La Scala Bass Reflex Mod

sootshe

1 hour ago, Mic76 said:

Good evening, i write from Italy,  i would now if the cabibet bass reflex it's a good choice or not???

Michele. 

...e buon ascolto a tutti;-)

Welcome.  The answer depends who you ask.  I recommend it only if you have no plans to add a subwoofer.

No.. non voglio aggiungere un subwoofer.. sono possessore di LA SCALA PRO e ho sostituito i k43 con i woofer k33 di bob crites... ho guadagnato qualcosa sulle frequenze basse ma vorrei guadagnare ancora un altro poco... sto per costruire i cabinet e chiedo a chi li ha già realizzati se hanno ottenuto le migliorie oppure no.

42 minutes ago, Mic76 said:

No.. non voglio aggiungere un subwoofer.. sono possessore di LA SCALA PRO e ho sostituito i k43 con i woofer k33 di bob crites... ho guadagnato qualcosa sulle frequenze basse ma vorrei guadagnare ancora un altro poco... sto per costruire i cabinet e chiedo a chi li ha già realizzati se hanno ottenuto le migliorie oppure no.

I took the liberty of using an online translator.

“No .. I don't want to add a subwoofer .. I am owner of LA SCALA PRO and I have replaced the k43 with the k33 woofers from bob crites ... I have gained something on the low frequencies but I would like to gain a little more ... I am about to build the cabinets and ask those who have already made them if they have obtained the improvements or not.”

I know of no one who has done it and been disappointed.  If a sub, or subs, is/are out of the question, then go for it.

If you haven’t seen the thread below, it might be useful.

A friendly suggestion, before you go and modify the cabinets you might want to try positioning them at different locations in the room.

The bass will be augmented if they are not on stands, if they are near a wall, or even better if they are near a corner of the room. Give it try since it is free to do.

Good luck,

-Tom

21 minutes ago, PrestonTom said:

A friendly suggestion, before you go and modify the cabinets you might want to try positioning them at different locations in the room.

The bass will be augmented if they are not on stands, if they are near a wall, or even better if they are near a corner of the room. Give it try since it is free to do.

Good luck,

-Tom

Indeed, better yet, get subs.  Done. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:
42 minutes ago, PrestonTom said:

Indeed, better yet, get subs.  Done. 

That's great... if you want subs. Suprise! A lot of people, like me, don't want subs. So get over it.

• Like 2

Just now, Marvel said:

That's great... if you want subs. Suprise! A lot of people, like me, don't want subs. So get over it.

Surprise, I hear you.  Two schools of thought. I don't "need" subs either.  I love them, but don't "need" them. I am surprised someone with LA scalas doesn't feel a need. I guess music preference has most to do with it.  I could never have LA scalas without subs.   Weird... Really weird... But I was mostly content with heresy IVs without subs trying them out. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Marvel said:

You don't want subs with what speakers?   How have you tried implementing them VERY SPECIFICALLY?  I know you have been around the block, but a statement like some people don't want subs for ANY reason makes some (me) wonder? 

8 hours ago, Mic76 said:

Good evening, i write from Italy,  i would now if the cabibet bass reflex it's a good choice or not???

Michele. 

I built them, used them happily for over 3 years, then decided to build Claude's Qpies.

If it weren't for the aesthetics I would've kept them, guess I'm kind of superficial! They sounded great though, even without any additional EQing. As long as you are aware that they still won't be producing any sub bass, I say go for it!

They are such an easy and cheap mod that if you're not satisfied, well you burn them and go back to stock.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Ray_pierrewit said:

I built them, used them happily for over 3 years, then decided to build Claude's Qpies.

If it weren't for the aesthetics I would've kept them, guess I'm kind of superficial! They sounded great though, even without any additional EQing. As long as you are aware that they still won't be producing any sub bass, I say go for it!

They are such an easy and cheap mod that if you're not satisfied, well you burn them and go back to stock.

That I feel is a fair assessment 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PrestonTom said:

Un suggerimento amichevole, prima di andare a modificare gli armadietti potresti provare a posizionarli in punti diversi della stanza.

I bassi saranno aumentati se non sono su supporti, se sono vicino a un muro, o ancora meglio se sono vicino a un angolo della stanza. Provalo perché è gratuito.

Buona fortuna,

-Tom

I have already placed the LA SCALA in the corners and made other tests but I always have the feeling that I am missing some frequency.

I don't want to add subwoofers because I believe that in music in general (excluding electronic music and movies) there are no frequencies that make subwoofers sound ... that's why I'm not interested in adding subwoofers to my system ... play the LA SCALA better with some small changes because aesthetically they make me crazy ... another next change will be the replacement of the crossover because my series mounts the AL and I read that it is the worst ... thanks to all for your interventions
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Mic76 said:

Michele. 

I made this comment earlier as I currently own the speakers that this thread is based on 

Please note that the speakers are custom built with double thickness sides and back approx 42mm 

Bass extension base, specific answers- these are my observations

Depending on the music selection , volume and drive force of the amp 

Thumping feeling in the solar plexus is strong at volume 

Walls vibrate to the touch at all volume levels 

If one puts a piece of paper over the exit port/s it dances with the air pressure  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Westcoastdrums said:

You don't want subs with what speakers?   How have you tried implementing them VERY SPECIFICALLY?  I know you have been around the block, but a statement like some people don't want subs for ANY reason makes some (me) wonder? 

I'm not against using/having subs. Just don't want to myself.

Currently have MWMs with La Scala mids. Tweeter is from a Kp-3002 (Klipsch horn, uses an Eminence psd:2002 driver klipsch labeled).

The La Scalas will be gone in another week or so. Going to my older son in N.C.

Until I get other stuff hooked up I'll put my Herey IIs in front. I don't even use the Klipsch for the tv. I have little jbl Monitor 25s serving duty there.

BTW, if you ever get to hear some MWMs you won't be the same.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mic76 said:

What are MWM??? There are photos?

These are from a permanent installation (theater, club, etc.), from the pro line of Klipsch. These are supposed to be laying flat and not turned up like I have them. Each cabinet has two 15 inch woofers (K-43 in my case, although some swap in K-33). I only use a 35wpc Crown amp to power the whole setup.

Bruce

MWM_HOME.jpg

• Like 2