Greek audiophiles again

seti

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brush Wellman the designer and manufacture of Beryllium diaphrams for JBL,, Will be making Be phrams for other drivers,,,4" ,,3',,and 1 3/4" for other drivers.. The release date is a couple of months away. This can open up better sonics for the rest of scratch builders ot there. Its a darn site cheaper than paying $1500 to 2500 for a driver. We can improve alot of KLUNKERS out there.

Consider me interested. What product or brands should be watched?

I am still looking to listen to a pair of Tannoy
Westminsters. There are not that many in the south. I may have to wait
until I go to San Fran.

Seti,,,For starters All JBL HF drivers,,,starting with the 4 inch diaphrams,, later the 3",,1 3/4" phrams,,, Some of the Altec units will fit... I find NY to have alot of Tannoy followers.. Tannoy has been doing 2 way ,,For a long long time,, Long before Klipsch got the itch to go back to two way.

Seti,,,For starters All JBL HF drivers,,,starting with the 4 inch diaphrams,, later the 3",,1 3/4" phrams,,, Some of the Altec units will fit... I find NY to have alot of Tannoy followers.. Tannoy has been doing 2 way ,,For a long long time,, Long before Klipsch got the itch to go back to two way.

Which JBL or Altec drivers would you recommend experiment with these new BE diaphragms? How will this affect performance? Lower? Higher? Or just sound better?

Tannoy is one of those companies I've always admired but more from a historical and asthetics point of view. I hope they live up to expectations. The dual concentrics in a nice bass horn cabinet that is just a thing of beauty. Ahh gotta hear them.

Seti,,,, Performance should be better,,Sound should be better,, If you heard the TAD 4001 or 4002 drivers the clarity is obviously better. The Brush Wellman 4" units are in the JBL Everest II,,, The Everest II is now Back orderd,, I hear productin mostly going to the Pacific Rim,,,Relese of Be 4" phrams will be released to public in two months...From Wellman.. I dont think they will be cheap,,, I,m interested in the smaller Diaphram/voice coil for drop in replacement of JBL 175 or Le85 for now, As far as Tannoy They sound different.. Bass is full,, top end sweet.. Mids got slam.

Seti,,,, Performance should be better,,Sound should be better,, If you heard the TAD 4001 or 4002 drivers the clarity is obviously better. The Brush Wellman 4" units are in the JBL Everest II,,, The Everest II is now Back orderd,, I hear productin mostly going to the Pacific Rim,,,Relese of Be 4" phrams will be released to public in two months...From Wellman.. I dont think they will be cheap,,, I,m interested in the smaller Diaphram/voice coil for drop in replacement of JBL 175 or Le85 for now, As far as Tannoy They sound different.. Bass is full,, top end sweet.. Mids got slam.

Very interesting. I can't wait to read reports of people trying these be diphragms.

The Everest II is now Back orderd,, I hear productin mostly going to the Pacific Rim,,,

If you put a big enough price tag on something, rich people will line up to buy it. The Everest speakers probably sound great, but after a certain point, a thing's high price becomes a selling advantage, not a selling difficulty.

Some of those same Pacific Rim buyers weren't interested in Klipschorns because they cost "only" $7500.

Yes - its me in the video.

As regards the Tannoy's there are a whole slew of products in that range including one corner loaded unit (GKF?) that has masses of presence and is quite comparable to the KHorn in many ways. It is also usually a whole lot cheaper than the Westminster used. Stil has the 15 inch dual concentric woofer and all I have heard are paired with the Tannoy super-tweeters.

The choice is more over preferred flavour than anything else for me. Tannoy Classic owners are loyal to the quick - as are Klipsch owners in the main (particuarly for the Heritage range). Given the choice - regardless of price I would plump for the KHorn - but there is more emotion in that decision than anything specifically audiophile. I long history of good times with that KHorn sound.

I can make no comparison with the Jub's - never even seen one let alone listened to one. I'd also need a way bigger room - and a blind wife.

Islander,,, What do you have against the rich????,,, I probably carry more in my pocket than you make in a month..And if your hungry I,ll feed you,,,Big price tags dont impress me,,, I dont buy fancy watch,s or cloths,, My audio system is based on sound quality,,,As well as my friends in the Pacific Rim..And they own both Khorns and Tannoys... Now your discriminating because they have a higher income??? Thats insulting.. MAX,,Are you inferring to the GRF,, Guy R Fountain loudspeaker???? The classic cabinet design loads the driver with quadruple ducted ports for outstanding bass extension and clarity,,,

Yes Maron - thanks - the GRF.

I was getting the letters confused with a French company that makes horn loaded speakers called GKF - probably....

Anyway- if I had corners and wanted to go the Tannoy route those would be the ones I would choose.

There has been a story going around that an Asian distributor wanted to raise the price of Klipsch products because many customers wouldn't take a speaker seriously that was under say $10,000. Perhaps this is false and the distributor thought the Klipsch were worthy of a higher price tag and he could make more moeny. I can't prove nor disprove this story but I've heard it said a number of times. In this day and age if you say it enough times it must be true.

That's like spending 200k on a HT room and putting in BOSE 101's without a sub and a older Technics stereo amp and calling it a HT.

Or is it 190k on speakers and gear, all in a concrete unfinished basement..

Some of you are missing the point! I think it is about intigration of the "puzzle" of choices in gear and speakers. Add to that a decent room to start with that will give you superior results. Sure we all have money issues at some range to spend, but I agree with Travis. At some level for everyone, your really not gonna hear it. And an extra 200k can't possibly justify it too. (Well, for 99.99999999999% of the rest of us LOL.)

Islander,,, What do you have against the rich????,,, I probably carry more in my pocket than you make in a month..And if your hungry I,ll feed you,,,Big price tags dont impress me,,, I dont buy fancy watch,s or cloths,, My audio system is based on sound quality,,,As well as my friends in the Pacific Rim..And they own both Khorns and Tannoys... Now your discriminating because they have a higher income??? Thats insulting..

Maron, I've got nothing against the rich. I'd like to be rich. If you have more money than me, good for you. I've got enough money to feed myself, but thanks for your kind offer.

I believe that big price tags don't impress you; they don't impress me either, but we both know that big price tags do impress a lot of people, not all of them rich.

Islander,,, What do you have against the rich????,,, I probably carry more in my pocket than you make in a month..

Probably not earned using punctuation marks though.

You may be rich for all I know about you, but that remark didn't show off any class at all.

Max

it´s very nice to meet you quasi personally and to have the opportunity to talk to you via this forum. I know this film almost since 2.5 years and it´s so funny and interesting. Me and my wife had some really big laughs because there are so much parallels among hifi lovers - and my wife saw that I am not the only crazy guy in the world regarding sound, gear and enjoyment and about listening to music. And also the film touches very deep emotions at the same time, showing impressions which are not to catch with words.

I don´t know if your profession or other reasons will carry you out of Greek by time, but you are very welcome to have a listen to my Klipsch Jubilee two way system located in Cologne, Germany if you like. (source Meridian G08 and Oracle Delphi Mk V with SME V, C22 Pre, Yamaha SP2060 DSP/Xover, MC275 bass, Audion Silvernight 300B treble -> feeding the Klipsch Jubilees)

Maron

I have seen some of your posts time by time but until now I never had the need to reply on your thoughts. Now I would like to add my 2 cent.

In my personal view and generally spoken, the whole hobby is about having fun, friendship, exchange of experiences, enrichment of knowledge and emotions, the chance for development - and so on. And it is really not about competition in the first place. And it is not about splurging at all, and it is not about making people upset or to insult them.

It is interesting to see your arguments pro or contra regarding any kind of topic. But with reference to Klipsch products and/or Klipsch lovers, especially talking about Jubs, I feel an underlying note in your replies which - at least in my impression - seems to tend in a direction without giving a chance of generating an impartial discussion.

To compare speakers

I love my Jubs and I also own a pair of Tannoy Canterbury 15 alcomax with ST200 tweeters. And I had the chance more than once to listen to Tannoy Westminster Royals. What can I say. The Canterbury delivers a meaty and colorful sound. The single source concept is way to go. On the other hand, they are relatively slow and tend to tint the musical performance with, I admitt, nice color, icing the cake. But that means also it is shifting away from trying to keep it neutral. I must also note that my Canterbury are 20 years of age and despite changing caps etc. on my old item the Tannoy company has improved their line up as well as others will do, but the principals of Tannoy "coax sound" will stay.

The Jubilee is another kind of breed. They represent my main system since one year now. I keep the Canterbury because I must not sell it, more or less for the joy of collecting things, like my old Quad ESL or the used Rogers LS5/9, originally installed in a BBC studio environment.

The Jubilees also follows the approach to deliver a kind of single source sound when firing out most of the sound the ear can locate via one speaker and by generating one inherent sound wave as the result of the artful interaction between high-mid horn and bass bin. And the Jubilees are way faster and more transparent in those critical areas, where the 15" Tannoy driver´s mass has to cope with 1000 hz plus. In the bass region, both Tannoy types are using the same driver, you have the choice of traditional bass reflex (Canterbury) with big tone but slow movement. Or back loaded horn (Westminster) with old school coloration and some time smear.

I have big respect for Tannoy speakers, but in my personal view, the Jubilee is the much more modern "approach to the original sound" (like Peter Walker, Quad, claimed once). It is not only the better transparence the Jubilee offers, it is the way how they can create a soundfield with the chance to listen to a 3D experience WITHOUT the trade in of a smeared sound like a Bose 901 delivers at least to my ears. And this is possible in medium sized rooms regarding the ability of constant directivity of the Jubs over the whole freq spectrum.

But I really can share the enthusiasm anyone will have when listening to and owning Tannoy speakers. As well as Klipsch Tannoy coax belong to the few ones which can touch the soul and the heart.