Help building grills for Jubilee bass bins.

Kudret

I want to build removable grills for my Jubilee bass bins. Here are a copule of pictures:

jub_gril3.jpg

jub_gril1.jpg

The problem I am facing is how to deal with the braces. As you see the braces are flush with the side wall and the grills won't be flush with the front panel.

Any suggestions?

Kudret

• Like 1

If you recall the picture of PWK standing next to the 'pretty Jubilee', I'll tell you how they did it.

First of all, realize that the early black Jubilees have a flat front panel and do not have a 3/4" panel attached to them. The one he was standing next to DID have a 3/4" piece attached to the front.

They took the bottom plate and extended it out 3/4 of an inch, set the pretty front on that plate. They then set the grills on that plate and let them drape OVER the top of the speaker.

In other words, if you took a tape measure to the Jubilee next to PWK, it would be about 3/4" larger dimension in the front, top and sides (covering the mouth of bass horn)

This is something people with a black version could easily do. Clearly you woudln't necessarily want to do it the same way since you already have a pretty front.

Here's a picture of it that I think will explain

post-15072-13819488646892_thumb.jpg

I've studies the pictures and given this some thought. The braces on your Jubilees are different than mine - see picture. My braces are set back in a few inches, so it would be easy to put grills inset in the mouth of the horn.

I assume you would be ok with having the grills inset inside the mouth of the horn, with the front black edges of the bass bins showing? If so, I think you've got to find a way to cut those braces back. It will be time consuming to do it neatly, and some repair may even be necessary after it's done, but it's probably the best way to go. In the pictures, it looks like the front edge of the braces is angled? If so, cutting them back would allow you to flatten those out.

If you do decide on the inset grills, I think it would look best to have them set back in 1/2" or 3/4", rather than being flush with the front edges of the bass bins. I recently made grills for my Jamborees and I wish I had done them with a reveal rather than flush.

So, how to find a controlled, safe way to cut those braces back? Hmmmmm. I'm thinking.

Greg

post-11090-13819488649132_thumb.jpg

Excuse me if I am out of line.

Could you just put velco on the the face pieces of each side, and then on the covers.? this way they would Attach. I think if they stuck out a little it would add character to each speaker.................

JMHO.

Here's another idea: what if you were to make a 1-piece assembly that would be as wide as the whole cabinet (or maybe with a barely visible split in the middle) that would have a cut-out section in the middle to reveal the nice wood panel? That way, you wouldn't have to deal with the braces, since the assembly wouldn't try to be flush-mounted.

The centre panel would wind up recessed by the thickness of the grille assembly, but that should be less than an inch and could make for an interesting look.

Or, what if you were to make six individual grilles that would push into the openings just a little and stop against 1/2" x 1/2" strips mounted on the inner and outer walls of the openings, within the horns? You could position the stops to give you the flush look, or have them sitting a little deeper, or at an angle, as you wish.

Hmm, looks like your Jubilees have three braces per side, unlike Greg's and most others, with two per side. In that case, you'd need eight individual grilles, if you decided to go that way.

Greg,

I was hoping to hear from you. I am having exactly the same thoughts -- how to cut those braces back without damaging anything. I even went ahead and bought one of these but did not have the courage to try it yet.

saw.jpg

I wish mine had the same braces as yours. Then, it would be much easier.

Kudret

• Like 1

Greg,

I was hoping to hear from you. I am having exactly the same thoughts -- how to cut those braces back without damaging anything. I even went ahead and bought one of these but did not have the courage to try it yet.

saw.jpg

Kudret

I don't know what that tool is.

As I said before, I recently finished my Jamboree cabinets (WAF so they can be in the living room longer) and I cut back the sides at more of an angle, and I had to cut braces to do that. I used a jigsaw for part of the cut and then finished it off with a SAWZALL!!! Eck. I've always told everyone that I'm really a hack at heart.

I'm not suggesting you use a sawzall, or a chainsaw.

I wonder if a small beltsander would do it, holding it upright. You might have to finish off with a chisel, right up against the sides. It would be relatively easy to hold the belt sander plumb while sanding. You could finish off with a random orbit sander with 60grit.

Greg

Ok...I was hoping you'd get to that point....when do ya wanna swap?

[Y]

On a more serious note... could you (what's it called...rabbit, dado?) cut a slice in your frame where it would fit around the brace rather than cutting the brace itself?

I'm suspecting not but thought I'd put it out there

cut a slice in your frame where it would fit around the brace rather than cutting the brace itself?

Ah, there you go. What if you notched the braces near the sides and then the frame of the grill would fit into that notch? The cloth would be flush with the front of the bass bin, which may not be perfect, but it's an option.

Greg

• Moderators

What about if you cut notches in the braces to hold the frame about an inch from the inside, past the other little piece that holds the brace up. make a grill frame that fits into these notches but is tapered so where it meets the center it is very thin, like a wedge shape, you would only notice if you were very close or looking from the side.

Or you could get the magnets that is inserted into a drilled hole on the speaker and frame and use a wedge shaped frame, it would not be perfectly flush but could be less than a 1/4". Just trying to think of a way without cutting out much.