New to me PS audio 200c amplifier.

gigbyt

I just picked one of these up locally. did not know a whole lot about it other than it sold new for 1650.00 and

is a heavy beast at 70 pounds. 200 wpc at 8 ohms/400 wpc at 4 ohms.

the owner was running a pair of apogee speakers which he said were very power hungry and the amp

powered them extremely well, never any problems.

after i got home i did a little research and found that this amp can possibly cause fires!!

Now im not so sure about using it. i checked dc output at the speaker terminals after a 30 min warmup and i got

9 millivolts left channel and 29-34 millivolts right channel, should this be okay? or should i get rid of it.

im looking to go tube preamp/ss amp into my cornwalls.

Guest David H

Only the early 1st gen 200c's had issues, I have had mine for years, it is an excellent amp and should serve you well.

Most of the early units were recalled and upgraded, and if it hasn't sparked in the last 15 years, I think you are ok.

I would be more concerned about the Cornwalls. Running Corn's with a 200c is like putting out a candle with a fire hose, which by the way you may want to keep handy. LOL [:D]

when you mention "sparked" what would you be refering to exacly?

Just wondering because when i flip the power switch there is a blue spark and a snapping sound from inside the case.

does yours do this? i read in the stereophile review that this is normal, but maybe that was before they realized there was an issue?

Guest David H

when you mention "sparked" what would you be refering to exacly?

Just wondering because when i flip the power switch there is a blue spark and a snapping sound from inside the case.

does yours do this? i read in the stereophile review that this is normal, but maybe that was before they realized there was an issue?

Every time, and mine is the 200CX

Guest David H

I have the black faced unit. As far as know, the only difference between the two is the CX was the factory upgraded unit, where as the 200c was recalled for the upgrade. They are incredible amplifiers, and will drive almost anything.