La Scala Bass Reflex Mod

sootshe

So here is my opinion of the bass reflex mod.

It does work to extend the response lower - but just not enough (even with boost) - for my taste i.e. it does not eliminate the need for a subwoofer. I've tried it with a crites cast frame woofer and eminence kappa 15 .

That said, it might have value in extending the response just a bit lower to make integration with a subwoofer easier.

A laclala /belle + subwoofer is so much much better than one might expect.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pioneerhip said:

Zobsky you are just down the road from me. Are You still using the bass reflex mod? 

What sub did you get to integrate with your La Scalas?

Life keeps me busy these days. Haven't been listening to any speakers much apart from my JBL desktop monitors.

That said, my table tuba horn sub worked well with my belle klipsch clone . I put it on the classifieds this morning - as I'm trying to clear space. You're welcome to it (and a few other goodies) if you want to experiment.

• Like 1

I personally prefer accuracy and balanced bass 

But that could also be due to the music style I listen to - eg Prog , Jazz, classical ,  70s 80s rock 

And the bass bin has plenty of bass for me 

If one prefers modern music that has copious amounts of low bass, then the bass bin won’t be enough 

Then I agree that an active sub would be preferable 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Full Range said:

I personally prefer accuracy and balanced bass 

But that could also be due to the music style I listen to - eg Prog , Jazz, classical ,  70s 80s rock 

And the bass bin has plenty of bass for me 

If one prefers modern music that has copious amounts of low bass, then the bass bin won’t be enough 

Then I agree that an active sub would be preferable 

When the amplifier in my sub had to go to the manufacturer to be serviced, I listened to the La Scalas without the sub for a couple of weeks, and really missed the sub.  Even for acoustic folk, the sub added depth and authority to the sound.  Some audio purists at magazines like The Absolute Sound thought subs were just for explosions in movies in home theatre systems, but when they checked out properly set up subs with their high end systems, they found that the subs had effects all the way into the midrange, and also gave a much better sense of the size and shape of the performance space, with recordings that were made with all the musicians in the same room at the same time, of course.

During the time the main 500-watt subwoofer was away, I hooked up one of the 90-watt bedroom subs, and for acoustic folk or jazz, it was adequate, but for rock or for movies, the bigger sub was needed.

As for accuracy and balance, it took quite a few test runs with a set-up CD and an SPL meter, from 200 Hz. down to 20 Hz., with the signal to the sub going through a 10-band equalizer, to get as smooth a response as possible, with the worst peaks and dips tamed a bit, before I was satisfied with the sound.  It was time well spent.  The measurements showed that the La Scalas start to roll off as high as 100 Hz., and by 50 Hz., not much is coming out of them.  With the Paradigm sub that I use, the bass response is clean and even down to 25 Hz., which is deep enough for most musical instruments.  For example, a 4-string bass guitar goes down to 40 Hz., while a 5-string bass stops at 30 Hz.

Many subwoofers may be claimed to put out useful power down past 20 Hz., but testing often shows that to be very optimistic at best.

Also, it doesn't make sense to me to have one setting for music and another one for movies.  Sound is sound, so if the system is dialed in to produce accurate sound, it should do a good job with any source material that's sent through it.  Music will sound as the artist and engineer wanted it to sound, and movies will have as much bass as the director intended, with no need to bump it up for "extra slam". 

So that's my opinion, backed by testing in my own listening/living room.  Your results may differ, of course.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I was always tempted by this mod and finally decided to start it. I don't like look of those large box at the bottom. They break proportions of original box. Unfortunately backward firing top hat is also not acceptable as my speakers stand near back wall. Some time ago saw somewhere here slot version at the bottom (cannot find it now). Anyway I already ordered some pre-cuted plywood.

Did some visualization in scale. Hope it will be worth of the effort. If not, Sub-woofers here I come.

ls_bs.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bacek said:

I was always tempted by this mod and finally decided to start it. I don't like look of those large box at the bottom. They break proportions of original box. Unfortunately backward firing top hat is also not acceptable as my speakers stand near back wall. Some time ago saw somewhere here slot version at the bottom (cannot find it now). Anyway I already ordered some pre-cuted plywood.

Did some visualization in scale. Hope it will be worth of the effort. If not, Sub-woofers here I come.

That design looks like it would come out of the factory ( and I give it a thumbs up ) 

As long as the required litres is there or it will be for nothing 

Not that one, I was thinking about horizontal slot. That is still too high, so same as two round bass reflexes. Someone already did similar to  my visualization (internal space in top hat but ports at the bottom) with ports hidden with some black fabrics.

Although more complex, you could make  a horizontal slot, with the add on blox an "L" shape, coming up the back of the cabinet. I could easily have my LS fronts be three more inches from the wall. DJK gave me some different size slots to try.

Now that I have the MWM bass bins I don't need to finish the project, though.

3 hours ago, garyeanderson said:

Dave Harris (fastlane) did a topic

This exactly one I was thinking about.

Basically I will reproduce those 4 inch diameter 7 inch length ports with rectangular one. Only problem could be that on front exit of a doghouse is trapezoidal so it will work like lightly larger/flared entry duct..