Let's do this

Greetings Everyone,

Here it is, my first post! The "want better sound bug" has bitten me and I've been lurking around, trying to learn as much as I can. I have a feeling the "tubes + horns" bug has bitten me also, but my wallet is in denial right now.

My first post, however, is not about any of that. we've all read those flaming wire posts (the latest in the two channel forum is a hoot!). Well here's a way we can have some fun with it and contribute to science.

I basically don't know squat about electrical engineering and my hi-fi knowledge is as dated as my high school diploma, but I am a statistician in pharmaceutical research so I know a decent amount about conducting experimental research. If enough of the forum members agree to participate, I believe we could design and execute quality research!

Now the coolest thing about an international group of astute investigators doing research is they get to pick a cool acronym for their study. I thought wire interconnectors would be a good question to start with, so something like WISE (Wire Interconnector Study Extraordinaire). There's much more fun to be had. How to ask the questions, blind the study, control the study (e.g., do we insist on all other equipment being the same, stratify by age to control for hearing loss), what our measurement "instrument" will be (e.g., "experienced listeners"), etc., etc..

We can start with some preliminary studies and if all goes well we can do some definitive research. I will post a discussion of experimental design in this thread so we can begin planning if the responses indicate there's enough interest. Remember, job 1 is a cool acronym.

Look forward to hearing from you,

Mike (yes, another one)

pep boys jumper cables would be excellent.

however - i think the orange side has better impedance matching characteristics than the black side.

i also am a little critical of the quality of the attachment points on the ends of the clamps.

still overall - a very good choice.

------------------

deanG

We ought to be nicer to Newbies.

If we do not we become arrogant putzes; like Notre Dame graduates.

Or fill in the blank with your least favorite University.

I do too much polymer sceince meets plastic parts sceince stuff. I prefer the subjective in Audio discussions; a bit closed minded to enjoy many data points in my off time.

wow, this sounds like fun Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

ProMedia 5.1 Tech Help

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

quote:

Originally posted by justin_tx_16:

wow, this sounds like fun
Smile.gif

yeah, that was the best i could do haha

------------------

-justin

ProMedia 5.1 Tech Help

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

Arco, I really did have a headache...

NDOD, It was a very kind offer and would have been loads of work on your part. Alas, I dont think this would seem to horribly important to the ones that hear a difference on their own regardless of whether it is imagined or not. Of course, I personally dont think it is imagined at all but differences are sometimes quite hard to discern depending on experience, product, and system.

But something of this undertaking seems rather superfluous to those that have been messing with cables for years. It's something that might be amusing to read about but horrifying and painful to carry out if even the results as brought up could prove anything.

Still, the thought was there and you get some serious points for attempting this as one of your first posts. You might try something a bit easier to tackle such as a "I need to purchase a vintage horn as my skull has become inpervious to soft dome tweeter output" which might get you in with the good ole boys. This wire thing is quite the balancing act.

kh

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 03-03-2002 at 04:44 AM

Mobile said: "I need to purchase vintage horns as my skull has become inpervious to the output of soft dome tweeters."

I'm leaning towards leaving those a/d/s M1590's alone for that very reason Smile.gif

------------------

deanG

I really think going to the ADS at this stage would be a step backwards in many ways, so I agree with your leaning toward walking away. I listen to my old ADS at least once a week and have a hard time imagining those beasts back in my system. They do seem to do well in his high power HT setting.

kh

That is actually what i was going to do - use them as mains in a 2 channel HT. However - all my rooms are fairly small and the M1590's are not shielded. There is really no way to set them up without the speakers being too close to the tube.

Your statement was comical but at the same time kind of profound. To go from the wide open dynamic sound of a horn to the sizzly compressed dinky sound of a plastic dome tweeter would probably be more than I can bear.

I can get a set of RB5's for less and except for the lowest bass - will sound much better over all.

I have not mentioned here that I picked up a Sonic Frontiers SFL-1 on AudiogoN last week for $950. The unit is less than a year old and mint. I thought it was an outstanding deal. So, the SFL-1 will be married to the Bryston and Marantz DV-7010 pushing a set of RB5's with LF10 sub for 2 channel HT. The music system will be the AE-25, Anthem CD-1, and RF7's. That will be it for me - I'm done and you can stick a fork in me.

Klipsch out.

------------------

deanG

Wow this is too weird!

First off I will be happy to forego the work, since I should use my precious time (new daddy) perusing everyone's posts and trying to figure an avenue into this tube and horn maze given what I can afford (old daddy, kid in college) and my weird listening room. So when I've done enough homework to halfway understand what I'm getting into (OK, at LEAST a sixteenth) and I can ask the right questions, I'll sure appreciate all the subjective help I can get.

But what is really weird is that what led me to the quest that started me onto this forum in the first place is that annoying quality in the midrange and the highs of my two way ADS speakers hooked up to a Yamaha RX-770 receiver to be just slightly reminiscient of talking to a plastic clown head at a burger joint. I guess even though my hearing has gone enough to have trouble conversing over noise, those dome tweeters haven't burned out my brain enough not to pick up on that coloration.

So MH and Deang, I'll give you credit for being prescient ( even as a statistician)!

I'll be talkin' to ya!

Mike

My Land ROver Range Rover had A/D/S speakers, i really enjoyed them. Each mid rage cost $256... is A/D/S still around? i can not find them on the net.

------------------

-justin

ProMedia 5.1 Tech Help