La Scala Bass Reflex Mod

sootshe

sootshe,

very nice work.

what crossover are you using?

I'm using Al's universal, but have modified it a little.................. I've changed all the mid & top end caps for Jantzen Superior Z caps & am in the process of splitting it into 2 sections to basically build Al's AP12-500 mated to an AP12-6000......................... For the AP12-500 I have 10 gauge North Creek Audio coils & Sonicaps & for the 6000Hz section I'll stick with the Jantzens & the originla Solen Litz inductors.................... Can't wait to hear those NC inductors.....they're massive!!!!.................I've also changed out the mids for Dave's Elliptracs mated to GPA 399.s............awesome.............in hindsight I should have just gone with these from the very beginning...........those GPA drivers are amazing!!!!!!

post-32839-13819832889764_thumb.jpg

The original Crites CT 125,s I had where fitted to a "baby cheeks" clone. I can't remember what brand or type they were...

I figured they were the Eminence, since they sold the APT50 on your horn, calling it an APT200.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=290-713

The JBLs should be a great upgrade.

Bruce

very cool. so did you build eliptracs from Dave's kit?

they look really nice.

if you built the kit, i'd sure be interested to hear your take on the project.

well, the 399's do look massive.

Yes, I did build the kit......it was an extremely labour intensive job, but then also very economical for the result you achieve.........and I'm completely happy with the finished product & the sound quality...........you'd have to spend thousands to get a better sound than these & even then I don't really know if it would actually be any better.........Dave was very helpful as we had a few issues with the fitting of the 399's to his adaptors, but he sorted all that out for me.........If I was to do it again, I wouldn't use the adaptors, but would get him to make the throat down to the 1.4inch size without any adaptors............I figure I'm not changing drivers with these babies!!!

Guest David H

another view.....before the drivers were fitted.

Nice, the horns turned out beautiful, scratch that....everything turned out beautiful.

Nice work, Dave

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Have heard about the LaScala modification on a dedicated Klipsch forum site always love to hear fresh ideas. Now after joining this forum and reading your posts Sootshe, the juices are flowing especially after hearing what you had to say about the improved sound quality.

I have a pair of custom built LaScala base cabinets was going to stiffen them by making the sides and back 1 1/2" thick yours are still 3/4". After seeing what you have done makes me rethink my strategy. The hole you have in the bass reflex must match a hole you cut into the dog house in the LaScala?

Mine are bi-amped and controlled with an electronic crossover.

Also have in the works to build a pair of the WE 15A SATO small horns to sit on top. Now using Peavey SP-5's for the mids and highs. Will look into the ALK Trachorn you speak off hopefully can hear one before I decide.

Just got done reading all the pages would sure like to hear your creations when finished how about a You Tube presentation for those of us who are not big travelers.

Thank you

Mike Ross

Edited by mdross1
  • Like 1

Mike,

Welcome to the forums!

The hole you have in the bass reflex must match a hole you cut into the dog house in the LaScala?

If you build the box to go underneath your LS, there is already a hole in the doghouse. The bottom is the woofer access. Easy to match up.

Bruce

• Like 1

Bruce,

Thanks for the reply, my LS's are custom built will have to cut an opening into the doghouse. Should that opening be a smooth transition the opening matching the doghouse walls? Also wonder about changing the speaker wont it be acting a bass reflex with the doghouse vented?

Mike

Guest David H

Also wonder about changing the speaker wont it be acting a bass reflex with the doghouse vented?

Yes, it will act like a bass reflex but at the same time a horn. In my opinion it is a win win. I would not own another pair of Lascala without the port mod.

I tried both port lenths, 10"and 7", the 7 inch was the clear winner for me.

Dave

Edited by GotHover

hanks for the reply, my LS's are custom built will have to cut an opening into the doghouse.

Mike,

Forgot to say welcome to the forums! The doghouse in your LS should have an access to the woofer on the top or bottom of the doghouse. Otherwise, you couldn't repair or replace the woofer if it became damaged in some way.

Most LS, even those made by a third party, have an extra piece of ply on the bottom, that covers the access hole.

Bruce

post-5045-0-08380000-1396972273_thumb.jp

Edited by Marvel

Also wonder about changing the speaker wont it be acting a bass reflex with the doghouse vented?

Yes, it will act like a bass reflex but at the same time a horn. In my opinion it is a win win. I would not own another pair of Lascala without the port mod.

Dave

Agreed. Going one step further, I would not own another pair of LaScalas without an EVM15L woofer and a Low Profile Tuba HT subwoofer. I mean, if you want to "get down there" lets really get down there AND get better lower midrange detail. Superior to a Khorn, methinks.

Edited by ClaudeJ1
  • Like 1

Thank you to both of you Bruce and Dave, mine were custom built looks like the rear panel is the access to the speaker. Not a problem want to look things over do what needs to be done to make the port mode work. Neither of you commented on the speaker so I will leave mine installed and see how it sounds once the boxes are built. Honestly it is hard to imagine the LS sounding better than they do now. Certain I could perform chest compressions standing in front of them.

The exploded view of the LS gives me that much more to work with it would be excellent if I had the dimensions of the LS internals to compare against mine.

One other thing do the LS have any damping material in the dog house?

By the way I have always enjoyed tweaking our sound systems and conversing with like minded audiophiles.

Edited by mdross1

There's no damping material in the doghouse. I would think it would make the build difficult to remove the rear panel. Then you would have to remove the ramps and then the baffle with the slot in it.

Attached are drawings with measurements taken from multiple LS to get close to the real deal.

What woofer is in yours?

Bruce

LaScala11.pdf

Dave

I've been planning on using La Scala bass bin with the port mod, and mentioned this to mdross1 over on DIY audio. I'm unsure due to the eq mentioned. I have ALK ES500 crossover networks and wasn't planning on using eq, would this be a bad idea?

Also, if I turned them on their sides (to use a larger horn on top) would this be detrimental to the sound in any way?

Paul

Guest David H

The port mod benefits the Lascala IMO with or without EQ.

Also, if I turned them on their sides (to use a larger horn on top) would this be detrimental to the sound in any way?

That works too.

Dave