JUST WHO IS THE BEST.....

Gilbert

Schu has the right idea in identifying artists across a spectrum of genres. There are wonderful guitarists in every genre, though I'd argue that for complete technical mastery and subtlety/finesse of expression most any player in the classical realm (DiMeola is not classical) exceed the rest...usually considerably. I mean, Josef Eotvos' arrangement of the complete Goldberg Variations...my God! Galbraith's recent Debussy & Ravel, Baruecco's definitive Albeniz & Granados to name a few. Probably the most mnd-blowing and controversial of them all is Kazuhito Yamashita. His Tedesco performances on You Tube are so musically intense! Here's one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfgnmfEiU64 I also love his unconventional Bach #6 Cello Prelude. Not virtuosic, except for the ending, but he channels the cello so amazingly and with such grandeur. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdRB5QGCDFU&feature=related He's most famous for his insane arrangements of Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition and Dvorak's New World Symphony. The classical world has argued for decades whether these involved recording tricks. They didn't.

I've never seen that Kazuhito Yamashita video... quite stunning, thanks for sharing!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"...you can also remove eddie van halen from that list without any argument from me."

Before 1978, no guitar player played or sounded like EVH. After 1979, in that genre, you can hear his influence in just about everything. Two handed hammer-ons, tapping, arpeggios, harmonic minor scales, etc. Like Chuck Berry and Hendrix -- he changed the way people played the instrument. You can't listen to Vai, Satriani, Malmsteen, Rhoads, Lynch. etc without hearing EVH.