Anyone know Gary Gillum

Johnlw7

I have tried to find out some info on Mr.Gillum with very little sucess.I know he was an associate engineer for Klipsch for many years.I know he help design the KG series of speakers.I think he also made speakers under his own name for a time.i was wondering if he still builds speakers or is active in audio these days.i believe he lives In Missouri but not sure.

• 2 years later...

I knew Gillum very well. I worked with him at SDC.in Branson..I loved that man...He turned me on to Klipsches..To this day Im 63 and i miss him alot..He turned me on to Crown amps and I drank good beer that he made listening to 2 K horns and a Bell,,,mac Pre amp and amp..and a thorins phono before he went back to Hope..I missed him then and now. The first time I met him his studio had just ! K Horn...1 heresy..Mac28 crown amp and a Ampex tape recorder....thats it ,,,,He knew his shit....Mike

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
  • 3 months later...

perhaps why they went from lower case kg to capital KG for the series after the original kg2 and kg4???

Sorry for the bump but really digging on a pair of kg2s that I've had since new...A thread on another forum that caters to Klipsch speakers inspired me to dig these out of the garage, clean the oiled oak finish and give it some Watco rejuvenating oil and try 'em out...

I just replaced the tweeter diaphragms with Crites Titanium tweeter diaphragms (never a disappointment) and they sound good with a decent amount of bass...

Bill

Edited by silversport

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

I had the honor of Mr. Gillum reaching out to me in some messages on eBay, inquiring about a set of his Gillum G2's sitting underneath a set of my custom made Ash Hardwood stands I hand craft and sell on there.  His son found the picture on eBay and showed it to him, and that's what prompted him to reach out, and let me know how nice my stands looked, as well as how sturdy.  I was blown away to say the least.  Prior to that, I was always questioning myself, as to whether or not my hand made stands were good enough to be sold on the open market.  After I received those messages from him, all of the questioning, and insecurities are gone.  A compliment from Gary, is pretty much like an established Rock Star hearing you play, and saying, "Get ready, because you're about to go big..."

I have those messages framed and in my wood shop.  I can even take pictures for proof.  I'll provide a picture of the Gillum speaker, sitting on one of my custom stands.  This is the picture that prompted him to write me.  2nd picture in.

I asked him if he wouldn't mind, from time to time, as I came up with different speaker stand designs, if I may run some of my ideas by him, and if he would let me know his opinion.  His answer verbatim, "Opinions.............yes."  I've written him a few times, to see how he was doing, and he responded in kind, and also gave me some cool little pieces of trivia about his time at Klipsch.  The very little I know of him, I like very much.  God Bless you Gary, and all your family and friends... 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/193029475772

Edited by Capgun
Grammar corrections
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...