content over 20khz?

seti

The argument for a super tweeter is that to have a good tweeter up to 20khz it would perform better at 20khz if it actually plays out beyond that point. There are some super tweeters rated out to 100khz LOL but most are 35-50khz. What content is there in the bat slaying region beyond 20khz if any? Do CD, SACD, HDCD, LP or digital files have any content beyond 20khz? Do amps perform well beyond 20khz? Are cd players capable of 20+khz? Personally I can only hear out to 17khz which is pretty good. I will likely experiment with a super tweeter soon just to hear for myself as I am curious but skeptical. What do you guys think? I wonder if Bob Crites has tried any of these super tweeters. Does Baby Elephant Walk have content that high :)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

SACDs and LPs have lots of high frequency information, of course you need a speaker and amplifier capable of passing it on. Some amps are capable of 50khz and even 100khz. As you mentioned many of the new tweeters (diamond, beryllium) can reach beyond 50khz. It is believed that the information beyond 20khz are responsible for much of the spatial information, or room acoustics of a recording. Some also speculate that much harmonic information is contained in those frequencies. Like most things in audio, non of this is proven but rather theory at this point. From what I've heard in demos. I'm a believer.

All fundamentals in musical instruments are below 5K,,, All harmonics in musical instruments are above 5K.. Not too many mics in recording studios use wider bandwith mics above 20k.. What for???

Hadn't thought about the studio mics. Good point.

"What for???" Bats

"...From what I've heard in demos. I'm a believer."

I'm just curious as to what you've actually heard in these demos...more air, presence, clarity? Do super tweeters with the right equipment really make that much of a difference one can experience?

Aren't CDs very strictly limited to 20KHz or so?

Long ago, there were 4-channel LPs (maybe the CD-4 system?), with info that went as high as 45KHz, but apparently those high-frequency grooves would disappear after the record was played a few times, so that format failed.

"...From what I've heard in demos. I'm a believer."

I'm just curious as to what you've actually heard in these demos...more air, presence, clarity? Do super tweeters with the right equipment really make that much of a difference one can experience?

Definitely more air and clarity, perhaps a touch more presence. In comparison between B&W 803s and 803Ds and Focal 1007s and 1007 BE there were differences that I would not consider small. Of course, the 803s and 803Ds have other differences, but strictly speaking about their tweeter performance they are a very different animal. The difference may not be all attributed to the higher frequency performance, but rather the lower distortion in the sub 20khz area? Hard to say, but I'm sold on what they are capable of... very impressive. I have no experience with external super tweeters.

I got to put my 2 cents in on this one. My opinion (of course) is that as far as your ears and source material are concerned there is no point in going beyond 20K. However for electronics (amps) there may be a valid reason for going 100K or better because of the feedback from output back to input. It seems reasonable to me.

For what it's worth, I came across an article on the B&W 803Ds which said:

"Granted, human hearing tops out at around 20 kHz, but there is substantial evidence to show that the range we do hear is powerfully affected by what's going on in the range we don't hear."

Nothing is strained if your tweeter stops at 20hz and content still goes up to 35K.. Its not like holding fart.

That's bad for you, you shouldn't do that.

Maybe this will help your desires to holding your farts...I wonder if you (Maron) would feel better if you took a K402, stuck it up your backside and let some wind blow?

Would that be considered a low pass filter or high pass filter? I never could figure those out. I'd imagine either way we could possibly get a very flat response?

[;)] [:D] [<:o)] [:P]

Ya know... I was thinking about this when I got up this morning. It dawned on me that the vision of Maron walking around with a K402 plugged into his hiney sort of brings a new definition to that old character, Foghorn Legghorn?

Ok...I admit I get strange (frightful?) visions when I wake up in the mornings. [6]