Converting a 4 ohm speaker to 8 ohm?

wuzzzer

I'm selling one of my SVS-CS Ultras. The Samson S1000 amp I have has a switch to run in bridged mode, however they recommend an 8 ohm minimum speaker connected when bridged. The Ultras are 4 ohm speakers.

Is there something inexpensive that I can hook up in-line to my speakers that will make the amplifier see an 8 ohm load?

Why? Because I don't want to burn up my amp. Its rated for an 8-16 ohm speaker when bridged. Ultras are 4 ohm speakers. I've heard of people burning up their amps when bridged when they connect a speaker with too low of an ohm rating.

I guess I'd rather take advantage of the amp's full power instead of using only one of its two channels like I'm doing now.

Bridging amps such as the Samson is going to give you more problems than it'll fix. You'll be running the amp so close to it's voltage rails that power supply sag will rob you of sonics and headroom. The only amps I've seen that can really handle a bridged load do not plug into a standard wall outlet.

As Colin said "por que?" Are you running out of power?

• 2 weeks later...

silly me, didn't think of the answer till now, of course you can!

That is what really good crossovers do! Really good ones, like ALK's top of the line models, present a almost perfectly flat impedance to the amplifier (though that might mean less current going to the woofer, I don't know) yet the flat impedance and higher impedance curve makes the speakers easier for the amp to drive...

Since you alreayd have Bob's crossovers, then you are already getting a much better impedance curve, so my guess is you have another problem (not enough bass depth, boom or tightness)

Colin,

I was referring to my SVS subwoofer not the Fortes. Although, having a single SVS Ultra powered by one channel of my Samson amp has proven to be more than sufficient to keep up with my Fortes. I guess I was really spoiled when I had 2 Ultras.

I was mainly lamenting the fact that my Samson amp can be bridged to output 1000 watts x 1 but my SVS Ultra is a 4 ohm speaker and the Samson amp says to use an 8 ohm minimum speaker when bridging it.

OK, but the answer is still the same, just probably not practical, Bob or ALK would need the SVS Ultra to fashion a new crossover that presents a 8-ohm nominal impedance to the amp, so you can use both channels, which will do what? give you some 3 dB more of output...