Is it wrong to purchase an amp just because of looks?

Rhadamanthus

Well, that and the fact that I fell in lust with one when I first laid eyes on that brand as a teen ager. What is it? A McIntosh MC7270.

I could no longer resist those big blue meters. I wanted one as a teenager but couldn't afford one. Now, I can afford one, but just couldn't justify a brand new one. So I picked up a used MC7270 on FleaBay. The thing is almost mint. It also came with a new, never used wood case.

Currently, it is being used in my garage system. It replaces a Yamaha M50 power amp. It is fed by a Yamaha CDC 685 CD player through an Adcom GTP450 preamp/tuner driving a pair of 1981 Cornwalls that have Bob Crites crossovers.There is also a Hsu sub over in the corner.

The thing has some weight to it, I had to beef up the shelf in the cabinet where it sits. [:)]

The Yamaha M50 seems a bit "brighter", the McIntosh seems to have more bass. More time listening will tell.

If falling in lust with a McIntosh is wrong, I wouldn't worry, because you've got lots of company. They really do make good-looking gear. I heard that a salesman once said that the style hardly changes so you can buy a new unit and swap it into the rack without the wife even noticing something's different.

I was already busted by the wife. She saw it sitting on my work bench and asked if it was new. I said it wasn't new, it isn't, it's used. [:)] But, she was on to me. She then asked if it was new to me, I said "yep", she asked "how much", I said "enough". Although, I was a bit insulted when she called it "a receiver"!

And that, was that. [Y]

My first Mac was a near-mint MC7200 that I've always wanted just because of its looks! Never auditioned one beforehand, but I knew I'd be happy with its sonic qualities...and I was! I'd still own it today if my financial woes hadn't caught up with me. Maybe someday when my debts are better managed and in control, I'll purchase another one (although they seem harder to find nowadays).

post-11084-13819499437974_thumb.jpg

Is it wrong to purchase an amp just because of looks? Hell yes it is.

Ferget those pandering pussys, sucking up just cause you got blue lights. I've had blue ****s and nobody ever ever paid me any mind.

If it's ugly but sounds great simply put a bag over it's head. In the case of an amp use a non-flamabble bag lest you burn down the house.

If she could hit the low notes, as well as she can hit the high notes ,she'd be in my rack right now.

Sound first, looks last.

post-14801-13819499504688_thumb.jpg