Vintage NAD Components

willland

I just picked up a little vintage(80's)NAD system today I found on C-list: 2150 stereo amp(50w/ch), 1020 stereo preamp, 4125 tuner. Seller threw in a pair of unused Acoustic Research AR S-20 bookshelf speakers. This system sounds sweet. I have not hooked to any of my Klipsch yet but might see what it sounds like with my Forte's. Does anyone have experience with these NAD components? From what I have read the preamp's phono section is high quality. I really bought these to turn around and sell them.

Bill

NAD 114 pre fronting a 2140 amp, pushing first cornwalls then my Speaker-LAB Ks (A4500 x-over and EV ST350B babycheeks tweets.)

Both the Ks and Cornies sounded fantastic, and the pre- never exceeds three or four on the dial. The dogs flee the room at 2! [;)]

The 1020 was a pre- that I was seeking due to its' reportedly excellent phono stage. I wound up with the 114 and am thrilled with it.

I've had a 1020 since new, nice little piece, very transparent.

I love my little 7140 int amp, but it isn't transparent... it's dark grey (which I suppose sorta looks transparent when the lights are off at night).

So you want to go down that road eh, eh? Bring it on...

I shall talk about how the NAD involves me in the music, about it's pace & timing, light & airy yet solid with a defined musicality and interlocking detail. How it's presentation invokes feelings of detachment in a lateral imaging kind of way and it rendered the inner detail in a complex soundstage. Finally, I'll mention the dimensional body and dynamic contrast.

In fact it's so awesome I have to keep it in the garage with the propane tanks.

Keep them

I want to sell them not because I don't like them, they sound great. I need the $$$ to by a matching Denon PRA-1000 preamp and a Denon TU-767 or TU-800 tuner to go with my newly aquired POA-1000 amp and CDC-1500 CD player. This will complete my 2 channel system for my family room. I want to get more out of my RF-63's for 2 channel that the Onkyo/B&K combo can't provide. Even though the Onkyo receiver is great for HT, when it comes to stereo music, it seems to hamper the potential of the B&K.

Bill