Yamaha Receiver overload? wiring problems?

JDHenn05

I've recently been putting together an F-3 system. I have the Sub and recently purchased the C-2. I also bought a Yamaha RX-V665 receiver (90w x 7) hoping this would be large enough to power my total system to the point it becomes deafening. I can get it pretty loud but reach about +5.00 db on the receiver and everything shuts down. Don't get me wrong its very loud but not enough for me. Do you think it is a receiver problem or wiring ( i use cheap 16 gauge RadioShack speaker wire)? I'm thinking about selling my Yamaha receiver and going pretty big (i.e. Denon 4308ci 140w x 7). I know its a big jump in price and quality, but i was always told one thing... "you can never go too big on a receiver." I'm hoping its the wiring that's the problem, because putting almost $2k into a new receiver isn't the most ideal thing for me to do at this point. If anyone experienced this problem or is nearly 100% sure knows the problem please comment

Thanks

JD

Try the inexpensive things first. Replace that 16-gauge wire with 12-gauge. It won't make a day and night change, but you should hear an improvement and it won't cost much.

Have you called the dealer to enquire why your receiver could be shutting down? Just how much volume do you need? Do you live far away from any neighbours? Do you listen at extreme volume very often or just sometimes? Spending a lot of money for rare occasions doesn't always make sense.

If the system is new to you, get used to it for a while before deciding you need to upgrade. If you're listening at rock concert front row levels day after day, you'll soon be unable to hear anyway, so the money wouldn't be well spent.

There have been reports of shutdowns by AV receivers here. In that situation I suspect the Klipsch speakers dip to a low impedance around 4 ohms and the power amp in the receiver cuts out when the current draw caused by the 4 ohm load gets to be too much at high levels.

I looked at the Yamaha site and didn't find a manual for your unit. There is an FAQ saying that you can use 4 ohm speakers with Yamaha units -- but they also suggest that the impedance selector switch be set to select 4 ohms.

Without seeing your receiver or manual, there is no telling if your unit has such a switch. It is worth investigating though.

Wm McD

Thanks for everyone's input. I don't listen to it extremely loud all the time, usually when i have a party and we basically turn my house into a club. Like most guys, its just nice to have the power whether you use it or not. I'm not a fan of showing this nice stuff off to my friends and my receiver shuts off when i get to a certain level, kinda embarrassing. One of my friends has the full F-3 set and an Onkyo receiver (Not sure was size) and can blast it to the point the shingles fall off his house. My brother has a Yamaha rx-v463 with a pair of F-2's and has the same problem as i do. I see a lot of posts saying Yamaha receivers are one of the worst to combine with Klipsch, that's my reasoning for possibly going with a Denon.

There have been reports of shutdowns by AV receivers here. In that situation I suspect the Klipsch speakers dip to a low impedance around 4 ohms and the power amp in the receiver cuts out when the current draw caused by the 4 ohm load gets to be too much at high levels.

I looked at the Yamaha site and didn't find a manual for your unit. There is an FAQ saying that you can use 4 ohm speakers with Yamaha units -- but they also suggest that the impedance selector switch be set to select 4 ohms.

The maximum volume on Yamaha AV receivers will vary, depending on the level of the surround speakers. With my RX-V750, the volume would originally go to +18dB, but after hooking up surround speakers and setting their level, it won't go over +7.5dB, in order to avoid blowing the surround speakers, if I understand it correctly. If you lower the level of the surround speakers, the receiver's maximum volume may go up.

To get appreciably more volume, you'll need to make a big jump in amplifier power. It's not like the horsepower of an engine. Doubling the wattage only gives a 3dB volume increase.

As for the impedance switch, it's normally best to leave it in the 8 ohm position, regardless of what speakers you're driving. If you Google "Yamaha impedance switch" or search on this forum, you'll see lots about it and the opinion is pretty consistent to always use the 8 ohm setting. Always power off the receiver before changing the impedance switch setting or you will damage the receiver.

If you're using more than two speakers, you might want to try the 7-Channel Stereo mode. It's intended to fill the room with sound, such as would be wanted for either parties or background music. It could make a difference in the perceived volume level.

Ok, So i think i made my decision. I'm gonna sell my Yamaha and get a Denon 2310, For the extra $150, i think it'll be worth it. Also upgrade my wiring. Hopefully, this will solve my problem.

Does anyone think an amp is necessary with this set up? I'm very new to this whole thing...

Thanks Everyone.

• 1 month later...

Ok, So i think i made my decision. I'm gonna sell my Yamaha and get a Denon 2310, For the extra $150, i think it'll be worth it. Also upgrade my wiring. Hopefully, this will solve my problem.

Does anyone think an amp is necessary with this set up? I'm very new to this whole thing...

Thanks Everyone.

When I first install my amp + speakers I had the same problem. The wire.... :)

I solve the problem in putting banana connectors to all wire.

Regards,
Daniel