New Amp Carver A500x on RF-7's

draynes

Well for a while now I have been looking for an amp to augment my avr. I found one A Carver a500x. Bass improved mainly, but I think the highs stayed just about the same and for the mid it is a little louder not much. I just notice certain things I have not noticed there before. Got a good price for it I believe. Love the look, for some reason I like amps with meters. I have a few questions. Is it ok to turn off the amp with my adcom ace 515 power conditioner? Were should I adjust the the inputs on the amp itself? This amp has adjustments, right now I have them all the way up, i haven't noticed any problems with having it this way.

just picked up a carver m-1.0t this morning. It's another week before I get my RF-5's, so I hooked up the KG 3.5's and it drives them without breaking a sweat. It's a little harsh on the top end at reference levels, but overall I like the balance it brings to things.

running audyssey through the marantz again would probably help ...so would proper room dynamics.

to answer your question, I don't think switching the power on/off via your adcom should cause any major issues.

I have never the heard kg's but I would think they may be a little harsher than the RF-5's. To me I still have the same problem with the highs I guess my ears are sensitive to them. Eventually I hope to get the crossover rebuild, I may do it or just have deang do them since he is who has the experience. I bought them without listening to them but i still love them. They have everything I want in a speaker. My dad runs NHT speakers powered by carver 705 amp it sound really good but I wanted that live sound and I got it with the RF-7's. I haven't had any issues with the shut down using the adcom and probably won't. I looked at getting a marantz but because of funds I ended up with my hk which also does well I just wanted more headroom than what the avr provided. I have also read that the mic from the marantz should not be to far off axis because it will throw off the reading.I have not had a chance to really push the a500x, I got to about 50 watts on the meters and backed down. It just got a little warm. But my hk still continues to run hotter than the a500x when the hk just acts as a preamp. I don't know why this is, I guess it is just the way it is built.

If your H/K lets you shut off the front speaker high level outputs, make sure to do that. Its possible to damage the receiver if your H/K thinks there are speakers connected to its high level outputs when there are none due to the fact that you have them hooked up to your Carver.

I have a few questions. Is it ok to turn off the amp with my adcom ace 515 power conditioner? Were should I adjust the the inputs on the amp itself? This amp has adjustments, right now I have them all the way up, i haven't noticed any problems with having it this way.

I would set the amp's gain to 1/2 way. Re-run any automatic setup that your receiver has to balance out the levels with your other speakers.

As far as the turning off the amp question, it probably wouldn't cause any problems but if it were me I'd turn it off manually just for peace of mind.

Were should I adjust the the inputs on the amp itself? This amp has adjustments, right now I have them all the way up, i haven't noticed any problems with having it this way.

Does your amp have level adjustments for both input and output? Some power amps have adjustments for output, but many have no adjustments at all, just a power on-off switch. The volume is controlled by the pre-amp's volume setting, so unless the power of the power amp is so high that it requires the pre-amp's volume to be set so low that it's hard to get it right for home listening, the power amp would usually have its outputs set at max.