Ever float the Buffalo River in Arkansa?

peshewah

I floated the Buffalo River. We drove down Monday morning, found a camp site, found a outfitter, and was on the river before 11:am. We floated the lower part of the river from Maumee to Hiway 14 bridge(9.5 miles). It took us 7 hours. It was the prettiest float I ever been on in my life. There was almost no one on the river. I could look 50 yards each way and not see nor hear anyone. Very clean river.There was plenty of water without being dangerous. Our canoe was a Old Town Discover 15' 8" and it turned on a dime and tracked nicely. Good boat. We got side-ways on one big rock that my co-pilot(my wife) didn't see until we where right on it but still never flipped. My son(7 years old) was going to get out on the rock. LOL. There is no shade on the Buffalo so we were burnt to a crisp. Forgot sunscreen. After we got off the river we went to our camp at Buffalo Point State Park. Very few campers. Very nice camp site. We had water, electric, picnic table, and a good flat spot to throw our tent up at. Clean showers too. We set around the fire, fighting sleep. It was so quiet, such a nice night. The next morning we went to a cafe the Park owned. Good breakfest. The whole trip was relaxing. Good people everywhere we went. I'm ready to go back. Thanks guys for the input.

I floated the Buffalo River. We drove down Monday morning, found a camp site, found a outfitter, and was on the river before 11:am. We floated the lower part of the river from Maumee to Hiway 14 bridge(9.5 miles). It took us 7 hours. It was the prettiest float I ever been on in my life. There was almost no one on the river. I could look 50 yards each way and not see nor hear anyone. Very clean river.There was plenty of water without being dangerous. Our canoe was a Old Town Discover 15' 8" and it turned on a dime and tracked nicely. Good boat. We got side-ways on one big rock that my co-pilot(my wife) didn't see until we where right on it but still never flipped. My son(7 years old) was going to get out on the rock. LOL. There is no shade on the Buffalo so we were burnt to a crisp. Forgot sunscreen. After we got off the river we went to our camp at Buffalo Point State Park. Very few campers. Very nice camp site. We had water, electric, picnic table, and a good flat spot to throw our tent up at. Clean showers too. We set around the fire, fighting sleep. It was so quiet, such a nice night. The next morning we went to a cafe the Park owned. Good breakfest. The whole trip was relaxing. Good people everywhere we went. I'm ready to go back. Thanks guys for the input.

Sounds like you had a great time. I love the river (thus why I am so glad I have the Rappahannock pictured above so close to my place - in fact, just today, I was down there at the river, and most likely will be again tommorrow, considering it is supposed to hit something like 98 degrees here. Will be nice to hit up the river for a swim.

Yeah, getting to spend a peaceful, quiet time like that on the river and camping really seems to do something for the body and the soul. Numerous times, I like to just get out there up along the river and "away from everything" every now and again. Yeah, to bad about the sunburn, though. Kinda envious of you - wish I could've been there as well.

Seti, that is beautiful. I want to float the middle Buffalo as well. Hell I want to float it all. Ha

The "throw away" camera's don't do a very good job but it captured the moment. I have alot of pictures of my wife and son but my wife dosen't like how she looks so I won't post them. She was the prettyest women on the river.

Thanks.

The next section you want to float is the upper Buffalo starting in Ponca. It is the most beautiful float imo. It is only floatable in spring or fall. Be sure to hike into hemmed in hollow along the way. There is a sign you pull your conoe over and hike for just a little bit. It is alot higher than it looks. We are going to hit it this fall and then stay in Eureka Springs.

Hemmed in hollow.

Buffalo_HemmeinHallow_Jense.jpg