Black paint recommendations for Heresy II's

Tony Reed

Hey Tony, how are you?

The Rustoleum Satin Black in the spray cans is a very good product. I don't know if all black paints are the same, but I just sprayed a pair of Heresy II's with the Rustoleum and I noticed that I couldn't touch them anywhere without getting finger prints that really showed a lot. I did do something different with these though, instead of having the grain of the wood show through, I kept sanding and painting until I got a very smooth finish, and maybe that's why every little thing showed. I had to though, I was painting one that was birch and the other was oak. The oak one really took a lot of paint to cover the grain lines.

Get one of those spray handles that attaches to the can, it's a lot easier on your trigger finger, and don't forget to always use a respirator.

Greg

post-11090-1381948842345_thumb.jpg

Tony,

One of our formerly active posters, someone who really knows his stuff, used Opex/Valspar #40 sheen, semi-gloss, production lacquer. But that requires an investment in painting equipment. He also recommended, for those of us who don't want to make that investment, Watco brushing lacquer, tinted black. I haven't tried it yet, but looked into the tinting part. Had no success finding anyone locally who's got experience doing that. Poke through this thread for Marshall's process, see page 10. http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/109693.aspx?PageIndex=10

I'm going to build another pair of Cornscala cabinets, veneer them in Ash, and paint them black. A couple months ago, as practice for the project, I veneered some boxes I had previously built as stands for a pair of KG4s, then wrestled with several different paints, lacquers, etc. What I eventually settled on was Rustoleum's American Acccents Canyon Black http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=1 . I'll see about taking a picture later and posting it if you're interested. Cornwalls are just too big a project to spray with cans by hand, so I'm not sure what I'll do when the time comes. Perhaps get my hands on the Valspar lacquer and find someone to spray it for me.

Hope this helps.

Randy

Ok, a small handful of pictures. I tried to capture the sheen for you. How does it compare to the factory finish? I honestly don't know. I wasn't necessarily trying to match something, so I just looked around until I found what I wanted. Actually stumbled on it by accident, my wife had used it to paint a mirror frame, I saw it and said that's what I'm after. So it was here all along. By the way, the Valspar lacquer is, according to Marshall, the factory finish. Greg is right about getting one of those spray handles. Here's another tip - the standard tip that comes with a spray can produces a dot or circle pattern. Rustoleum has some replacement tips, a bag of four. Two are the standard, but the other two produce a fan pattern. That produces a much more even finish. One small thing to be aware of, though, paint from the very bottom of the fan will collect in the lip/rim at the top of the can. Normally not a big problem, but if you then go to spray a horizontal surface and tip the can while over your surface, that collected paint will run out of the lip and drip onto your work. So use care or you'll get aggravated. Like I did.

Randy

post-29544-13819488453676_thumb.jpg

(Shoot, I tried to respond and it appears to have vanished)

The #40 refers to the sheen. It's been a while, I'll poke around and refresh my memory. I'll need to find some eventually myself. Perhaps Mr. Colter has some information on where it might be found.

Randy