JUST WHO IS THE BEST.....

Gilbert

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there are a few that would be in my top 10 but IMO not the top 10 of all time. I didn't read an article so I don't know what/if any criteria was involved. Was the category Rock/Blues guitarist?

IMO there are/should be different categories of best guitarists, there are the creative with their music than their are the technical guitarist.

Steve Vai

Joe Satriani

Andres Segovia

Jimmi Page

Frank Zappa

Robert Johnson

Yngwie Malmsteem

What are we going for, that is not my order but just some more names that should definitely be there some where.

In my book, Hendrix would not be in my top 10, that's just me, he did some good things but always seemed so sloppy. We'll all have our opinions based on the music we listen to so music style would have to be considered aswell as the technicallity of ones playing ability or lack there of.

There are lots of technically skilled guitarists, but Hendrix and Zappa were originators, in playing style, use of effects, composing of music, to name just a few. Dweezil Zappa plays like a virtuoso, better than his dad, but Frank wrote the stuff.

Lots of people can play well when recycling others' ideas. Technical playing skill is important, but creating music and being an entertainer and showman (or show-woman) are important, too. The categories can be judged separately, but the "best" would have to be the ones that have the whole package, the skill set that adds up to major contributions to the art form of guitar music performing.

I've heard that he could play either way, but he's usually seen playing with the treble strings at the bottom, in the normal way. It's easy to see in this acoustic video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKaLqATmm3g

You can also see the string layout on his Strat in this video, especially in HQ:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjOQ9r35uiU&feature=related

It always seemed odd to me that a rich rockstar would play a "wrong-handed" guitar, since he should be easily able to afford left-handed guitars, but according to Wikipedia (for what it's worth), he played right-handed guitars so the control knobs would be at the top and easier to reach while playing.

Pepe Romero seems to be the most highly-regarded Spanish classical guitarist.

The Romero family is a guitar-playing bunch; here, father and his son Pepe:

Rodrigo, played by Pepe:

and
and
(parts 1, 2, and 3 -- you can click into each one successively)

Pepe Romero seems to be the most highly-regarded Spanish classical guitarist.

The Romero family is a guitar-playing bunch; here, father and his son Pepe:

Rodrigo, played by Pepe:

and
and
(parts 1, 2, and 3 -- you can click into each one successively)

Thanks Larry, I enjoyed those.

Think Hendrix was sloppy.Listen to Electric Ladyland in particular to 1983 A Merman I should Turn To be.All along the Watchtower Sloppy I don't think so.Jim marshall of Marshall amps was in London when Jimi came to town and he dethroned Eric.Duane Allman is a close second though.

there are a few that would be in my top 10 but IMO not the top 10 of all time. I didn't read an article so I don't know what/if any criteria was involved. Was the category Rock/Blues guitarist?

IMO there are/should be different categories of best guitarists, there are the creative with their music than their are the technical guitarist.

Steve Vai

Joe Satriani

Andres Segovia

Jimmi Page

Frank Zappa

Robert Johnson

Yngwie Malmsteem

What are we going for, that is not my order but just some more names that should definitely be there some where.

In my book, Hendrix would not be in my top 10, that's just me, he did some good things but always seemed so sloppy. We'll all have our opinions based on the music we listen to so music style would have to be considered aswell as the technicallity of ones playing ability or lack there of.

Glad you got Frank Zappa in there.

If you don't have Hendrix, it is only because you never hear him LIVE.

tc

Just wondering why so many of the listed use Hendrix licks in their repitore.Buddy Guy is probably the greatest living guitarist.I have never heard Clapton,beck,page etc. say hendrix was sloppy.Little wing is one of the most difficult piecess to play properly.

Jimi played a right handed guitar because he coudn't afford a left handed one when he started to play. It was usually strung for a lefty, a not too uncommon thing. That does put the tuning knobs on the bottom but that's just the way it ends up when you play lefty.

Thanx, Russ