Building a new 5.1 HT system around Heresy II's

jhewes

Hi there, new to the forum but a Klipsch owner (Heresy II) since 1985.

I am moving back to the states after an overseas assignment soon. I have a chance to build a home theater system from scratch. I would like to build around the Heresy's as front speakers, in order to use them for plain stereo music as well as 5.1 home theater. At the moment I have nothing but the Heresies in storage.

I know that ideally everything should be matched, but I'm not sure my budget (or space) can handle more big speakers. How horrible would it be to use the Heresies as front main speakers and add in a sub, center, and rear surrounds from the current Klipsch line? I can spend some money but definitely not top end stuff.

Any advice appreciated.

P.S. who remembers the glue problem with Heresy speakers in the early 90's? The back of my speakers started to fall out a year or two out of warrantee. I called Klipsch just to ask how to fix them. They said, we don't want you to have those speakers, and they gave me a full replacement set. I was even more hooked on the company after that.

Regards,

Joe

Joe, the Heresies are still in production, but now they're upgraded to Heresy III, with improved clarity and stronger bass that goes a bit lower. Depending on your budget, you could get new Heresy IIIs, used Heresy IIs, or get used Heresy IIs and upgrade them to Heresy III spec with the factory upgrade kit. It's only $290 per speaker and contains everything to make a II into a III. I've updated one of my Heresy IIs and a second kit is on its way to me now.

As for smaller speakers, Heresies are the smallest Klipsch speakers that I've heard for myself, so I'll let others make suggestions in that area.

Here's what I've found in terms of options:

For subs: Sub-12 or KSW-12

For center: VC-25, RC-10 or RC-52

For rear surround: VS-14 or S-1

Keep in mind that this is for occasional movies and sports (we will have DirecTV and a Blu-Ray player) as well as iPod playback, FM and streaming audio. It does not have to be perfect as our ears are not that discerning (nor is our budget!)

Many thanks.