Bass Response of Heresy IIs

retrosonic

Guys, I'm looking into a pair of Heresy IIs. I took a look at the specs and was shocked to see that the bass response of the 12 inch woofer only goes down to 50 hz!!! I have a pair of 10 inch ANs that go down to 34 hz!!

I would be using the Herseys with an EICO HF-81 amp (12 wpc) and to my ears I dont think I would getting much bass out this setup!!

Does anyone disagree?

Actually, it's more like 63Hz. The Heresy III goes down to 58Hz. Even the La Scala II only goes down to 51Hz. Although some folks find these speakers to have sufficient bottom end, most, including me, feel they need the help of a sub.

12- or 15-inch woofers would usually be expected to produce lots of bass, but bottom end has been traded for extreme sensitivity and very low distortion. It's hard to get those plus low bass at the same time.

If all you are after is bass then the Heresy II may not be what you want.

I have a pair of HII's that I use with a Heathkit tube amp (15wpc). Wonderful combination.

I also run my HII's on a Sansui G-7700 once in a while. With both setups the highs and midrange are fantastic.

If you are getting a deal on these HII's than do it. Buy a sub later.

I like the HII midrange better than my Cornwalls.

My two centavos.

If you want bass output with a similar footprint look into a pair of Forte or Forte IIs. Their increased cabinet size and rear passive radiator make their bass output significantly higher than a Heresy ever will have. Heresys and Fortes usually sell for about the same price too, making them an ever better bargain.