La Scala Bass Reflex Mod

sootshe

Better yet, the guys with the commercial versions that have K-43's will have even better perfomance without buying new woofers. Porting is a cool mod, I agree. But if you are going to all that trouble, of making sawdust, you may just want to try a bigger horn with lower distortion all around, better bass slam, AND better midrange too. I'm just sayin'.attachicon.gifK-43_LaScalaVsQuarterPie.jpg

Looking at this it seems they would both need to be crossed over under 500 Hz but my understanding is the La Scala crosses at 500, am I wrong?

Could the Q-Pie be made to cross at 500 Hz?

Paul

Edited by Toon Army

1/4 pies are new to me and would enjoy knowing all there is to know. What are they,how do they add to the sonic pleasure?Have been toying with building a pair of WE SATO horns along with the ported bases and love the smell of sawdust.

Check out his Q-Pie thread. Very interesting. I'd possibly be interested myself but need to cross over at 500 Hz.

Paul

Thanks found it Wow, another way to go for sure looks like they take up a lot of realestate.

Thanks found it Wow, another way to go for sure looks like they take up a lot of realestate.

They only stick out of a corner about 10 inches more than a LaScala and they take 40% less space than a Klipsch MWMs bass horn, which are huge and create dead air space in the corner. Mine use every inch of the corner but don't need one to operate.

Could the Q-Pie be made to cross at 500 Hz?

YES. Best with an EVM 15L for that, but you have to buy used or reconed since they are no longer made. For $110 at Part Express, the Eminence 15C would be a close second. Or there's an old used JBL that would work also, posted in the Quarter Pie thread a while back. Please go there to ask these kinds of questions as I don't want to hog this thread any further.

Since the goal of the Bass Reflex Mod is to get more bass out of a LaScala SHORT HORN below 100 Hz., the goal is EXACTLY the same when you build a Quarter Pie instead and use the same driver from the LaScala, whether K-33 or K-43. Either Bass Reflex or Full New Horn involves more lumber, more cubic feet, and construction glue, but the Full Horn is the best perfroming option if you are willing to pay the price in other ways (WAF and GAF may apply here).

Edited by ClaudeJ1

• 4 months later...

It seems that the links in this thread do not work. Can anyone direct me to the "Doghouse Plans"? I have some La Scalas, and want to add the ported box......I also sounds like I need to sell the stamped Crites woofers and buy the cast version. I am using Eliptrac 400's and Al's Universal Network. I have a friend who is putting the finishing touches on his KHorns, and I MUST blow them out of the water...but I do have the BMS 4592 MID compression drivers..as an ace in the hole....

Thank for any links

It seems that the links in this thread do not work. Can anyone direct me to the "Doghouse Plans"? I have some La Scalas, and want to add the ported box......I also sounds like I need to sell the stamped Crites woofers and buy the cast version. I am using Eliptrac 400's and Al's Universal Network. I have a friend who is putting the finishing touches on his KHorns, and I MUST blow them out of the water...but I do have the BMS 4592 MID compression drivers..as an ace in the hole....

Thank for any links

This link is for the bass bin discussion - https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/91448-la-scala-bass-mod-again/

And on this link go to post #3 and download the PDF Drawings - https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/115643-la-scala-2-plans/

For those interested

I have measured the Bass extension cabinet of my La Scalas that were built by the Original Poster - @sootshe

attachicon.gifbass_ext.jpg

I've always wanted to try this mod. Does anyone have FR curves of before and after this mod? I like that it is easily reversible.

A lot of people use 7" port lengths, for a little tighter bass.

Marvel - Would that be dependent on what drivers are used ?

I may devise a sliding port length system the next time I am in the mood to pull the cabinets apart and give it a try

For those interested

I have measured the Bass extension cabinet of my La Scalas that were built by the Original Poster - @sootshe

attachicon.gifbass_ext.jpg

I've always wanted to try this mod. Does anyone have FR curves of before and after this mod? I like that it is easily reversible.

See one of Marvels old threads - https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/91448-la-scala-bass-mod-again/

• 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Love this design and am in the process of building it.  Just wondering: What is the purpose of the top on the bass reflex box?  Given that the cutout in the top of the bass reflex box is a perfect match to the cutout in the doghouse, it would seem that panel may only add weight and a bit of extra height.  Why not save the wood and the hassle of cutting out the opening by eliminating that panel and putting the insulation strips all around the top rim of the bass reflex box for a good seal?

Does it have to do with stiffness? 

If it's for support, another builder had the idea of putting a few thick, upright dowels within the bass reflex box to help support the weight of the bass bin above.

Edited by Razzmatazz

On 19/02/2018 at 1:46 PM, Razzmatazz said:

Love this design and am in the process of building it.  Just wondering: What is the purpose of the top on the bass reflex box?  Given that the cutout in the top of the bass reflex box is a perfect match to the cutout in the doghouse, it would seem that panel may only add weight and a bit of extra height.  Why not save the wood and the hassle of cutting out the opening by eliminating that panel and putting the insulation strips all around the top rim of the bass reflex box for a good seal?

If it's for support, another builder had the idea of putting a few thick, upright dowels within the bass reflex box to help support the weight of the bass bin above.

The bass box was built at a different time to the main speaker 

However I believe the idea is to make any modification modular, sturdy and fully reversible in case it did not work out as well as expected 

On 2/18/2018 at 10:46 PM, Razzmatazz said:

It will provide the capability of staying square and providing stability with the weight of a LaScala sitting on it.  You could do it your way but the box will have significantly more ability to twist and flex without a top keeping it square and sturdy.  Take your choice.

• 6 months later...

If you are on a stable floor (and can make a square cabinet) you should be able to use a thin strip of weather seal between the bass portion of the cabinet and the La Scala, using it's weight to seal it off.  No screws should really be required if you are good with wood and braced properly.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pzannucci said:

If you are on a stable floor (and can make a square cabinet) you should be able to use a thin strip of weather seal between the bass portion of the cabinet and the La Scala, using it's weight to seal it off.  No screws should really be required if you are good with wood and braced properly.

I agree. I just made the drawing to give the basic idea. Sadly, I have never finished this mod for my own LS. I sold the first pair and found some beaters that I let sit and finally started working on. I decided to go ahead and open up the top of the doghouse and enclose the back. Life has gotten in the way so I haven' finished them yet.

Bruce