Using Cornwall I in a home theatre surround

Shane Applebee

The best center to use is an Academy.Hard to find,but the best.A single Heresy is the next best.

as for surrounds,I'm happy with unmatched speakers,but others will say keep it in the same family.Just depends on how much multi channel music you will do.

My only problem with my KSP-S6s is they can't keep up with my K-Horns.I have to set the front end at -7 and sides,rears to a big +.Other than that the tonal sound is fine.

Hope this helps some,just search hi and low for an Academy.

I want one in walnut oilcwm35.gif

------------------

Main HT:'77 Klipschorns w/ALKs,'75 Heresy center,modified with,K-Horn sqauwker & AA network.

KSP-S6 at sides 2 KSP-S6's rear.

Denon AVR-3801,2 Denon POA-2800 200X2,1 driving the Horns&1 driving the bi-wired Heresy center.

2 DIY 12"4ohm subs,Carver A500x 400 watts per ch.feed.

Sony DVP-C650D,Dishnetwork Echostar 4700 w/DD,JVC S7600U S-VHS,Pioneer CDL-D501 laser

Music in "Direct"only!

DH Labs T-14 speaker wire to the front 3.

Room size;15.5 X 25' opening into dining room.

Old RCA 52"RPTV w/matching cabinets

Bed room HT:

KSB 2.1 mains,SC-1,SS-1's,2 SW 8 II subs.

Cornwall Is for music only

Denon AVR-2800,

Dishnetwork,Sony SLV-975HF VCR,Panasonic DVD-RV31.'90 27"RCA

Shane, it would help if you would reveal to the friendly forum members what kind of speakers, amps, etc. you have or contemplate having... and whether your target is primarily Home Theater or multi-channel music.

A basic response would be use Heritage family speakers with a Heritage family Cornwall I. It is important to get a good match for the center... either another Cornwall (best choice but hard to find just one) or an Academy (also hard to find). You can find a list of vintage Heritage speakers under the PRODUCTS section of this website... choose classics and look for versions of Cornwall, Heresy, Forte, Chorus, LaScala, Belle Klipsch and Klipschorn... they are the Heritage family (hope I didn't leave any out.cwm36.gif)

Now that Heritage Speaker production is halted while waiting for a new driver supplier... filling out your system for maximum benefit may mean hunting for used items.

Some folks have said they had good results by adding some of the latest RF-7 speakers due to their accuracy in reproducing sound... I would expect a significant timbre conflict... but it may be an easy over-the-counter solution.

HornEd

------------------

HORNED'S EIGHT THEATRICAL LEGENDS,

FIVE+ MUSICAL HERITAGES & A ROADIE...

SETTING THE "THEATER OF THE MIND" STAGE...

KLF 30's: Left Main, Center Main, Right Main

KLF C7's: L & R Front Effects on 5' sand filled columns

KLF 30's: Left Surround, Rear Effects, Right Surround

Twin SVS CS-Ultra SubTower, Samson Megawatt Amp

KLIPSCH SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Bass friendly, oversized, glove-leather LazyBoy Recliners

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

Toshiba Pro Scan 6200, Toshiba Pro 6-head SVHS W808

CHANNELING THE MUSIC EXPERIENCE FROM 2 TO 6!

'97 Klipschorn - Mains, '99 Klipsch Belle - Center

'83 Cornwall - Surrounds, '93 Academy - Rear Effects

Walnut w/ Cane Grilles. Final Amps, etc. undetermined

THE MOVEABLE (EAR) FEAST...

Klipsched Class "A" Motorhome... an acoustics challenge

vandalized... but soon to be "On the Road Again!" Willie.

This message has been edited by HornEd on 03-03-2002 at 12:02 PM

Best center channels in order of preference:

1. A single Cornwall. Up to 75% of the sound comes from the center channel. Not usually feasible due to placement issues, but sonically the best option. Ideally, the front soundstage will have three identical speakers across the front - so that the panning of sounds across the front occurs seamlessly.

2. Academy. This is what I use, since I don't have room for a Cornwall. It is magnetically shielded. Very hard to find, and when you do find them, the asking price can be hefty - often more than the $400 price when new.

2a. Heresy - would also work very well as a center. Larger than the Academy, but still a Heritage.

For rears, you can go with another set of Cornwalls, if you have room. Again, ideally, all 5 of the speakers in a 5.1 discrete audio system will be the same. If the Cornwalls are not an option, go with Heritage models - the floorstanding Chorus or Chorus II, or Forte or Forte II work fine. Heresys would make fine surrounds as well if you are looking for something smaller.

Hope this helps!

Dave

------------------

First we Rock, then we Roll!

H E

could you elaborate on this, please:

"Now that Heritage Speaker production is halted while waiting for a new driver supplier... filling out your system for maximum benefit may mean hunting for used items."

I have a new set of H-II's on order and am hoping they are not caught up in this production problem. Pls fill me in---when did this occur and how long will it last--if you know.

tks Dave

Sorry about that gang... SteveP is exactly right. The problem exists in the speakers in the Heritage Line that I have been waiting for... (KHorn & Belle) and not across the board. My bad.

I stuck in the list as an afterthought edit which amplified the error. Of course, some of the speakers on the list are completely out of the production loop. It seemed that naming some of the old classic Klipsch sound heavies would be beneficial for newbies... so I stuck it in.

As I understand it, Klipsch is waiting to find a supplier for the mid-range horn in the larger units. I wanted the front three Heritage speakers in my music system to have the same mid-range horn for the sake of timbre.

This is a case where my friendly neighborhood Klipsch dealer missed out on a sale when opportunity knocked and I could get three mains with highly compatible horns, updated crossover nets and internal Monster cables factory installed. Yes, they came with some very minor scratches... but I saved some very MAJOR $CRATCH!

Sorry BobG, but I was trying to support the Hope and Indy expansion... maybe next time. HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 03-03-2002 at 11:31 PM

boy just got another chance to get on the floor behind the couch in front of the burning fireplace (don't ask me why Wink.gif) & w/ the cornwalls & C7 (above said fireplace) playing some soothing body & soul from the dig cable tv in 6.1 stereo.

those cornwalls sure are smooth & refined as I realized

again for the umpteenth time. i listened to them in all positions. the C7, though shooting overhead, just does do a fine job. you've got to listen real close to pick up that it's a touch brighter than the corns.

shane, just wanted to put in for the C7 so you feel better if you can't do another corn, a heresy, or an academy. good luck. handlebar.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

oh & for rears get 2 more cornwalls, or get khorns & move the corns to the rear.

just assuming 5.1 here, so you'll also need a good sub for the sub 40hz. Smile.gif haven't been able to fit my corns in front to test w/ sub. but they work for some good low bass from da rear to complement the whole sys.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Shane

I don't know if this will help but forum members gave me a lot of good advice building a system around my Cornwalls. What I wound up with is the following:

Cornwall's--main

RC-3II--center

RB-3's--rears (mounted on wall with BTech BT77 mounts)

KSW-12--subwoofer

Onkyo 797 AV/Receiver

Panasonic DVD-RV31 DVD/CD

Sony Vega FD 36" Triniton

Monster cables and Eosteric Audio 14.2 architectural (in-wall speaker wire to rears)

Since I already had the Cornwall's, my investment to complete the HT system was modest compared to some of the high-end systems of some of the forum members. I tried to find a pair of used Heresy's for the rears and I would have like the RSC-12 for the sub but I put the money into accessories for my Harley instead. But, so far I am well pleased with the performance of the system both movie and music.

The weak link in the system is the Panasonic DVD-RV31. A very light vertical streak passes across the screen at regular intervals when a DVD is playing as well as when the DVD default screen is displayed. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be the cause or better yet have a suggestion for a better DVD/CD player?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Shane,

Your center speaker choices are pretty well defined above. For rears, if space is restricted, you could add a pair of good used Heresies as close as possible in vintage as the Corn I's and a pair of RS-3's mounted on the rear wall. The Heresies would provide full range sound for multi channel music and the RS-3's would give you Wide Dispersion sounds for HT movies. Costs would be reasonable if bought wisely at various auction sites, or better yet check out this forum regularly. Members often offer great speakers at very reasonable prices.

Good luck in you search.

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 03-04-2002 at 02:33 AM