Polk Audio

Sinatra

Along with this forum I am also apart of the club polk opinion forum. Now when I ever mention a klipsch speaker they all laugh like they never seen a worse speaker in there life. What the hell is up with that. They are always telling me that horns are updated and that klipsch really does not hold a place in todays line of speakers. I think thats total bull too. Can anyone tell me why they have formed suck mad rage against such a historical company. Paul must be turning in his grave to hear crap like that.

-Sinatra

"Food ,water and sound....Pick two"

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reminds me of an old Beatle's rumor. Paul is definitely very much alive and kicking. See the post on his book signing in February.

I think most people that attack Klipsch products have either never heard them, never heard them properly setup and amp'd, or don't care for the sound of live music.

Doug

------------------

My System

i just did, they complain aboutlack of midrange and too much high ness

iDoNtKnOe2k1 from the Klipsch BB posts there, not often though Smile.gif you have to register and have a polk serial number (from the back of a pol product) to register... i just put a random number and got in Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

ProMedia 5.1 Tech Help

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

At least they have enough pride in their product to provide a BB for their users.

And the users actually like what they have and care enough post and talk about it.

We certainly have more in common with them then we or they have with anyone else.

------------------

deanG

About a year someone gave me a pair of moderately sized Polks with that "famous soft dome tweeter" Polk used for so many years. I carefully placed them on top of my big old Bozaks for an A/B comparison (these were now MY speakers, so I definitely hoping for the best!!!! I was also using decent tube equipment, by the way.) Well, that tizzy tweeter was, well, less than ideal. Midrange was almost absent.

Compared to my Bozaks (and Cornwalls), these speakers just couldn't cut it - all the way around. Given the lackluster performance, I gave the speakers away. Funny, the guy I gave them to, liked them - when he told me that on the phone, I made that classic David Letterman look - you know that "are you alright" look?

Bozaks and Cornwalls are somewhat midrange foward, so it sounds like the vocalist is right out front and not drowned out by the band - to me, a good thing. Every Polk I have EVER heard is weak in the midrange, making the vocalist seem buried by the band - just not my taste in sound.

On the upside, the bass some Polks put out can be pretty punchy. Also some Polks I've heard have good imaging.

I haven't really heard their newest stuff, so they may be really great now, I don't know. I've heard a number of Polks over the years and owned a couple of pairs, but I've come to realize: they just don't do it for my ears (nor my wife's - she made the same sonic conclusions, without any prompting).

Anyway, if some of you guys out there are enjoying your Polks, or contemplating buying a pair, let your OWN EARS be the judge.

Warmest regards,

Andy

This message has been edited by Klipschguy on 03-02-2002 at 05:56 PM

The first time I heard a pair of Polk Audio Speakers (one of the big suckers, with several drivers) was in a shop ... it was one of those somewhat embarassing moments with the salesperson, when I was supposed to make a response like, "Ahh, so that's what all the fuss is about" or "Niiiiice", and I don't think I said a single word... the sound was so bland compared to the Klipsch quality I was using as a reference, I believe I just nodded, and maybe said "Mmm hmmm"... and went on.

I don't use this single experience to form a solid anti-Polk opinion; but I do not remember ever hearing a pair of Klipsch speakers and arriving at the same or a similar conclusion... I am dreading a visit to my sister and her husband out west this summer: they have owned a pair of Polk's for several years, and I have yet to visit them - I will no doubt be given the same uncomfortable challenge as I did at the stereo shop years ago, and I will have to come up with something polite to say... hopefully, I will be more impressed....

This message has been edited by chuckears on 03-02-2002 at 06:47 PM

Compared to Bose and the theater-in-a-box, Polk is great. Compared to Klipsch, Polk is just OK. I do like some of the all-in-one Polk systems, they are simple and small, for a second home theater or the like.

There is definately a rivalery between some of the companies, but I think us Klipschies are a little more open about different speakers, just because we like the hobby and not the speakers over it.

However, Polk uses small voice coils and magnets with cheap cones and surrounds, but they spend all the money on the cabinets instead of the sound. I would NEVER EVER compare the large Polk floor standers to a klipsch Synergy or Renerence, it would be evil.

Yes...thats what i said, you can't compare polk to klipsch...its just not right. I was just wondering why they all treat polk like the god of speakers. They even had the nerve to compare polk to brands like Martin Login, Sunfire and B & W...they are nuts.

-Sinatra

quote:

Originally posted by deang:

i think you can compare anything to anything

whats wrong with comparing Polk to B&W? I think B&W makes some of the most boring sounding speakers I've ever heard.

and they look like something you would see on The Jetson's

------------------

-justin

ProMedia 5.1 Tech Help

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

Just go tback from The Great Indoors, they sell Jamo, Nakamitchi, Polk Audio and MK Speaker systems, oh and BOSE...

I went to the BOSE and just laughed... the bass was nice (nothing better than my ProMedia's though) but the midrange from teh tweeters (aka the cubes) was terrible.

But i went into the home theater section, kept seperate from the BOSE speakers haha, and listened to some Polk speakers. They sound pretty nice, the JAMO subs have some great punch, but everytime i would touch them they would go BUMPH... like i just shocked them... weird. ANyways, we were watching The Fast and the Furious and the bass that the front channel Polks was so strong that the front left fell 5 feet to the ground! they were still kicking though. I really like the looks of the Polks, but the tweeters, especially the inwall speaker tweeters, leave much to be desired. The bass was nice, but they were running 4 subs... haha, not a real good way to test a certain package of speakers (they match speakers like they were in a HT in a box, making novices able to get a good match). I do like the polks, the price is nice, but i miss the horn tweeters. The affordable (to me) Polk speakers I do NOT care for. They are just too small to me, smaller than the ProMedia's i have which are not made for a home theater to start off with.

I also listened to a Mirage sub. This thing was REALLY nice. The sub woofer surround were really thick, i was kinda surprised at how thick it was, and the cone felt like it would be 1/16 of an inch thick and like a solid fiber, like the Jamo subs.

I have hear just about nothing about Jamo... how are they? Nakamichi... over priced to me, looks are nice, but over priced. In the SUPER home theater they used Mirage, they are very pleasing to the ears, not harsh or anything, but it sounded to me that they were holding something back, while the Polks had a letter H between me and the speaker (don't ask, i have a weird way of listening...) Like it was being HHHHHHHHH'ed the whole time they were being played... (something with the midrange...)

I listened to the BOSE... the bass was ok, great for a small explosion for a person who is into plasma tv's where 'less is more'. but the midrage just was not there and the highs were sub par. the new receiver that they use has like doubled in size, and only held one disc. i had to turn htem to 60 to get any sound, and it was boomy and ear tiring.

the TV selection at teh great indoors is massive. the prices are good also. i saw a SONY projector onto a probably 8 foot screen (the Mirage super home theater room). WOW. The picture was amazing... i would wait an extra 4 months for the DVD and never go to a theater if i had this kind of projector. all teh seats were taken in this room so i sat on teh Mirage sub... i think I had the best seat in the house Smile.gif

yeah, so this is my story for the day.

------------------

-justin

ProMedia 5.1 Tech Help

I love POLK!!!!

Polk is the reason I got into Klipsch in the beginning.

I went to a HT store to audition a pair of really nice looking Polk tower speakers. After the audition the salesperson told me to try the Klipsch speakers. He hooked up a pair of CF-1s and they blew me away. They were so much more detailed, crisp, and clear compared to the Polks that I bought them on the spot even though they were more than I wanted to spend.

Thank you Polk!

I own Klipsch and Polk.

I recently upgraded to Cornwalls, and love them!

On Polks, I own a pair of original Polk Audio, circa 1976, Monitor 10s and a pair of LF12 subwoofers. I purchased the Monitor 10s new in 1976, comparing these to the Dahlquist DQ-10s at that time. The Monitor 10s

at that time were well-regarded for their price. The bass output was superior to the DQ-10s. The imaging and the sound overall was very good, for their price.

Also, the cabinets and quality control were very good, as Matthew Polk was hand-assemblying these at his very small Baltimore shop. That all changed in about a year

after word got out about his products. Mine were among the first Monitor 10s made, and have stood the test of time.

Comparing the Klipsch Heritage stuff to my Monitor 10s is no comparison. The Cornwalls are in another class altogether, and sound much better in the soundstaging, imaging, midrange and bass. Cleaner, more definition, uncolored mid-range vocals compared to the Polks.

My 2 teenage sons immediately heard the improvement when I hooked up the Cornwalls. And the sensitivity...

My Polks will now due their work in the rec.room HT, while the Klipsch will be the 2 -channel reference.

But a vail was lifted when the Klipsch were fired...

I've been over at the Polk site over the last couple of days and those people are generally not very informed, arrogant, and fairly immature. I have no idea why they even have a message board.

------------------

deanG