La Scala Bass Reflex Mod

sootshe

As far as the standard LaS is concerned, no need to cut anything. That is what makes this a great mod, IMO. You can return the speaker to stock in a few minutes. Once you have the bottom constructed, just remove the bottom dog house access and sit the speaker on the new ported bin.

I don't know about the industrial LaS.

BTW, welcome to the madness.

• 3 months later...

I am a newbie to the forum, but have been consumed with vintage Klipsch heritage products for the past few months to the point that the little women thinks I need counseling. I've hauled a set of 83 Cornwalls, 83 Standard La Scalas, what I believe are early 80's Pro La Scalas and a pair of 85 Heresy II's into the house since spring, I think I have the bug.

Bum,

You've come to the right place. Play 2 of your favorite CDs and call Dr. Colter in the morning.

p.s. Awesome looking project.

• 8 months later...

Hello there, looking at building the bass boxes for below my 88's. got them all torn apart right now so why not? Anyways just wondering, I keep flip flpopping on wheter to do a tube port or one like the slots used on the cornwall motorboard. I though that I had seen somewhere where someone specified port dimensiond for the same size box used here, but with the rectangualar slots instead. For the life if me I cannot find it though, and yes I have been searching all week. I have the materials, if anyone can provide that info, or a link to the post I thought I saw that would be great. BTW thanks for the inspiration here. I wish I could hear them! -marc

• 2 years later...

out of curiosity, is there any measurement result of this ported LS?

actually I'm building a pr of LS bins I just wanted to check if porting them has any advantage

for now I think LS folded horn is designed to pronounce +50Hz frequencies. porting it will tune woofer down to 30-35hz range which horn shape is not designed to render! so porting LS will result in a LS with +ndb (maybe 20db) eq in 30hz which seems somehow odd. correct me if I'm wrong

• Like 1

The driver that Bob uses is an Eminence APT50, mated to a horn he had built for a drop in replacement for the K77.

I use the same driver on a 100x50 Eminence horn. The APT200 is a 90x90 horn. I like the one I am using, seems a lot smoother.

Bruce

Are the bay cheeks installed on a crites ct125? Or is that a different horn with his driver? If so which horn is it? Either way, what do they add to the sound?

The original Crites CT 125,s I had where fitted to a "baby cheeks" clone. I can't remember what brand or type they were....try a google search for "baby cheeks horn flare"???

those horns opened up the top end considerably. I've since moved on to JBL 2404's.

post-32839-13819832887904_thumb.jpg