DIY Acoustic Panels

Youthman

• Moderators

Ok, I'm just beginning to research DIY acoustic panels. I REALLY have no desire to read through the 175 page Acoustic Treatment Master Thread in the AVS Forums. Has anyone here made their own? I'm looking for simple advice of what materials to use and any references of where to get those materials relatively cheap.

If you look at my final room pics, you will see that I have a lot of hard flat surfaces (not good). Room has carpet and window and sliding glass door has curtains but I'm sure they aren't absorbing much sound. When I do the clap test, there is a definite BOING echo depending on where in the room I clap my hands. I'm hoping by taming the echo, I can bring more clarity to the sound.

I know I need two panels at the First Reflection Point on the left and right wall. I'm thinking of adding either a large panel on the back wall (some say use a diffuser here, especially since the rear wall is close to the back row) and possibly one additional absorber on the left wall (if you are looking towards the front of the room) between the back and front row.

Any advice would be MUCH appreciated.

Michael

I've used sheets of white Plasticor (that stuff that looks like cardboard, only made of plastic) and white Styrofoam, just leaning against the wall, to provide non-parallel opposite walls, in order to control that sort of echo. I think it's called "slap-back" echo.

One fairly large panel of Plasticor (about 3' x 4') has its bottom edge against the wall opposite the speakers, while the top edge leans against the back of a bookcase and extends 3 feet to the side of the bookcase, so it's leaning forward. It functions as a bass trap and non-parallel wall, and kind of blends in with the white wall.

I have made all my own acoustic treatments. I have some 2" panels at the reflection points, 4" bass absorbers at the room corners and some wall/ceiling corners. I also have some 2" panels on the ceiling for ceiling reflections. Along the back wall I have two large Quadratic Diffusers. Take a look at the pictures in my signature link and if you are interested I will detail what I did.

I would hazard to guess that ceiling tiles are going to be of limited use as absorbers. For starter, they would likely reflect quite a few high frequencies due to the exterior coating on the tiles. Other high and a few mid frequencies will be absorbed. Those will have zero low frequencie absorption. Many manufacturers publish acoustic charts that show the properties of these products. If not, books like F. Alton Everest's Handbook of Acoustics likely has a chart for a product similar to that tile.

Just to provide a little more information in case it can help, my panels are all constructed of 2" thick compressed rock wool. I used rock wool instead of Owens Corning 703 fiberglass for cost savings. The rock wool panel has very similar characteristics to the OC 703. For the bass traps I doubled the thickness to 4". The first order reflection panels are single 2" panels.

THe DIY panels are not that expensive and just take some time to contstruct.

Look into getting a microphone and pc based RTA program so you can take room response measurements and get a decent flat response from your efforts.

You can also look for Ethan Winer videos on youtube if you want basic discussions on these issues. Ethan's Real Traps company has a great web site full of tips and tricks for room treatment. I learned quite a bit on specific room treatment issues from his videos and his Real Traps site.