have you been to the zu ???

i recently aquired a pair of zu defiition pros, have not had the oppertunity to listen to them full force (rear 4 bass drivers i am waiting on some info from zu) but what i hear outta the front sure is nice..................anyone else had an oppertunity to audition / oun / hear these monsters ????

Joe

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe,

Although this is somewhat redundant with the other Zu post, I thought I'd post here too.

Yes, the Def Pro speakers are amazing. By far the best conventional cone speaker I've heard and I'm fortunate to own a pair. Not many of these were built.

Driving the front with a Yamamoto A-08S and the rear subwoofer array (down to 15Hz folks!) with a Behringer EP-2500 which scored (independent bench tested against other amps) very impressively vs. other dedicated "subwoofer" amps. Check out subwoofer forums and you'll find the EP2500 has a reputation and following that is almost cult like. It is that good...and cheap. SHHHHH!!!! Don't tell Behringer!!!!

The Crown K2 that you have is a really nice amp, and in fact scored a tiny bit better than the EP2500. However, I couldn't find one reasonably priced and the EP2500 was $250 shipped brand new. I have to replace the fan on the EP2500 b/c it is too loud when music isn't loud. Replacement fans are $10 and it takes about 30 minutes to replace it. Other than that, the EP2500 is a freakishly amazing amp for the money. If I could find a new Crown for under $500 I'd buy it in a hearbeat. No fan on the K2, so no noise!

Anyway, the Zu's are spectacular speakers. I owned Coincident speakers prior to the Zu's and I LOVED the Coincidents. The Zu's are simply better for my listening enjoyment. Fast, tight, full bass down to 15Hz! Yowza! The front drivers create a soundstage that I've not experienced before in any speaker near their price...or double. They are more lifelike than any speaker I've heard. But, they are so transparent that a bad recording will sound bad. Dead nuetral speakers! A problem in your system is going to be magnified by these speakers. I've upgraded just about everything since I bought them and the differences in my syste are amazing.

The last piece of the puzzel was my TT. I bought James' Avid Diva II and I'm dying to compare it to my Roksan Radius V. However, I need an arm. :-(

Enjoy!

J.S.

strummin you have an email and i suggest we stick to that when we discuss zu speakers in detail, as you can already see what this can turn into !!!!!!!

rf62 you are on klipsch forum, but you are looking in 2 CHANNEL AUDIO threads that means anything in 2 channel audio is up for discussion, i have nothing but respect for klipsch its where i started and for all i know i may end up there again...................but that does not mean we cannot discuss other audio related topics not so wild after all when you look at the big picture

Joe

strummin you have an email and i suggest we stick to that when we discuss zu speakers in detail, as you can already see what this can turn into !!!!!!!

rf62 you are on klipsch forum, but you are looking in 2 CHANNEL AUDIO threads that means anything in 2 channel audio is up for discussion, i have nothing but respect for klipsch its where i started and for all i know i may end up there again...................but that does not mean we cannot discuss other audio related topics not so wild after all when you look at the big picture

I don't own this forum but I don't see any problem with you discussing other brands.

I think discussing other brands makes sense since we have a common frame of reference in Klipsch. I have found that on other forums, like the Martin Logan forum, the members have very different listening taste than I do and their opinion is therefore not as valid. I have RF-7s and love them but the Zus look interesting. I am curious how the Essence would compare to the RF-7s

I agree. It's an open forum, and it's healthy and often imformative to hear differing opinions. There's a lot of discussion here about all of the various mods one can do to their stock Klipsch, which often involve using non-Klipsch parts. I'm grateful for the efforts of those who work to improve their system, and subsequently share that knowledge. At times, that may mean sharing experiences with other speakers, as in "Hey, if you like Klipsch, check these out".There's nothing wrong with expanding our horizons.

you just can't catch a break can you Joe. I myself had not heard of "Zu's" I'm not interested in buying them but I'm always interested in everything audio so I think it's great to discuss other brands.

As the other poster said, this is a great place to ask about since we are all familiar with a certain brand of speaker (Klipsch) which has a particular sound that appeals to us. So sharing that "Reference" we can make better suggestions to one another than say a Paradigm, or KEF fan would.

I never said there was.

No, you didn't, I was just making the point. Actually, I thought your first post was tongue-in-cheek, but it is difficult to tell at times. We need a sarcasm/satire emoticon, or would that be the winking smiley?

They do have some interesting ideas what with the fullrange drivers. Would be interesting to hear a pair.

People love them or hate them. I bought this pair without hearing anything by Zu first. Stupid? Sure! Not the first time and won't be the last.

Seriously, I couldn't be happier. The Coincidents were awesome speakers, but the soundstage wasn't as large as I wanted. Granted, that was with a pair of Super Eclipse III's, so it isn't a fair comparison to the Def Pro's.

The Def Pro's are a MTM design with 2-10" full range drivers and a super tweeter in the front array (goes down to 40Hz) and the rear array has 4-10" subwoofer that go down to 15Hz.

They have to be driven by an external amp (as I posted earlier I'm using the Behringer EP2500) and a parametric EQ. A Rane PEQ-55 came with the pair and allows users to customize the speakers for the listening environment. Users play test tones and measue with a SPL to dial them in (via the Rane PEQ) for their specific environments.

They are everything I wanted in a speaker. YMMV.

J.S.

no reason not to compare klipsch to other speakers

we are all after a sound that we like

i am sure many members here have other speaker brands in their house

there are 58 pages on Frazier speakers here in 2 channel, so no reason not to discuss zu speakers

i personally like the look and sound, heard the original druids a few years back, but at the time, went with some used lascalas. found them to be a better bang for the buck. someday i may have a pair of zu speakers in the house too.