JUST WHO IS THE BEST.....

Gilbert

Being that the article is a tribute to Duane Allman: it definitely deserves a nod to Derek Trucks who is the traveling lead guitar player for the Allman Brothers. Drummer Butch Trucks nephew, I first saw him play with the ABB when he was 11 years old and thought then he was Duane reincarnated and still do even more today. Give a listen guys, and see what you think.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could never understand the point of these lists... Having played myself for near 40 years, i find these comparisons very troubling... there is no such thing as the best art... it's just art.

but if you want to discuss players and the styles you love personally, I have to go with a relatively short list in no particular order...

Steve Howe

Juan Serrano

Adrian Belew -

Frank Zappa

Jimi Hendrix

John Mclaughlin

Danny Gatton

Joe Pass

Chet Atkins

Les Paul

Monte Montgomery - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8_6aa-TTvI

Both those two links above are WELL worth the time to watch... Monte's for his technical ability, Adrians for his ultra subtle abilities, mastery of electronics and musical voice.

Both videos are very special...

Who's the best? I don't know......but I always thought the guy from Rush was underrated.

That would be Alex Lifeson. He is pretty good, and he also appeared as himself on Trailer Park Boys, where he was kidnapped in an effort to get free tickets to a Rush concert.

Its such a tough and personal question to answer. I have seen some very technically awesome guitar players, who would blow the supposed legends out of the water, but what I always remind myself, would I listen to their stuff? are they musical? well using that, I still consider Clapton up there. For me he is musical, sure he doesn't play the fastest anymore, but the subtle pauses between licks, the way notes are carried, extended, well it just works for me. Eddie VanHallen can play quicker, make more noise (IMO), but is not a better guitar player. Its all about who you enjoy. Knophler is up there as well.

• Moderators

Its such a tough and personal question to answer. I have seen some very technically awesome guitar players, who would blow the supposed legends out of the water, but what I always remind myself, would I listen to their stuff? are they musical? well using that, I still consider Clapton up there. For me he is musical, sure he doesn't play the fastest anymore, but the subtle pauses between licks, the way notes are carried, extended, well it just works for me. Eddie VanHallen can play quicker, make more noise (IMO), but is not a better guitar player. Its all about who you enjoy. Knophler is up there as well.

[Y] Top Notch !

Al Di Meola can do it all.

Truth is, "the best" is usually whoever you're listening to at the moment -- there are so many greats.

You almost have to give the edge by default to anyone who can work the instrument and sing at the same time.