New Job for me. I'll be moving back to TEXAS

customsteve01

Just received my confirmed job offer from the FAA (Federal Aviation Administration). I start work on Sept. 28th. I will be an Aviation Safety Inspector (avionics) on the American Eagle Certificate Management Team. The job is in Fort Worth, Texas so we will be picking up and moving from Virginia to the Dallas - Fort Worth area.

My dad retired from the FAA as a long range radar technician, so I know alittle about the benifits in working for the government.

We are excited but also sad about leaving our place here in VA. I have lots of relitives south of Fort Worth but I really don't know the area or where to start looking at housing, so any ideas would be appreciated.

Its going to be really wierd starting a new job since my last job lasted 21 and a half years, but I am excited too.

Notice it says "Back to TEXAS". I have lived most of my life in Texas. Grew up in West texas and lived 11 years in Houston. Believe me I am a die hard Texan for life, we even fly the Texas flag out front of our house in Virginia. I just don't know the DFW area very well.

I will be working in Fort Worth just South of the DFW airport.

Steve

Hey Steve,

Welcome to Fort Worth!

Working in the DFW area of Fort Worh, I would recommend looking to buy a home in Keller, Southlake or Grapevine/Colleyville. All have excellent school districts that keep the home values up. I live in Grapevine (for 16 years now) and I really like this area. I live in a neighborhood due west of DFW airport. I can see the airport from my back yard, but I rarely get any direct flyovers and I get very little airport noise.

When you get to the area, give me a call (I will send you a PM with my phone number).

See ya,

David

I concur with David - the best places to live are north of the Metroplex. I just left Keller, and my house did reasonably well selling there (which means I didn't OWE anything when I sold it) - Southlake is pricey too but you will learn about that.

I am now in Tennessee, and the first thing I did was name the SSID of my wireless internet node "The Republic of Texas" and will be flying the State flag as soon as I can get a flag holder up...neighbors already think I am nuts. And the TN orange they use for the Vols is kind of revolting, too...just saying. ;)

B

Steve: Congratulations on the new job! I'm sorry to hear you must leave your place in Virgina, but earning a living is so important and it sounds like something you will love. It also sounds like this will prempt our plans to come out to Virginia next month. Please give us a call when you can to give us the details. Best of luck! -Glenn

Congrats,hope everything works out well for ya.Texas is a great state,I lived in North Dallas/Plano for almost 10 years,worked for a guy from West Texas,some of the best people I've ever known.We built some really nice homes in North Arlington area,friends in Grapevine,back in the 80's they were very nice.

I'm kinda jealous. My wife and I have lived in Maine all our 45 years, and we've talked about a change of location for the last ten. We just can't bring ourselves to do it. If I had a job that made the decision for me, we'd be able to have that change of pace, even if it was forced.

It's really hard when you'd like to move to a different area for various reasons, but you're comfortably settled into your life, self employed, with a good business presence. Hard to give that up and start over. But darn, the winters here are too long and I'm sick of shoveling snow.

Greg

• 2 weeks later...