DYI JUBILEE THOUGHTS. MAYBE A HYBRID??

Fast1

Thankyou for your information, but I'm not interested in the tops.

My tops could be close too, equal, or better then the tops the Jubilee uses. I'm only interested in the bass horn for now.

I just did a search for the Jubilee. It said that I have selected a discontinued product.

• Like 1

See http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/kpt-jubilee-535-overview/ for the 3-way commercial version. Only one person that I'm aware of used the 3-way version at home. Everyone else goes through Roy Delgado (bodcaw boy) to acquire the home version.

You might be pleasantly (or depending on the magnitude of your current investment in Altec products, unpleasantly) surprised about the K402 - but clearly I'm not the guy that's going to convince you to listen to a pair of Jubs.

Enjoy - looks like you're doing fairly well there in your HT as is...

Chris

Q-man... if I recall, you build furniture or maybe cabinets? If I recall correctly, you above most others, probably have the best tools and raw skillset to build one of these in your sleep, should you choose to do so.

I know that Rigma built a pair and when he was done his attitude was essentially "if I knew going in, what I know now... I would have just bought a pair and been done with it"

I'm not familar with the horns you have (never heard kinda thing) but part of the strength of the Jubilee in my opinion is the top horn and the dispersion it provides. If you are happy with your setup then I'd say give it a whirl. If you want to play later, you can always buy more stuff (top horns).

If you want to hear a pair, the closest pair to you is 6foot8 (Eric). I don't remember where he lives but I think he's in the Orlando area? After that you are in Texas or TN as best I remember.

Eric is the guy who has the Cinema 3-way setup so even if you DID hear his you would not be hearing what we're using because we've all had the horns reconfigured and in the 2-way format are using the 3-way tweeter driver (K69) on our top horn after having dropped the midrange driver (K1132) and tweeter horn. (got it?!!)

You have a unique setup as well with the center channel configuration you did. I'd expect if you ever did look into some Klipsch top horns you'd almost be forced to use the smaller K510 because of how huge the K402 is and my (bad) memory of how you fit your center Khorn within its own little cubbyhole. I'm trying to look at your avatar to get a good refresh of my memory.

Regardless.... you certainly have the skillset to build one of these and could probably knock them out during a 15 minute lunch break as contrasted with the months it would take a goob like me to do!

I'd suggest you give them a listen. I know this ain't too likely BUT... if you ever find yourself in Knoxville area, and happen to have your top horns with you (hahahaha) you are more than welcome to swing by and we'll simply set them up and you can give it a go!

Roy has worked to make the build on the Jubilee bass bin easier for the shop guys and more solid over the past couple of years.That means a new one wouldn't be built quite the same as the first ones.

I would say they are a steal at the price they will sell them.

Bruce

Yep! crappie horns, crappie equipment, crappie recordings(monitered on crappie loudspeakers/equipment, crappie studio acoustics, tailored sound to play back on crappie equipment in crappie enviroments and just plain crappie taste).

Plenty of crap to go around!

Everything is 50% crap, except of course for crap, which is 100% crap...

Coytee,

I have a small cabinet shop/ showroom. I do kitchens, bathrooms, and such for local home builders. Then I also remodel kitchens. Times arn't good, but remodels are taking off again.

You may recall that I spent about two years trying different midrange drivers and horns to use with my Klipschorns. Thank God for ebay, you buy them, you try them, and sell them for the same price that you payed for them. It's great for trying out a lot of different equipment. Once I found the right combination for my taste, I shipped them all to John Warren to design the network for them. I couldn't have done this without him. I loved the sound improvement with my make shift networks. As soon as I received his networks I did an A/B comparison with what I was listening with. Another veil was lifted. My tops make the stock Klipschorns sound like you stuffed pillows in the horns. We don't need to go there. They are worth trying first. Then it would be nice to compare them to the K402.

No K510 for me. I learned long ago that I like my theater area to use identical speakers all around.

I'm buying, or the bank is, a larger building. I will have more shop room, so I'm thinking of building bass horns again. I want to experiment again, and settle on one to use in my new theater room. I built the Jensen Imperial, and I going to consider that one too, the bass is a lot more powerfull then the Kipschorns. I built the Universisy Classic, or Dean. That one makes be drool. The mid bass is so clean and punchy, but it also has a hollow sound that I'm not sure is right. Reading about you guys and the Jubilee is making me want to throw that one in the mix. Then I will set up all four bass horns with my tops and A/B them. The winner will go into the theater. It's great to go somewhere to listen to a speaker, but you really need to have them in the same room. A plus with this new building is that I'll also have a 24' by 55' room to put a theater/kitchen in. I may move in there. If I do, the center channel speaker will go behind a screen.

I havn't been on the Forum for some time. That is because I stopped experimenting and didn't have much to share. I became very satisfied with the sound of my system, and I ran out of room to play.

Thanks for the invite.

• Like 1

Hey Q-Man

If you got the itch I say try the Jub. It should make an awesome foundation for your HF horns.

I own the Jubs with the K402/TAD TD4002 driver and the synergy of this combination's detail and presentation still makes me stop and go Wow!.....when listening to my music and listening sessions that start out to last an hour or so can turn into several before I have to stop. Sometimes I'll even be in the next room to the system and the detail, realism and sense of real live music in the next room will get my attention unexpectedly and I'll have to go back in and listen for awhile.

mike tn

Roy has worked to make the build on the Jubilee bass bin easier for the shop guys and more solid over the past couple of years.That means a new one wouldn't be built quite the same as the first ones.

I would say they are a steal at the price they will sell them.

Bruce

Are you talking about the Cinema commercial version, or the home version that klipsch decided not to offer?

It looks like Roy helped out those of you with the Jub. Is that right?

Those who built the Jub., where did the plans come from?

Those who bought the Jub. Have the commercial version?

I'll have to email Klipsch or Roy with some questions.

I emailed some of the commercial dealers last week, but havn't heard back from any of them.

• Like 1

It looks like Roy helped out those of you with the Jub. Is that right?

Anyone that has any serious questions or intent to buy, really needs to contact Roy directly. To answer your question, yes, we all went through Roy and he guided us through the required steps.

Those who built the Jub., where did the plans come from?

I think from the AES paper? I'm not sure that it gives 100% factually accurate measurements though. I remember a long time ago, there was some back/forth as to "did they do such & such" and if they did, they did it because of such & such...BUT...if they didn't, they they didn't because of such & such.... I barely remember that thread and don't recall the specifics of it, just that there were those who said Klipsch HAD to have done a certain thing and others who said it didn't look like they did. So, I don't know if it really is less filling or tastes great!

Those who bought the Jub. Have the commercial version?

There are now two people who have the commercial version of the Jubilee HOWEVER, they paid some extra and instead of a black painted panel in front, KIipsch installed a Walnut type front. Looks much prettier but you still have the sides open. (see Kudrets thread on making grill covers)

I'll have to email Klipsch or Roy with some questions.

Anyone that has any serious questions or intent to buy, really needs to contact Roy directly. To answer your question, yes, we all went through Roy and he guided us through the required steps.

I emailed some of the commercial dealers last week, but havn't heard back from any of them.

(hearing a theme?) [;)]

I would not (I hate to use this word) "bother" calling the commercial guys. First off, you are probably not going to be looking at the 3-way version and that is the only thing they're really going to be familar with. Also, Roy has us dealing with a specific vendor of theirs and this commercial vendor is simply adding our orders to their pre-existing orders. It's more of an add on than something unique which you might experience with your local commercial dealer. Let me put it this way... when I first got my pair, I called my local dealer to see what he was quoting. Frankly, he quoted me more than TWICE what I actually paid. I do think he was trying to take a bit of advantage of me but then again...that might have been his going price, I don't know. All I do know is I was drop jawed.

So... if you have any questions, please direct them only to Roy. you are looking at special order changes and the road has already been paved and is now lined with people who know the program rather than trying to train someone new.

Unrelated point... One pair of Jubilees were bought as this 2-way format however, when they arrived, the tweeter to midrange horn swap had not been done. The order did NOT go through Roy and to be blunt, the order got screwed up in the process.

Email Roy [Y]

As I mentioned in another thread, the hardware of the Jubilees only represents part of what it cost to build them. There's a lot of painstaking engineering embodied in those speakers and they will only continue to be developed if people keep buying them, not building copies of them. The testing has already resulted in two updates to the Dx38 settings that noticeably improved the sound, benefitting even people who'd already bought the speakers, as well as new purchasers.

Even better Jubilee sound is available at a price in the form of the TAD drivers and ongoing research into specialty items like that will only happen with good rapport and feedback between the company/engineering department and the purchasers.

I think I've got it now. Talk to Roy. Right? [:)]

TAD drivers, huh. Top notch and expensive. I never heard them. My day may come, but first I want to try my stuff.

My cost for the top hats were around $ 2,900.00 a pair, and that doesn't include the curved top inclosure that I built to match the shape of the mid-range horn. The 311-90 horn is well sought after. That horn and the 329-A are known as the best sounding horns that Altec made. On ebay they go for around $950.00 and up for a pair. It took me a while to get three pairs, because some people are willing to pay much higher then that. DJK once told me that when you hear a sax played thru this horn, that you have to wipe the spit off of your face. I had to try it after hearing that. The networks were around $ 1,000.00 a pair, and everyone knows that the JBL 2404-H tweeters are $ 500.00 a pair.

The 311-90 is as big as I wanted to go. it's 2" less than the width of the Klipschorn which left me just enought room for the cabinet. They are about 13" high. I mounted the tweeter below the mid-range horn. I wanted it at ear level when seated. Something I would concider doing with the 3 way Jubilee with that 402 horn.

I built the Imperial and the University bass horns, because people told me about them, and I read about how these horns got it right. Now you guys have me wanting to try the Jub. The difference is that I can buy the Jub.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions.

• Like 1

Something I would concider doing with the 3 way Jubilee with that 402 horn

Just a side comment.... the main reason Klipsch sells the Jubilee as a 3-way is to maximize its output for cinema/stage type use. I can only ask that you trust me when I tell you that the Jubilee in the 2-way format is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY enough for any residential use. Especially if you want to keep your hearing intact.

In my opinion, one benefit of staying 2-way is you drop a crossover point and when all this engineering comes together, what you find (or what I found to be more specific), My Khorns needed a bit of room for the sound to come together as a singular wave front (I also had the 2404 tweet and Al K's extreme slope crossovers) At 30' away, my Khorns were liquidity personified but when I was in the same room with them (open floor plan) I could discern differences among the drivers.

With the Jubilees being 2-way, using some signal alignment on the drivers, my Jubilees sound as good in the room as they do 30' away. Put differently, they sound better in the room than my Khorns did in the same room.

W

Ever notice how stuff that sounds good on other speakers sounds like crap with horns. Of course it never has to do with the horns -- it's all that "harsh" equipment!

Yep! crappie horns, crappie equipment, crappie recordings(monitered on crappie loudspeakers/equipment, crappie studio acoustics, tailored sound to play back on crappie equipment in crappie enviroments and just plain crappie taste).

Plenty of crap to go around!

mike tnBig Smile

not to mention some crappie ears....Roll-eyes

I'm not sure if I'd advise calling the engineer with questions 'hey man I'm ripping off your design and wanted to steal a bit of your time also...' Just my .02. He might be busy working on income-producing projects for the company he works for.

Would you like to explain how buying the Jubilee bass horns and mating them to my top section is ripping off his design?

• Like 1

one benefit of staying 2-way is you drop a crossover point

But you add electronics and pretty severe signal manipulation in order to boost the high frequencies. This is what I really don't like about my Jubilees. I'm convinced that the Jubs would sound better with a proper tweeter and a simple passive network to join them together, much like the Khorn. This also would provide the end user with a speaker that compliments a "simple electronic chain" type of system, instead of mandating the complication of adding additional electronics, multiple amplifiers, and more wiring.

Fine for a 200 seat movie theater, but not necessarily for my living room. JMO.

Greg

Edit: I forgot. Whenever I comment on Jubs, I need to first say how much I love my Jubs and I truly am lucky to be able to own a pair. Impressive speakers for sure.

I'm not sure if I'd advise calling the engineer with questions 'hey man I'm ripping off your design and wanted to steal a bit of your time also...' Just my .02. He might be busy working on income-producing projects for the company he works for.

Actually Michael contacting Roy is the best advise. Roy has give his time very generously to all you have shown interest in the Jubilee.

Roy has asked many times that if "anyone" has questions about the Jubs to please e-mail him. The Jub has a special place in Roy's heart as anyone who has spoken with him can tell you. So Roy saw some of us on the forum wanting Jubs and decided to take the time to help some of us try to acheive this. Because of the special process it requires to obtain them for home use he request again anyone with questions to contact him only because otherwise it causes confusion and problems for all involved.

mike tn[:)]

one benefit of staying 2-way is you drop a crossover point

But you add electronics and pretty severe signal manipulation in order to boost the high frequencies. This is what I really don't like about my Jubilees. I'm convinced that the Jubs would sound better with a proper tweeter and a simple passive network to join them together, much like the Khorn. This also would provide the end user with a speaker that compliments a "simple electronic chain" type of system, instead of mandating the complication of adding additional electronics, multiple amplifiers, and more wiring.

Fine for a 200 seat movie theater, but not necessarily for my living room. JMO.

Greg

2-way can be acheived actively or passively and in reality there is a very slight amount of boost in the active version and none in the passive.

I want disagree with the fact that some might prefer a 3-way using high-quality drivers and that's OK to each his own. The K69-A isn't perfect nor is the TAD or Gregs V-Tracs I can assure everyone. I do believe the TAD/K402 and Jub as 2-way is the nearest one though whether active or passive crossovers are used![;)]

Anyway again I believe Q-man's HF section could offer extremely good reproduction with a Jub LF and would make complete sense for him to try that combination.

mike tn[:)]

This is what I really don't like about my Jubilees. I'm convinced that the Jubs would sound better with a proper tweeter and a simple passive network to join them together, much like the Khorn

Seeing as you stepped up to the plate and bought a pair, I respect your thoughts as much (actually more) than anyone. However, don't lose sight that the K69 IS a proper tweeter and is the tweeter that is used in the system when it's in 3-way mode.

I'm only stating that so if anyone unfamilar with the Jubilee reads this they won't misconstrue what the parts are that come with it. It's the midrange driver that was dropped and the tweeter was moved down to the mid horn.

Also... if you haven't done it yet....you should do an A/B with the TAD driver. My understanding is it is a flatter driver than the K69 and actually has some PEQ's left over (for those who are using active) whereas with the k69, we've pretty much used up all the PEQ slots.

If you ever want to get rid of it.... I know someone who has 6 dogs and can work a nice trade! [&]