JVC wheres the love??

oldenough

Hi Max, That jogged my memory, I remember seeing that system when it came out and I was looking for an office set-up. Sure was a nice looking and well made unit. The speakers were beautiful things, but the wooden cones worried me, don't know why really.

Interesting - Paper is only modified wood afterall.

My take- accounting for the fact that they are soaked in a resin and therefore should not suffer from absorption of atmospheric humidity is that the wood is light and strong and very stiff.

Just what you want for a driver.

I expect the surrounds to go way before the wood gives way - and that doesn't mean that I don't trust the surrounds for a goodly number of years.

I have a JVC A-S5 integrated.

So Mike how do you feel it performs?? Thats a nice looking piece as well, obvious styling cues between the two of them.

It sounds pretty good, really. Kinda neutral, but not too harsh. But not too warm and fuzzy, either. I don't know the power rating, but it is plenty with Klipsch.

It doesn't sound good on my Lascalas, but sounds good on my Cornwalls and other speakers. What I like is the reliability. I beat on this integrated every day, and it doesn't break. And it has the classic aluminum faceplate look.

I paid 5 bucks for it way back when. I recapped a few spots, but need to do some more.

I guess all vintage is not the same Mike, this is my 1979 HK670 Twin (70WPC) which drives the las/s in which it sits and sound excellent, pretty much like the C series twins do[:D]

post-18681-13819499310912_thumb.jpg

I owned many jvc units over the years.I bought my first prologic avr about 1988,a jvc 9xx can't recall.The retail was $1k at the then new Best Buy in Dallas.It had a big display,(not like todays tiny display)features that were years ahead of their time.The sound with music was great and at 90 watts per channel had power to spare,and very heavy.I sold it when DD and DTS came along,it still is played daily in my buds shop.I bought a new jvc dd avr,about $1k just before the turn of the century,an absolute pile of junk I gave to my son.

From that day on I consider jvc to be a non audio company,and never looked at em' again.

I have a JVC A-S5 integrated.

So Mike how do you feel it performs?? Thats a nice looking piece as well, obvious styling cues between the two of them.

It sounds pretty good, really. Kinda neutral, but not too harsh. But not too warm and fuzzy, either. I don't know the power rating, but it is plenty with Klipsch.

It doesn't sound good on my Lascalas, but sounds good on my Cornwalls and other speakers. What I like is the reliability. I beat on this integrated every day, and it doesn't break. And it has the classic aluminum faceplate look.

I paid 5 bucks for it way back when. I recapped a few spots, but need to do some more.

I guess all vintage is not the same Mike, this is my 1979 HK670 Twin (70WPC) which drives the las/s in which it sits and sound excellent, pretty much like the C series twins doBig Smile

I have a Harmon Kardon 330B receiver that sounds a bit better on the LaScala's than the JVC integrated. The SS junk I have around here can't justify the sound I get on LaScala's with tube amplifiers.

Nice looking set...........

"but the wooden cones worried me, don't know why really."

Weren't the Early Klipschorns speakers Wood.............?

I don't remember the brand but a few years ago there was an acoustic guitar amplifier that featured a spruce speaker.

Basically a spruce guitar top in a cabinet with a voicecoil and magnet structure attached.

Was supposed to sound very nice but I never got a chance to see one in person.

JVC QL50 modified. I just bought a QL7 which will be modded also. These TT's are every bit as good as Denon or any other high end direct drive TT, IMHO.

Denon sources TT parts from JVC...I'm not sure how many, but I understand it's quite a bit. I think it's motor, electronics...maybe even platter.

Nice looking set...........

"but the wooden cones worried me, don't know why really."

Weren't the Early Klipschorns speakers Wood.............?

I don't remember the brand but a few years ago there was an acoustic guitar amplifier that featured a spruce speaker.

Basically a spruce guitar top in a cabinet with a voicecoil and magnet structure attached.

Was supposed to sound very nice but I never got a chance to see one in person.

It was a High Cliff Soundboard HC-125 andlisted for about $1200.

post-7149-13819499440734_thumb.jpg