Need an advice on a speaker cable, please!

yrtimed

Hi All,

This is my first post here, and I need your help [:)]

I run a pair of Klipschorns on a high-quality custom-made tube amp (45 triodes). I am looking for a cable to connect them (right now I have a temporary solution). I want something that fits the "warm" sounding of the system I have (not sharpening the highs, etc.). I am mostly listening to chamber, sometimes symphonic things (if you're not into classics, think about chamber jazz).

I was considering Audioquest (but here in the New York region I couldn't find a listening room to try, those idiots "just sell"). The approximate budget I am targeting at right now is up to $400-500 for appr. 2.5 meters (8") length. Would buying a used cable (Audiogon/ebay) be a good idea?

Thanks!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you dig aroung there was a lengthy thread a couple of months back. I am running Blue heavens which I have trried with tubes and ss. Avoid these if you dont want the highs enhanced. There are many cables for sale on Audiogon along with some good info on the subject. I would not hesitate to buy cables from a reputable seller with good feedback on AG.

I like to purchase cables used from Audiogon, but check the sellers feedback, ask questions and have pictures to look at before you buy. I think Kimber 4tc would be a good neutral performer for your system. The 8tc has more bottom end, if your system is lacking in that area. These cables are frequently found on Audiogon and are the best cable for the $$$ in my opinion. I agree with Winchester on avoiding Nordost if you don't wish to enhance the highs. You may even be able to purchase the Kimber 4tc new from AudioAdvisor and be within your budget.

As the resident cable Warlock I can say used is a great way to save money. I use AQ type 4, here's a link: http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=AQT4NF Fairly cheap new. They will not wreck the top end, they are a nice cable. If you want more detail you can move one or two steps up the line and still be in your budget. I'd give the type 4 a try first.

Khorns are very detailed so you may not want to use too smooth a cable. The type 4 are good for a middle of the road 2 channel system ($10,000-15,000). As you move up the line, more and more detail is exposed (sometimes too much). I think it works best to match cable and system costs for the best match. If you had a $50,000-100,000 system you might need more cable than the AQ type 4.

Thanx, Russ

Thanks, guys!

From what you're saying, Kimber 4tc seems to be what I need.

Cost-wise, new 8tc are closer to what I was expecting to pay (look here), but I definitely want a thing as neutral as possible.

Do 8tc "enhance" the bottom end?

The Horns and my amplifier, frankly, make such an outstanding, unbelievable match, that I wouldn't dare saying anything is missing.

Btw, shall I try bi-wire? The idea has always seemed to me very suspicious...

russ69, I see your point, thanks!

Concerning Audioquest, what exactly would you call one or two steps up, Type 8 or something else? Do I need something with "Dielectric Bias System"?

Would it be a good idea to order-then-return from the Audioadvisor several times in a row?

wuzzzer, I know what you mean. I was like you, and frankly, I only believe in what I see (probably, like you). To me the breaking point was when I not just "could tell apart", but realized that in my system some cheap interconnect vs. a higher-end one were putting me in two totally different worlds, literally!

As I said: Horns and my amplifier are a perfect match, they don't easily accept strangers [:)]

Of course, what I am saying doesn't mean that there are no overpriced things among more expensive cables.

Btw, I've heard more than once that Audioquest in particular is often asking for more than what it really costs.

So expensive cable does what again? Is your concern that the zip cord/ the radio shack special is not passing on the full analog signal? The kimber cable enhances the highs? I mean assuming you use the correct gauge per the length of run you need to connect the amp to the speakers what does the "better" stuff do exactly? Just curious.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks, russ69. I'll try to follow your advice. Right now we are moving to a new place, so it may take me about a month and a half till I order the cable (I want to measure the exact distances before I order, and also to hear it in the new room). I'll rise the topic again and let you know.

jacksonbart, I don't want to go into that discussion, seriously. Let's say, I am just fooling myself into thinking that more expensive cables buy me better sound, that's totally fine with me. And I am asking people who are more experienced in fooling themselves than I am for their opinion [:)]

I opted to obtain, in bulk, a large supply of "botique" electrons, which, if used properly, more than compensate for using glorified lamp cord. You want to get the extra extra virgin cleaned and polished electrons in the 55 gallon drum for the best results and best deal. Using these special electrons AND expensive cable would be frivolous overkill, imo. A Ferrari on a dirt road is fast enough.

-Clocked & Smocked

SInce you own Klipschorns why don't you use what Paul Klipsch had always recommended? Zip cord.

Those expensive cables are desigined to change the sound in one way or another. Why not just buy some high quality plain speaker wire and change nothing? Makes sense to me.

Take a look at your Khorns and look at the wire used in the network and from there to the drivers. Why don't you replace all that with the fancy stuff too? What's your budget for that portion of the job? If you don't will you have a deficiency that is counter balanced by changing the portion from the amp to the network?

What about all the wire inside your amp and preamp? Heck, it is probably only 20 ga at best......and probably plain copper or silver. That oughta go to if your doing it right. Correct?

How about those cheap coupling caps in the amp? You know the audiophile caps sound so much better. Those have to get changed as well.

You have some serious problems left in your system. You better get extra expensive speaker wire to compensate.

Think about what you are doing. What a waste.

yrtimed, feel free to ignore the cable agnostics of which there are several here on the forum. They mean no harm... or do they? They've always managed to turn a friendly cable discussion into a debate or debacle... search the forum for the scarred landscape of previous cable wars. They have their own ideas and when asked about their own hands on experiences, they usually turn and run only to hide behind their shield... a giant [bs] button. [;)] [:D]

hey and welcome

i would go to this site: http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/etv.mpl?forum=cables and search on cables.

audioquest to me is great for SS, but it didn't float my boat when i went tubes. i didn't like solid cable for tubes. this is just me and my system. may work really well for your system and ears.

for the money bluejean cable is nice and silversonic Q10 is also nice. i like silversonic T14 which use to be my main wire, but i changed out to Q10 for LF and rewired my khorns with the T14.

my speaker runs are 35' to each speaker so i get to research and buy it without hearing the cable until i install it. i have given alot of cable away that i didn't like, but the people i gave it to love it.

good luck because there is no right answer.

i hope whatever you buy works out for you.

danny

For what it's worth several years ago I built some DIY speaker cables using Belden 89259 coax cable...you can read numerous threads about them on the audioasylum board. I am currently building some interconnects using the same cable but a different configuration.

It saves some money and its kinda fun...adds a new dimension to the hobby. I use them on a Cornwall - Mac tubes configuration and have been vey pleased.

Hifi jim, thanks, I know that every community must have its own holywar zone. I am not very good at that, I hope that the active guys do not take my non-responding too personally [:)]

dbflash, thanks for the info, I'll take a look a that forum and consider the models that you mention. How transparent are those cables?

Charles Turner, the idea of DIY speaker cables looks interesting, maybe I'll give it a try one day. My amp is a good example of how good DIY stuff can be (it does save money, but the process itself must be fun in the first place, otherwise it's not worth it, imho).

Ahhh, the cable wars. As you can see opinions vary widely. I am in the group with Mark1101 & Hifi jim. I would at the very least spend some serious listening & reading time before spending that kind of money on WIRE. If zip cord was good enough for PK------ why spend more.There are many other tweaks that will proably bring you more benefit .Just my 2cents since you asked.

Good luck & welcome to the forum.

Cornman

Cornman, you're certainly right. If buying something for more than $100, I definitely want either a chance to hear beforehand or a no-questions-return policy from the seller. But I notice that many people suggest things that are either within or just slightly above $100: Kimber 4tc (used), AudioQuest type 4 (new).