Affordable acoustically transparent pull-down screen?

psg

I am currently watching movies on a 50-inch plasma, but I plan to eventually watch TV on the plasma and pull down a screen for BR movies with an eventual 1080p projector.

Given that I have a La Scala as center speaker and a somwhat low basement ceiling, buying a screen that would stay above the 35-inch high La Scala would lead to a fairly small screen. A proper 100 to 120 inch screen would hide part of the La Scala.

- What would it sound like to have a regular screen in front of the top section of the La Scala?

- Would an acoustically transparent screen suffer in front of the reflective panel of the plasma?

- Do affordable pull-down AT screen exists (shipped to Canada)?

Thanks!

Hi, I bought a nice 100" Draper screen from www.hd.ca in Toronto

Part# 132012
Draper Matt White WideScreen 99 inch screen - Salara, 99 inch, WideScreen, Matt White, 110 V

Although I am using an Academy as my centre channel it was easy to install and works well and although 99" corner to corner, because it is a widescreen 2.35:1 ratio it is thinner top to bottom. You will have to measure your ceiling to floor etc but I have 7ft ceilings and the screen extends down approx four and a half feet. No problem for the Academy but I can see where you may have problems with the La Scala.

I know that Draper make acoustically transparent stuff but it is seriously expensive. I was able to get mine installed in my basement and wired for under $1000Cdn. I did most of the work myself, but it wasn't too hard.

Of course if you want top of the line then Stewart screens are the way to go but there are very few dealers in Canada. But they do some great AT screens.

I plan to put an LCD screen on the same wall where my screen comes down and as far as I am aware there are no issues with having a screen image projecting onto the lcd screen itself. Of course I do not have an audio transparent screen and do not want any reflection or outline to show through the screen.

Anyway just some thoughts, my setup is in the photos section under Klipsch home theatre.

Kiltman

Thanks! Sweet setup you have.

Yeah, I'm affraid that an AT screen will be outrageously expensive. I wonder what the speaker would sound like behind a regular screen...

So $700 for powered versus about half that for manual... It's hard to pick from all the models they have, but I'm grateful for the Canadian site!

What made you pick that model?

Edit: I wish I could see what models they have using their AT1200 screen!

Holly crap!

Your model, with Matte White screen, is $702

Your model, with AT1200 screen, is... $3850 !!!!

No way will I ever spend that in a pull-down screen. I'd try the La Scala upside-down and angled up before I did that!

Thanks, and with my new Oppo BDP-83 the image is fantastic.

For me and my wallet it was a non starter to go with something AT even though I had contacts in the industry and could get some things at cost it was still way too much. I was lucky, because I had Forte 1's the clear recommendation on this forum was to find an Academy as that was the best match. If I had all three vertically aligned I would have been stuck also.

I really think if you want to go AT you won't be able to also have an LCD panel on the same wall. I have also thought of having the LCD panel on an adjacent wall which is possible but it just wont work well acoustically.

Stupid question but is it impossible to have the LaScala horizontal? I read of some people using Academy's vertically and they sounded ok.

Hmm. Some places have the motorized acoustically transparent Elite VMAX2 AcousticPro 100-inch 16:9 for US$393, but they don't appear to ship to Canada. So at least affordable solution exist !

Otherwise I could try and flip my La Scala upside-down and tilt it upwards a bit. It would look silly without the screen down, but it might work. Maybe the voices and sounds will be too low...

Well certainly affordable with the strong looney! That sounds almost too good to be true. One thing I will say, having worked in the AV industry beware of inferior screens. Stewart, Draper, DaLite are leading brands and there are certainly some great tier two brands out there. I have also seen some really bad Chinese manufactured screens that curl at the edges, fade and get stuck. I wanted to save money also but avoided the cheapest.

I would make sure that you find out about transparency for audio does not also mean some significant spacing in the screen material. If too transparent then you will get a strange reflection/shadowing from your panel behind the screen. Also depending on the lumens of your OHP you will have less reflection. In our basement we use the space as a family room and living space and not just eating popcorn so dark walls and acoustic tiles were not an option. It meant the projector needs to be a little brighter especially if watching movies during the day. For sports etc I plan to use the LCD which will work in an undarkened room better anyway.

Thanks, and with my new Oppo BDP-83 the image is fantastic.

For me and my wallet it was a non starter to go with something AT even though I had contacts in the industry and could get some things at cost it was still way too much. I was lucky, because I had Forte 1's the clear recommendation on this forum was to find an Academy as that was the best match. If I had all three vertically aligned I would have been stuck also.

I really think if you want to go AT you won't be able to also have an LCD panel on the same wall. I have also thought of having the LCD panel on an adjacent wall which is possible but it just wont work well acoustically.

Stupid question but is it impossible to have the LaScala horizontal? I read of some people using Academy's vertically and they sounded ok.

Sorry, missied that post...

Can't use my La Scala sideways because it is inset into the wall. Plus I don't think I would like the dispersion of the horn all that much.

About the plasma behind the AT screen, I guess I could put a blanket over the TV!

I agree with Bill. I have a 103" AT electric retractable screen from Chris Seymour. His screens have an accoustically transparent black backing that eliminates any glare behind it. I had a portable pull up screen that I used in front of my TV for about a year and finally broke down and installed a SeymourAV screen. It is a very nice product.

When I was first looking, I could not find an AT screen in a pull down.

• 2 weeks later...