Mounting RB-61 to back wall.. Help?

Rockingout

Did a search and did not come up with alot. I am trying to mount my Rb-61's to the rear wall about 6 feet up and therein the problem occurs because the 61s do not have a key hole for mounting. I do not mind drilling into the speakers to put a keyhole bracket but will that work?

What has everyone do to place the rears on the wall? Thanks!!

Youthman, those look like they will workbut they say the will only accomadate only 11 inches deep speaker. I just measured the rb61 and it is 12.25 inches deep. What do you think?

"Handles a speaker from 5.5" to 11" Wide, up to 11" Deep and up to 20" High"

I am setting up a 7.1. RF82,RC62, RS52 for sides and the RB61s for the rears.

• Moderators

My RB-35's are 10.8" deep. I didn't realize teh RB-61's were that deep. Hmmmm. My only two complaints against the mount that I bought is that because my speakers were so deep, it doesn't allow you to angle left and right much because the speaker hits the wall pretty quickly. The other thing is that they only angle down a few degrees, wish they would angle further since I had to mount mine up so high.

Bill, in a 7.1 setup side speakers are recommended to be wide dispersion type and rear speakers direct radiating.

Thanks...........didn't know that.

Also wouldn't it just be better to go with the "Standard" 5.1 setup? My feeling is that the 7.1 hype is just another way for Other companies to sell more stuff.........

because even Klipsch only talks about 5.1 in their setups...............JMHO.

With virtually all new movies being released on Blu-Ray, many of them are available in a 7.1 format. Previous 7.1 setups had the rear two channels matrixed from the side surrounds. Now 7.1 is truly 7.1 discrete channels. Properly set up I can see a 7.1 system providing a much better sound experience than a 5.1 system. Especially in a wide room and if there's plenty of space behind the listening position I can see the benefits of it. I've been looking for an inexpensive pair of KG series speakers to use as rears for a while.

i had those speakers mounted to my wall in my 7.1 set up.

here's what i did:

went to Lowes, purchased 4ea heavy duty brackets (they have a total of 10 counter sunk holes in them). they were about $6 each. i also purchased 20ea 1/4" counter sunk screws.

i mounted the 4 brackets so that the speaker sits on the brackets but the back of the speakers hides the other portion of the bracket. the end effect is the speakers appear "floating" on the wall". i had pics some where but can't find them anymore. i have my set up posted in the home theater section but my pics start on page 112. never mind, they show my rs-42's. i'll try and see if i can find those pics.

total cost of the brackets and screws was a little over $30. i still have them. the guy i sold the speakers to, used them as mains so he didn't need them.

• Moderators

Thx for the info twheats. Just curious, did you screw into the bottom of your speakers? As much as I hated to, I couldn't run the risk of them falling on someone's head if they should somehow become loose, since mine are angled downwards. They grip very nicely so I'm sure they can accomodate the RB-61's. Good to know someone that has had first hand experience with it.

• Moderators

I didn't screw into the speakers at all. The side clamps hold them very well. Mine are angled down as well and have not loosened or moved.

You are a brave soul. I can see it now. twheats and some friends are watching Twister on Bluray. During an intense scene his speaker lands in his guest's lap. Talk about bringing movies to life! [:P] Just teasing bro.

• 3 months later...

This might be a little late for you Youthman, but for others looking for a solution I thought I shold share. I have RB-81's and use the BT77 wall mount. The RB61 has the same depth as the RB81 (12.25"). They say they can accept speakers up to 11" wide and 13" deep and up to 55lbs in weight (so a really big bookshelf speaker). I put a bolt through the bottom of the BT77's swivel mount into one of the threads on the bottom of the RB81. I did not want to drill or put screws into the speaker itself.

The mounts work well and look great although with the RB81, which is 11" deep, it doesn't give it full motion to swivel around 180 degrees. That's fine though because they are set to the right angle. They are very solid when screwed into a stud. The B-Tech BT77 is about the wall mount that will fit the RB-81.