Yamaha RX-V665 or Denon AVR 790? for Quintet SL

Xbar1

Just wanted to know which model would be a better buy. Also which of the two models will give me a better performance in Audio . The price tag is the same for both model. The Denon looks better than the Yamaha (appearance ). Im always been a fan of Yamaha Products but Im willing to give it a try with Denon 790. Everybody thanks for your help and sharing your knowledge with me.

Setup:

Klipsch Quintet SL

Subwoofer 12"'

Samsung 46b 650

PS3

Dish network Hi Def

Apple TV

You will find fans of just about every brand in these fourms. I personaly like Yamaha and have owned several of them over the years so that is where my advice will go Stick out tongue

Cal is right, many here like their Denon and many Yammy.. and like he said we generally stick with what we know and trust.. Though it is good to go out of your comfort zone to see what something else can offer.. but easier said than done.

Hey Rocko, maybe you can help me out. I have a yamaha rx-v663 going to klipsch B2 bookshelf speakers front and rears, c2 center and polk audio 8 inch psw 111 150 continous watts. I have a boston acoustics 10 inch horizon 260 cont watts sub that I will be hooking up in a few weeks. I know that the 663 and 665 are similar receivers. It sounds good, but I feel like it doesn't have uuumph, especially when listening to music. How do you have your receiver set up? or can you give me some ideals on the receiver.

Hey Rocko, maybe you can help me out. I have a yamaha rx-v663 going to klipsch B2 bookshelf speakers front and rears, c2 center and polk audio 8 inch psw 111 150 continous watts. I have a boston acoustics 10 inch horizon 260 cont watts sub that I will be hooking up in a few weeks. I know that the 663 and 665 are similar receivers. It sounds good, but I feel like it doesn't have uuumph, especially when listening to music. How do you have your receiver set up? or can you give me some ideals on the receiver.

I run mine in 7 Ch stereo. Plenty of sound for my room 22'x22'x22'

Hi manutter,

I had the 663 as well. It was a great receiver. I usually just use the Sound Decode mode and let the receiver do the work for me. When listening to music I used the Pure Direct mode. I sold the 663 for an Onkyo TX-SR806, man did that thing get hot. Guess thats why they had the warning label on it. So I returned that and went with the 665. I don't even have my Sub-12 hooked up with the 665 and I still get a decent amount of bass. One of the things I always kept in mind was no matter what receiver I have I was going to add an Emotiva XPA-3 to it. Ok I've rambled enough hope I added some value?

Thanks,

Rocko

You run it on 7 ch stereo for music and movies or just music.

I run it on 7 Channel Stereo for everything now. I used to switch to SciFi for movies but actually prefer the 7 channel. With my floor standing speaker setup - seated between the 2 rear Monitor 70's with the Klipsch 20's/C7 facing me - it is truly a wonderful room filling sound. My room has 12' walls with the ceiling directing sound to the seating position like a concert hall. I used to have a set of bookshelfs (7.1) in the loft above/behind, but sold those. Awaiting a nice deal on a set of KSP S-6's or another set of KLF-20's. But I am really quite happy running 7 channel through my 5.1

Have you tried using Straight for movies? 7 Channel Stereo is fine for listening to the radio, but for movies, the surround effects will be homogenized, since 7 Channel Stereo is really 2-channel through 7 (or 5 or 6) speakers.

If you use Straight with a 5-channel signal, each speaker will be getting the discrete signal it should, so the soundspace will be laid out as the movie director intended, plus there will be little if any processing done to the signal.

It's worth a try just to see if you like it better.

Many people feel that the special modes are more of a selling feature than a useful feature. If I'm listening to music recorded in a jazz club, that ambience is already in the recording, so there's no need to hit Jazz Club mode. If someone was listening to a dry-sounding studio recording and wanted it to sound like it was in a concert hall, a jazz club, or even a disco, that might be the time to use those modes, but I can't think of any other time. The engineer and the director voiced the recording they way they want it to sound, so it shouldn't be necessary for the listener to apply a generic tone adjustment or effect to it.

When closely listening to 2-channel music, I usually use Straight mode, since it does little or no processing and lets the music come through just as it was recorded, plus my main speakers are much better than my centre and surrounds, so that's the best sound.

An exception for me is music whose ambience is nearly as important as the sound of the instruments, like Pink Floyd or The Flaming Lips, so I'll often use 7-Channel Stereo for that kind of music. As well, for room-filling sound when watching sports events or concerts that are in 2-channel or even mono, 7-Channel Stereo is a good choice, as well as for casual listening. 7-Channel Stereo was intended for parties and similar situations and is good for that, too, or when you just want to hear all your speakers working.

There's also Pure Direct, that many people like, but it cuts out the sub. The La Scala bass doesn't go that low, so for me the speakers always need the help of a sub, so I rarely use that mode.

For 5-channel music or movies, on DVDs, Straight mode works fine, with no processing and everything going where it should. Now that I've added a rear surround speaker for 6.1, I use DTS or Dolby PLIIx, so the 6th speaker gets a signal sent to it.

Hope this is helpful. There aren't any rules. Use what sounds best to you, in your room with your gear.

Almost forgot, make sure the impedance switch is in the 8-ohm position, no matter what speakers you're using, but be sure that you switch off the receiver before moving the switch, or you will damage the receiver.