Klipsch SUB-10 and SUB-12 amplifier "fix" that worked for me so far...

superedge88

A while back I posted about piecing together a SUB-12 from parts I bought online. About 3 months ago suddenly there was no sound or movement from the woofer, so I started fiddling with it, and found that if I wiggled the on/auto switch just right I could get it to pop on momentarily, the status light was lit as usually a bright blue, so everything seemed fine, just no sound. I took out the amplifier, and found that if I lightly pushed on the circuit board that was attached behind the on/auto and 180/0 degree switch I could get the sub to kick back on. I then pushed harder sideways on the circuit board (same board that sits attached to the main amplifier panel in a perpendicular fashion) pushing the circuit board towards the opposite end of the amplifier panel. I did put a good amount of force on it which must have slightily bent and solidified whatever lose connection was the culprit, because now over 3 months later the SUB-12 is still working without a hiccup. My SUB-10 that I have in my bedroom home theater had the exact same issues that the SUB-12 had. I know that SUB-10's are notorious for having issues with their amplifiers, so I was not really hopefull that the same "fix" would do the trick. CLARIFICATION: The SUB-10 status light was not in a protect mode, it was acting completely normal, just no movement AT ALL from the woofer. So I thought I would give the same "fix" a try on the SUB-10 amplifier, and to my surprise it worked! The SUB-10 has now been working great for over a month now. I know that these "fixes" have not had a long time to be tested, and I will definitely post back on here if either of the subs go silent again. Please only venture to do this at your own risk. I know this is a pretty low brow type of thing to try, but it sure has worked well for me so far. For those that otherwise have silent subs, it may be something to try. Again, do so at your own risk, please be aware of voiding warranty if still within the warranty period.

• 1 month later...

it sure would be nice if Klipsch would just Post a do it your self fix for their Customers who have

these problems, One of the Two sub 10's I have I noticed today is not working, I purchased

them Both at Best Buy last Christmas time 2008 and have watched no more more than

12 Movies on them since, they are in a dedicated home theater in my basement and Only Used for movies!

I have a Pioneer Elite® VSX-01TXH 7.1-channel receiver setup and these Subs did work beautifully for the few times

we used them.

I knew before buying them that there were many people having issues with what I assumed was "old stock" Sub 10's and i trusted that KLIPSCH

CORPORATION would be of the Utmost in Integrety and have Resolved these issues!.......Boy was I wrong and extremely Dissapointed!

I spoke with a tech today at Klipsch indianapolis and the fellow was nice, But why after so many Problems with these Sub 10's dont the techs know what the main issue of Fault is in the Unit?...........It is NOT COOL that Klipsch wont just tell customers the know issue!

I could fix my unit if it is just a Cold Solder issue or a replacement of an amp IC, I DONT WISH TO SHIP MY UNIT ALL OVER THE COUNTRY TO RISK CABNET DAMAGE !

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks superedge88 for your fix. I was getting ready to trash my sub 10. But, I stumbled across your fix and followed your instructions exactly. It worked! My sub 10 is not under warranty. So, I had nothing to loose.

LOL!![:D] That is great to hear! Good to know that I could help.

• 1 month later...

I purchased a Klipsch KSW-10 Subwoofer a few years back and it has been great up until a few weeks ago.

I leave it in AUTO mode all the time. Lately, the sub will not come on when audio is present.

However, I find that if I unplug the sub for a second (or momentarily pop the fuse out) then plug it back in, it starts working again.

It will continue to work OK for a few days, but after it’s been sitting for a while with no sound being fed to it, it will not turn on the next time audio is present until I cycle power again. Note that the power LED does change from red to green when signal is present.

I found this post today and will give the fix mentioned here a shot tonight. Will post with my results. If it is indeed a cold solder joint I will probably reheat/resolder everything that looks questionable.

• 4 weeks later...

the very most things that i should have done but never did is to heed over all the warnings and negative comments and reviews regarding this product (Sub 10 subwoofer) i just ignored the warranty issued because i had it checked by an unauthorized servicenter.what i just wanted to know and to asssume in my humble manner of ignorance is that the company (KLIPSCH) should have made action to recall the said defective cursed electronic device. they (KLIPSCH) instead of recalling or making address to have solutions with the perenial problem continue to sell and go on an discounted spree as far as europe just to dispose all their accumulated stocks or production output on this models or make. i am really dissappointed with this product, which is in contrast with all my appreciations to the other excellent KLIPSCH products- certainly, i would never recommend this sub or other KLIPSCH component added products to anybody!

correction die hard follower of nothing.. i am not after with your composive and into your standard way of communications.. what harm i am doing to you if i post as my way of expressing my sentiments and disappointments? besides this not a grammar principled or categorized forum. it is called a forum with the sole intention to have an exchange of ideas and sentiment on a particular product. i guess it is better for you to go back to basics as what a fully educated individual should be. and please dont pretend you're having the best system in the world..you're just a plain consumer like i do. LOL! get a life idol! if i were you, better represent yourself as an editor or grammar consultant on this community.

• 2 weeks later...

Was the amp on your sub-12 glued into place? I am going to try your fix as mine has the light on but no movement. However I need to take the speaker out to get at my amplifier as I can't get the amp out after removing all the outer screws.

thanks

Thanks...I got it out. I looked at that side board under magnification and the soldering on it is absolutely horrible. Very bad quality control on that board. The other boards look much better. That fix isn't working for me. I'll have to phone Klipsch on Monday and see what they will do for me.

Thanks for your help!

what ashame.

Shame on Klipsch for not resolving these issues with their factory LONG AGO!

If they built their Products here in the United States and used ISO 9001 Quality control standards there would NOT be this problem!

Klipsch please Employ more AMERICAN People and STOP Producing YOUR Products in the Asian Rim !.....

THOSE ASIAN RIM Companies ARE DESTROYING YOUR REPUTATION!.....

They dont care about OUR Nation & it's Businesses who do Business With THEM!........

That BASH AMP in the SUB 10's & 12's is PROOF POSITIVE these ASIAN Companies you are using to Build a product that is NOT of a Quality standard KLIPSCH CUSTOMERS DEMAND.............

.Keep employing People's Other than AMERICAN's and You will DESTROY Your Reputation as a "Fine Quality Speaker producer"..........................

It is elementary what the issue is STOP USING FOREIGN Companies to produce Your products and EMPLOY ONLY AMERICANS !!!!

It was 40 DAY's after BEST BUY sent my SUB-10 Back to Klipsch that Klipsch said just Replace with One of BEST BUY's stock..

LUCKY for me BEST BUY had 4 left and I was able..........But now BEST BUY is OUT of STOCK of ALL Sub-10's & 12's Due to the Model Change to the New INFERIOR Product's the SW350 an 8 inch woofer "Smaller Product" & SW450 with flimsy FOOT LEGS ...Compared to Old product's!

It is OBVIOUS why Klipsch has done away with the SUB-10's & 12's and in the process are Producing SMALLER Products to replace them.

I do have to say the SW450's Woofer looks to be an "improvement" over the SUB 10's........But if it is made Over Sea's then I have reservations.

When I have a Problem the next time............I will attempt my own repair or replace AMP with another..........WHEN I CAN AFFORD IT !......

I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO REPLACE A DEFECTIVE PRODUCT............

I have Hi-Fi equipment, speakers , amps etc.. that are 40 years old and they Dont Owe me anything as its SERVICE LIFE has been great.............

I EXPECT the SERVICE LIFE of these SUB-10's to be AS GOOD ....BUT THEY ARE INFERIOR! WHAT A DAMN SHAME KLIPSCH WHAT A SHAME....OLD MAN KLIPSCH IS ROLLING OVER IN HIS GRAVE!

The TOTAL LACK OF RESPECT of SUB-10 and SUB-12 CUSTOMERS is Very, Very Disheartening and has given me a reason to NEVER Recommend any Product KLIPSCH is Producing OVER SEAS.

KLIPSCH Should be willing to send out NEW BASH AMPS with CALL TAGS from U.P.S. to return Old Bad Amps to those CUSTOMERS with Bad AMPS free of Charge.

It was 40 DAY's after BEST BUY sent my SUB-10 Back to Klipsch that Klipsch said just Replace with One of BEST BUY's stock..

LUCKY for me BEST BUY had 4 left and I was able..........But now BEST BUY is OUT of STOCK of ALL Sub-10's & 12's Due to the Model Change to the New INFERIOR Product's the SW350 an 8 inch woofer "Smaller Product" & SW450 with flimsy FOOT LEGS ...Compared to Old product's!

It is OBVIOUS why Klipsch has done away with the SUB-10's & 12's and in the process are Producing SMALLER Products to replace them.

I do have to say the SW450's Woofer looks to be an "improvement" over the SUB 10's........But if it is made Over Sea's then I have reservations.

When I have a Problem the next time............I will attempt my own repair or replace AMP with another..........WHEN I CAN AFFORD IT !......

I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO REPLACE A DEFECTIVE PRODUCT............

I have Hi-Fi equipment, speakers , amps etc.. that are 40 years old and they Dont Owe me anything as its SERVICE LIFE has been great.............

I EXPECT the SERVICE LIFE of these SUB-10's to be AS GOOD ....BUT THEY ARE INFERIOR! WHAT A *** SHAME KLIPSCH WHAT A SHAME....OLD MAN KLIPSCH IS ROLLING OVER IN HIS GRAVE!

The TOTAL LACK OF RESPECT of SUB-10 and SUB-12 CUSTOMERS is Very, Very Disheartening and has given me a reason to NEVER Recommend any Product KLIPSCH is Producing OVER SEAS.

KLIPSCH Should be willing to send out NEW BASH AMPS with CALL TAGS from U.P.S. to return Old Bad Amps to those CUSTOMERS with Bad AMPS free of Charge.

can you grind my axe while you're at it? ..btw, Old man Ford's company has all sorts of american made quality control issues that result in headaches and safety issues. and they are exceedingly more likely to try and skirt responsibility for fixing the problem free of charge. Quality control issues are not a nation-specific problem. crawl back to your hole please...

thaddeussmith who ever you are..... Number 1. you must be a NON American or............................................

......................................... Number 2. you are too young to know better or................................................................................

.................................... Number 3. you are one of the FLUNKY's who work in the Sweat Shop who built the Amps for the SUB-10' & 12's.

thaddeussmith who ever you are..... Number 1. you must be a NON American or............................................

......................................... Number 2. you are too young to know better or................................................................................

.................................... Number 3. you are one of the FLUNKY's who work in the Sweat Shop who built the Amps for the SUB-10' & 12's.

Wrong on all 3 counts.