La Scala Bass Reflex Mod

sootshe

Started construction of the bass reflex mod that will fit underneath the La Scala cabinet.
1 box almost complete...still to construct the other one.
I'll try the bass reflex cabinets in position first & if all is well will then veneer them to match the existing cabinets.

I've added a brace on the bottom of the enclosure & also one from front to back across the top as I figured there will be a fair weight sitting on top of these.

Will post my listening impressions when all is done....other mods coming up shortly are ALK Trachorns & ALK Universal crossovers.

Have also just changed over the Crites stamped frame woofers for the cast frame models. Listening impressions are of a huge difference between the two.... not only more extended, but also a lot cleaner from the lower bass to the upper bass. This cleanness has somehow also improved the top end, with that being easier to hear & pick out different instruments. Any one else have a similar experience?

Can't wait for the Trachorns to arrive....Al says they've been on holidays at Martinelli...you think they would have built my horns before they went on holidays!!

post-32839-13819488845444_thumb.jpg

Nice work! Looking forward to hearing your impressions. BTW, Araldite is a brand name I've only seen in English (or is that "Pommie"?) magazines. What is that stuff, actually?

You're right, Araldite is a brand name & it's a two part epoxy adhesive. Great for bonding all sorts of surfaces & sets like a rock with great holding strength....you will never get it undone again!

Are you going to cut the tops to fit the Trachorn? I am facing the same thing once Martinelli finishes yours and gets mine out as well.

If you are going to modify the top, how are you planning to do it?

Rudy,

My tops are in a seperate cabinet assembly as per my avator. I plan to remove the grill cloth...enlarge the size of the hole for the horn to fit in with a jigsaw & then refit the grill cloth back on. I'll be doing something different here though as I want to see the wooden horn, so I'll make the new cutout....mount the horn flush with the motor board & fit the grill cloth on the motor board only, so that the horn is left exposed. I'm getting my Trachorns unfinished so will be clear lacquering the front of the horn that will be visible & black lacquer on the rear. As I have my tweeters mounted on top of the mid horn cabinet I have enough room to fit the Trachorn in the original horn cabinet.

Nice plan. I am planning on keeping the grille cloth as it is, but will have to modify the cloth backing to open up the hole for the new tweeter position and the Trachorn. I have been debating what tool to use to enlarge the opening and also think the jigsaw is the best option. I hope you post pictues when you are done.

Nice plan. I am planning on keeping the grille cloth as it is, but will have to modify the cloth backing to open up the hole for the new tweeter position and the Trachorn. I have been debating what tool to use to enlarge the opening and also think the jigsaw is the best option. I hope you post pictues when you are done.

Rudy,

Yes the jigsaw is the way to go...set up some guides so you get a nice straight cut rather than trying to do it by freehand. Even if you're a little bit out your grill cloth will cover any slight mistakes. It'll be a while before I get mine installed in the top cabs as I have to build my ALK universals, finish the bass reflex cabs, etc, etc....there's always some change going on....but yes, will post pics when all complete.

And of course I'll be setting them up first just sitting on top of the cabs to hear the sound first...after all that's the most important thing...then we'll get them looking OK. Priorities.

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to add that I'm especially anxious to read your results once you've heard the bass reflex mod. Are you going to try listening to the Lascalas stock + mod first or are you modding everything at the same time?

Ray,

Going to start with the new crossovers (ALK Universals)...then the bass reflex mod...then the Trachorns ( as they are still a couple of weeks away from delivery).

Installed the new crossovers after making them up from the kit & really impressed.

They have changed the whole sound of the speaker in terms of the listenability. The difference in resolution is quite amazing. Right through the whole frequency range the resolution is far superior...the bass, the mids & the top end. A more coherent sound...less congestion...gone is the glare & this is replaced by a smoothness & quality that is addictive. It's like I have a new pair of speakers!

post-32839-13819498889302_thumb.jpg

And now I have the bass reflex cabinets finished. Wanted to hear the results first before I went to the trouble of veneering them to match the main cabinets...I shouldn't have worried. They sound just great!

I have no reason to doubt the claim that they extend the response down to the 30HZ area. I remember reading a thread on here somewhere that published the frequency response curve after this mod, but I can't seem to find it again...maybe someone can help with this as I have no way to perform any measurements.

All I can say is I now have the bottom end that I have been looking for & could not go back to listening to them stock. Bottom end is now much more extended in the bass guitar with far greater resolution...I'm hearing things that I didn't realise were on the disc. The LS still have the punch that they are famous for...so this mod just seems to extend the response without affecting the upper bass.

I'm really pleased with the combination of the ALK Universals & the bass reflex cabinets..so much so that if I hadn't already ordered the Trachorns I would live very happily with them as they are. To my ears they are as good as a KHorn but with the punch of a LS.

post-32839-13819498889812_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

So..... sealed aroung the perimeter of the dog house opening....& used off cuts to double seal any potential gaps.

Then put another seal around the external sides. I cut all pieces slightly oversize so they would butt up tightly.

post-32839-13819498891352_thumb.jpg

John,

On Aug 23, Bill Martinelli said "I'll get your last 4 horns on order out late next week." That batch includes your two unfinished horns.So, it won't belong now.

BTW: I am interested in that tuned port bass mod you did. I don't see why something similar couldn't be made for the Belle. If anybody finds the thread showing a response plot, I would like to see it.

Al K.

John,

On Aug 23, Bill Martinelli said "I'll get your last 4 horns on order out late next week." That batch includes your two unfinished horns.So, it won't belong now.

BTW: I am interested in that tuned port bass mod you did. I don't see why something similar couldn't be made for the Belle. If anybody finds the thread showing a response plot, I would like to see it.

Al K.

Al, would one of those have my name on it?

John,

Al K.

Here's the thread showing the measurement details....Al you should be able to apply this to the Belle in a similar fashion.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/65908.aspx?PageIndex=4