WF-35, WC-24

Mickey Ray

So the speakers are set up, been playing them almost constantly for a week, and...I find myself missing my RF-63s, which I'd paid $1000 less for ($1075 clearance vs full price for the WF-35s), and which needed a sub less than these guys do. Yup, I'm kicking myself.

Sure, the WF-35s look better, and possibly have better highs, wih maybe better soundstaging, in the sense that the sound comes towards you more, residing less in the boxes, but if so it's certainly not to a significant degree. When the 20th Century Fox theme music comes on, the 63s slam, where the 35s don't. The 35s are capable of some powerful bass, like during the Lord of the Rings movies, where you often have a big upsurge of bass tones (a great test scene is the Minas Morgul part in LOTR 3), but for the most part they're just too refined for these ears. Plus, I'd rather have that extra grand in my pocket.

I'm actually thinking of keeping the WC-24 centre and matching it with the RF-63s. Yeah, I know about the compression drivers and needing the RC-64, but I think the Audyssey EQ on my Onkyo would just put the WC-24 higher in the mix. I mean, we're still talking horn tweeters and I think that's the important part. If it's not a perfect mix I'm not too concerned, since getting an RC-64 would require a newer, wider TV stand, meaning I wouldn't be able to have my TV on the long side of my room, and that's all out of the question.

Anyway, gonna see if I can switch the WF-35s for the RF-63s. It was final sale, but I think they'll find it easier to move the WF-35s than the RF-63s: few people here in Vancouver want those big tower speakers - they're all going bookshelf/sub, and if they get towers, it's the WAF styles. Personally, I go for sound. If you'd asked me a week ago, I'd have said sound AND girl friendly, but now I know a little more about what drives me. And hey, it's not like they'll be shooting CSI: Miami in my apartment anytime soon, so WTF.

In fact, I'd go with RF-7s if I could get my hands on a pair; hear from these forums, and from AudioReview, that they're more dynamic than the RF-83s that supposedly replace them. Klipsch and 10" woofers sounds like a winning combo to me, at least till the Palladium line falls within grasp (I know, dream on).

If you can exchange the 35's for 63 Do it ! Also just take back the WC 24. Save up and buy the RC 64 - because 90% of voices come from the center and that should match your mains !

The RF 7's are nice, however you would need a more powerful amp/receiver to drive them then the RF 63's...................i.e. more expense............

Finally Post some pics when you get set up................

• Klipsch Employees

The WF / WC line does not have the slam of the reference line. It was built with looks in mind for going a bit of the "power" you get from most Klipsch product. In the words of RUSH "...you don't get something for nothing...".

The do have some "cool guy" parts with the X horn and Neo mags on the woofers with fiber composit cones. They use the same 1 inch neo tweeter as a lot of the reference product.

If you want "bang" then the reference line would be best.

Reference series is hard to beat for clean power. I installed a WF/WC/WS system in my sisters very small living room last Christmas with a small subwoofer. For that application, it was a great system. Very nice sound and very clean fit.

Is there a reason you do not have a subwoofer?

Reference series is hard to beat for clean power. I installed a WF/WC/WS system in my sisters very small living room last Christmas with a small subwoofer. For that application, it was a great system. Very nice sound and very clean fit.

Is there a reason you do not have a subwoofer?

I'm actually wishing I'd gone 2.1, with a pair of RF-63s in front and an RSW-10D. Those were demo models on clearance - 60% off - at the local London Drugs, with 5 yr warranty. I had the RF-63s, but instead of just adding the sub like I should have, I traded them in for a pair of WF-35s and the WC-24 centre, and like I said, I'm kicking myself cuz although the W series looks like a million bucks (greater WAF), pack a lot of punch for their size, and seem to project the highs into the room better, they lack the slam and cost me an extra $1,500 to boot. Of course, they're not broken in yet, but at best they'll equal the 63s for a lot more dough.And did I mention I have some large boxes taking up space in my pad?

I guess there's always money lost in this quest for sound, but I thought I'd put the time and research in. Anyway, now I'm debating whether to sell the W stuff at a loss, or trade them for a pair of 83s or RF-7s plus cash. I've heard the RF-7s like more power, but I wouldn't be cranking them, and running them in stereo on bi-amp with my Onkyo oughta do it.

In any case, there's an expiration date for kicking oneself and I think I've passed it. Time to move on.

• 2 months later...

Did you finally sell the WF-35s? I have a smaller living room so I am planning to get the WF-35 theater. I am getting it for $1950 delivered for the 6 speakers and I plan to add an Onkyo TX-NR 807 receiver ($800). I don't have much space in my living room so I am wondering if this will work fine, or should I keep looking for RF-63s?

(2) WF-35 Floorstanding Speakers

(1) WC-24 Center Channel Speaker

(2) WS-24 Surround Speakers

(1) XW-500d Subwoofer

No, haven't sold them yet, and should probably wait a while since a local London Drugs has them on sale for half price.

1950 is a good price you're getting for the WF-35 set, but if I were you I'd go for the RF-63s, which I still miss in my living room. Although they CAN rise to the occasion, the WF-35s lack the 63s punch; in fact, even my 62s in the rear sound punchier. So 63s in front with smaller RFs in the rear would do the job.

And BTW, I'll even go so far as to say I got better sound with just the 63s in front, than I do with the WF-35s flanking a WC-24 centre. I know I'm gonna draw a lot of flack for saying this, but I think the need for a centre channel is overrated: I think my receiver just routed the centre signal to the front towers, because the dialogue always sounded fine to me. Sure, maybe if I had an RC-64 it'd open a whole new world of sound to me and I'll be gobsmacked over what I'd been missing, but as it is, I think I was doing pretty fine with the 63s in front, 62s in rear. If someone offered me a pair of 63s in exchange for my WF-35s and WC-24, I'd jump at the opportunity. Yeah, the Icons look great - serious WAF, but sound's first in my book.