly loud BAM! and looked at the preamp to see one of my brand new $50 / piece NOS Mullards dead as a door-nail. Totally out. Pulled it out, and it completely blew the filament. The preamp sent it such a vicious shock that it annihilated the tube. When I started it up an hour or so later, the tube didn't light up at all, and was completely cool to the touch. Before it blew the tube up, it was making it squeal. Even when I swapped different tubes, whichever tube was in that specific tube socket would squeal, even if it was by a different brand, and known to be good.

Now I KNOW this thing is defective, and I'm scared silly to put any more tubes in it. It's already cost me almost $300 in tubes! I spent all the money I can afford to spend on it. In fact, I'm having to sell my La Scalas because of this very tube preamp! It's tapped me out and now I can't afford a stereo anymore! Sorry if I'm ranting, but I'm really depressed about it. I REALLY wish I had bought CJ, ARC, or BAT. From what I've been able to discover, they build FAR better quality products that not only are more reliable, but sound better too. [:'(]

What could cause this thing to be that bad? I've never seen such vicious tube destruction before. I spent all my money buying this thing, and I really don't have $200 or more to get God-only-knows fixed on it. I am TOTALLY ready for solid state, which is a shame really.

I'm really at a loss as to what to do. I can't afford to fix the gear because I spent my money buying it, with the expectation that I wouldn't HAVE to get it totally rebuilt.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

-Jon

Don't give up just bide your time till you put a few coins back and then take it to the best repair shop you can find.It won't kill you to do with out while you have to wait a minute look at the big picture all your gear is paid for and it is all yours, so just relax and wait, patience it will all work out. The only tube stuff I have are my amp heads and it happens but nothing is sweeter than Tupelo honey.

What are we going to do with you Mr. Jon? You have had nothing but trouble with your VTL gear but you will not get it serviced. I understand your position, it takes a lot of money to keep tube gear in top shape sometimes. You have had trouble with both your amp and preamp, right from the very beginning. The only thing I can say is if your amp is still working to sell/or trade it in right now and don't buy any more tube equipment. Then send your pre to VTL and if the repair estimate is more than it's worth, scrap it.

Buy a good SS integrated and be happy.

Good luck buddy, Russ

Jon,

I know how you feel! You just want to enjoy music!!

Hang in there. Maybe post in the Technical section, too. Lots of smart people here who may have an idea what's going on, and help you troubleshoot the problem. Yeah, you may want to pick up a SS integrated or receiver as a back-up. I'd suggest Nakamichi.

Sounds like you have a short. First, do not install another tube in your pre - the fuse(s) should blow before any tubes in any decently designed component and VTL has/had some pretty nice designs. Unplug the preamp and pull the fuse as it should be shot too (and might explain why the other tubes are cool). Next, check for scorch marks around the resistors and connections - especially near the bad tube socket. Also, look for dry, cracked and leaking caps though they usually cause the resistors to blow first. Look around the chassis to see if any foreign objects may have found their way in and look at the traces and/or connections for rusty-looking or especially dull solder joints. Check the tube socket carefully for scorch marks and make sure the wiring is intact and nothing's touching that shouldn't be. Check for loose wires and make sure the ground is tight. A dusty or dirty chassis may cause an arc too. If nothing looks suspicious, its time to take it to the shop (unless you're handy with a multimeter and know how to safely negotiate around a power supply). Sorry for your loss and good luck.