new receiver

chris86

i have rf-62's, rc-62 and rb-51's only a 5.1 setup but i want a 7.1 receiver for the future i was looking at the following receivers..

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=TX-SR607&class=Receiver&p=i

and

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9238979&type=product&id=1218065494903

and

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=5028057&CTID=5000300

what does everyone think, i was aiming on the onkyo..

my personal prefrence is i try not to look at what the manufacurer has to offer in terms of bells and whistles. I prefer to go with the solid amp over everything else. I think the onkyo is the best out of your selection. the pioneer has a terrible resale value..the yamaha has the best two channel stereo mode

note: the RF 62's have a power rating of 125 Watts..If I were you I would go with the Onkyo806 @130 W to match your power rating..It will make a huge differnce in the quality of sound -Monty

im looking at the new sony that came out its a 7.1 770 watts receiver the model is....STR-DN1000, if anyone has an opinion on a sony receiver it would be helpful ive never owned a sont amp, and i have owned sony car audio and its terrible but i have a feeling the home theater line of products is alot better

I've owned a sony receiver, can't remember the model number. IMO it's junk. I also owned a Onkyo TX-SR806. It sounded great but got super hot, with my Son crawling around that's the last think I wanted to worry about, yes it got that hot and came with a warning sticker on it. I settled with the Yamaha RX-V665 (had the RX-V663 but sold it for the Onkyo) It's a great receiver at a decent price. Just my 2 cents.

Rocko

note: the RF 62's have a power rating of 125 Watts..If I were you I would go with the Onkyo806 @130 W to match your power rating..It will make a huge differnce in the quality of sound

Don't worry too much about matching amp output to the speaker rating, since most speaker manufacturers now recommend using an amp with as much as twice the power the speaker is rated for. This will ensure that the amp will always be operating in its most linear part of the power range, with very little chance of clipping, which will damage a speaker much faster than a high power but clean music signal.

Just make sure that the drunk at the party doesn't try to see "how loud it will go"...

I personally would try a marantz. I've listened to a handful of recievers and in my opinion, the marantz sound is just a GREAT match with the reference line. There is definately something about marantz that "smoothes" out any kind of "fatigue" as some claim. Very well built and good clean power. A very good reciever for the price is an SR-8500. It doesn't have HDMI, but you can always use the 7.1 pre-outs if your player can decode. You can find a 8500 for around $300 and they are great units (125watts per/ THX/ etc..). They also don't get hot, like other brands out there. I know Onkyo's are notorious for getting hot if cranked up too long. Good luck and let us know what you end up with:)

the pioneer has a terrible resale value..the yamaha has the best two channel stereo mode

I don't mean to hijack this post but I've been looking at buying a new receiver too. I've been looking at the SC-25 Pioneer Elite model and Denon's AVR 4310CI and 3808CI models. Montigue, do you also have a low opinion of Pioneer's higher end receivers and if so why. Unfortunately these units (the SC-25 and 4310CI) are new models so there aren't any reviews available yet. It seems to me like Yamaha and Onkyo are the most popular avr brands on the forums and I just feel silly looking at all these receiver companies that nobody on here has.