Orange Drops have Entered my AMP !!!

NOSValves

I feel great I just did my first HiFi solder swinging and I don't mind saying I'm Proud of how it turned out. It was actually real easy. The hardest part is getting the Old caps out. I'm picky and didn't want to just clips them and solder the new one's on the surface. I desoldered and installed like the factory did when it was new. I still have to change all the small ones on the control pots which will be slightly harder !! I except "Pats on the back" Wink.gifWink.gif

Before

DSCF0001.JPG

After

DSCF0003.JPG

Hope Comcast web hosting works better than there Email has since Excite took a dump LOL !!!!!

This message has been edited by NOS440 on 03-02-2002 at 03:58 PM

Wow!

I am pretty sure that most of those originals were just fine, but as an exercise I guess it was a fine project. Does the amp sound different now?

I tend to replace parts when I hear an obvious problem--I am far too lazy to spend an entire day with a soldering iron in my hand unless forced to!

Excellent job, by the way!

Allan I find Soldering fun Wink.gif I love to tinker !!

Mobile I went all out there 716P's like you recommended and so did Mdeneen.

The thing is after letting them settle in I'm going to just pull about half of them back out to do a Bass Mod the Mdeneen designed for me. But hey a reference point is important.

Thanks for all the Pats on the back. I really enjoyed doing it.

I haven't hooked it to my main Klipsch system yet. But It does have a tighter sound using my Fisher speakers. My other Scott has been on all day and I'll be hooking the 222c to compare soon.

As far as the old one being bad. I know none of them had shorts or Open but I'm sure they had varied from spec. The voltages are now dead on exact at all these spots and before they varied slightly.

I'll report back later with how it sounds now.

Trying to search down the parts for the Tight base mod. Where the hell can I get a 50uf 475V Electrolytic Cap Mdeneen said LCR brand who the hell sells those ?? He said mouser but I can't find it on there Website.

SOUNDJUNKIE

I did this a few at a time and checked to make sure it still worked. I'm not that brave. I've done Allot of soldering wiring my Race car before so this isn't that new to me. So I'm not that brave !!! It took me 3 day's to get the guts to tear apart a perfectly good working Amp.

Tight Bass mod? Heh...olde mdeneen.

Try Angela at this link below. I would go ahead and go with 500v here as it's an easier one to source.

http://www.angela.com/catalog/capacitors

kh

ps Are these radial lead going on the TOP of the chassis or are they axial lead inside?

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 03-02-2002 at 07:42 PM

I hoping for Axial lead single Cap.

Just listened to my first song with the new Caps on my Sf-2 with KSW-15 sub. My first impression is that its much crisper than it was before. The bass seems already tighter I just turned the Sub up a couple notches it would turn flabby at this setting before. But this is just one song Hotel CA by the eagles. Time will tell the real truth about the new caps !!!

299.jpg

Here is a Scott 299 with the LCR done on top in the radial can style. LCR are not longer made but you can still find them. The Sprague ATOM at 500V would be a good choice for the axial lead cap. Not sure what they were stock on your amp. 40uf is probably a big step up as well. What was the stock again?

kh

Well, as far as I know, LCR is not made anymore and what usually IS available is the radial can type as seen on top of your chassis.

The Sprague ATOM at 40uF 500V is one of the only axial options at that high a voltage. Most stop at 450. You can always put a radial under there if you can fit it. Also, even better would be a Solen but I doubt it would fit.

Are you ADDING another cap or replacing one?

kh

------------------

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

Mobile

We are going to add one cap in the Center tap of the Output tranformers, Also changing 8 Coupling Cap Value's in the sound Path. Mdeneen thought this would tighten the Bass and its cheap and a easy mods. We have a few other mods that I'm considering that vary in there difficulty.

The amp does sound slighty different with the new Caps. Tighter and more detailed I was listening to some Pink Floyd last night and it sounded so good. I thought I was 18 again and smoking that Wacky Tabacky LOL !!!!

Craig

I would go easy on increasing the coupling cap values not jumping to high over the stock. This used to be thought of as a great way to get bass but if overdone, can slow the amp down. I used to do this a lot but have backed off on it. Im sure mdeneen is not making too high a jump here, though.

The 716P should sound more clear and open than the stock, perhaps quieter although I couldnt tell what you had in there before; it surely wasnt ceramic discs like you see on a lot of units. What were the old caps you removed? They actually didnt look that bad from afar.

kh

Actually, I thought I was discussing the coupling caps and not the addition to the B+ capacitance.

In relation to the PS cap, most LCR I know of that are high voltage are RADIAL mount. When I asked Craig if he was looking for axial leads or radial, he replied Axial, hence, I said most LCR are radial and larger. OF course, a standard axial lead electrolytic will fit; it is the larger radial lead LCR type that I was questioning (as in the LCR rec) or the possible addition of a Solen axial Metalized Film and not an electrolytic. The Solen is far larger but might be an interesting addition in that spot as I have found they work very well in power supplies depending (now I am starting to favor oil cans in PS if there is room which is something I want to do next time around - this doesnt apply to Craigs case). Again, I dont know of too many axial lead electrolyic caps in the 475v size; it's a tough one to source. Where are you getting your parts from?

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 03-03-2002 at 01:47 PM