Time for a new cd player

Dflip

This is what I have at home at the moment. Raysonic CD-128.

CD128_001.JPG

I have listened to the Bryston unit as well and it does sound very nice, great detail; maybe a question about how much soul is in the music, but very good. The only problem, is it's $800 Cdn more than the Raysonic. The Raysonic does about 85% of what the Bryston does in the attack, but blends a bit better. I have it home for another day and it keeps sounding better. Now it could also use some nice 6922 tubes to make it shine more brightly. It's using Russian made stock tubes at the moment and it sounds very good.

When I played some of my WAV recordings and compared them to the FLAC recordings, I could hear the difference on my modified Klipsch computer system. That alone made it pretty hard for me to go for the computer route with external DAC. Both options were going to cost me similar dollars, actually the computer route may have been more expensive to get what I had seen.

Thank you for all of you who chipped in with an opinion. The Bryston is a very nice unit, it's just the $2400 take home price that is causing the apprehension.

When I played some of my WAV recordings and compared them to the FLAC recordings, I could hear the difference on my modified Klipsch computer system. That alone made it pretty hard for me to go for the computer route with external DAC.

[*-)]

I don't understand. FLAC is a lossless format. It's exactly the same, decoded, as the WAV file that it was made from.

An out of the box suggestion, consider a DAC plus a transport. I bought an Ack Dac (1.something) and haven't looked back other than to upgrade the transport and digital interconnect. I think that the DAC is top notch. Generally it is the transport part of the CD player (drawer, etc.) that dies. This way you can spend a larger part on the DAC and then upgrade other parts as you see fit. A really nice, used DVD player makes a fantastic transport. I bought one that retailed for over $1,500 for less than $100 on ebay and when it dies I will just buy another one and not worry about the reliability of a used transport since it can be had so cheaply. The DAC should last decades and you can buy used on Audiogon or elsewhere knowing that the DAC is less likely to break. Anyway, just a thought.

An example though there are plenty of DACs to consider:

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlconv&1254595209&/Ack!-Industries-Ack!-dAck!-2.0 (not affiliated)

Happy hunting!

AH Njoe or Cambridge are good choices. I'm old school so I don't quite get the music server as being logical for me. I don't have a computer near any of my three systems. I still like having the physical CD and the packaging (even if it is too small to read). I order CDs with just about a single click of the mouse and I can "sneaker net" the disc anywhere I want. There are also some issues I'm not sure how to solve with a dedicated music server. How do you kill the computer fan noise as an example? Separate rooms?

Other than having everything stored in one place I'm not sure I see the advantage. What do you guys think?

Thanx, Russ

My Olive Server is dead quite. A mac mini is also dead quite and I think would make a fine server. Having everything in one place is a huge benefit. I can play anything in a moments notice, make playlists etc. The convenience is wonderful.

Josh

Here is a link to my experience with turning and older Dell into a music server. The sound is first rate and at this point my CD players are rarely used as they don't sound as good. The only inconvenience is having to boot up the computer which takes longer than loading a CD player. Buying a new expensive CD player in my opinion is investing in obsolete technology. Good luck!

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/121146/1221187.aspx#1221187