And More Horns

cjgeraci

Its great to see the various tweaks and additions members have made to their systems this year, including the addition of several new pairs of great-looking Jubilees.

I've been away for awhile, but I thought that I would weigh in with my latest addition to my "horn" family.

Added a pair of Altec A7-500s, Voice of the Theatre cabinets to the system, with JBL E140 woofers inside (yum!). The Klipschorn bass bins are still adding bass on the bottom end (cut off at 200 hz), and I decided to run the VOTT as three-ways, with a pair of Al's extreme slopes on the top end. As a result, I am cutting the VOTT cabinets off at 800 hz, transitioning to two-inch horns (with Radian 850s - love 'em) for midrange and transitioning at 5700 steeply to Trachorns and 902s for use as tweeters. I wondered how the 902s would work purely as tweeters, and I am liking what I am hearing now.

Reconfigured the rest of the system and moved racks around. Now, the 7.1 is as follows: Altec A7-500s (three ways) as mains (with Khorn support on the very bottom); Belle center; Belles as side surrounds; Fortes as rear surrounds; and the big 'ol SVS sub. Of course, the Phase Linear Andromedas as well as their bass module are also still in the system - to be used as desired. The first pic to follow.

Thanks for Sheltie Dave for everything (as usual) and to Master Yoda for his inspiration.

Horns are good.

Carl.

post-13160-13819499271316_thumb.jpg

Just out of curiousity, what aspects of the VOTT's performance would be enhanced or improved by swapping out these particular JBL drivers for 416s or 515s?

Thanks.

Carl.

Carl,

The E140 is a musical instrument bass speaker & as such I would consider it a little too, shall I say, agricultural, for home hi fi critical listening.

I think you'll find the Altec 416 or 515 will give you much more detail in the bottom end & also superior tone in the bottom end for critical listening. That said, the JBL is a great driver, but not one that I would consider ideal for critical listening in a home environment. For PA & high power sound reinforcement use they would be ideal....in these situations most of the delicate details become masked & therefore it's not such a consideration.

I've used 416's in Altec model 19's & also A7's & the punch, clarity & detail is hard to beat.

All the best,

John

post-32839-13819499395858_thumb.jpg

Those old Altec's are really great looking.

....and you should hear them!

The theory is all wrong...1200HZ crossover...2 way...but they just motor along & are not at all put out by my custom LS's. That old mid 70's technology still cuts it with the best of them.

You aren;t the only one, I hear they are expendive and worth the proce. http://greatplainsaudio.com, way cool stuff. Inside every Heritage lover beats the heart of an A& lover, while the otorhinolaryingolist gets wealthier. I remember one of my friends parent having a room full of them behind cabinets, that rocked way more than my mon's k-horns.